By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results May 7th 2020 - Switch: 55.77m, (21m for the FY) Animal Crossing: 11.77m

brute said:
Soundwave said:

While COVID19 is probably actually helping game hardware sales across the board right now, with people needing entertainment at home, unfortunately if it means Nintendo won't have a BOTW2 type big holiday game as a result of development being disrupted, it becomes a lot harder to keep that 20+ mill a year pace. 

I mean a collection of older Mario games in HD is nice, but it doesn't replace a true blue AAA big holiday release like the Switch has gotten in Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros, and Pokemon the previous few years. 

If it is just an HD remaster then I agree.

But if Ninty ended up giving Mario 64 the OoT and MM mask treatment ala 3DS versions then it could be huge.

I'm sure they probably will spruce up 64's graphics a bit, giving the Mario model more polys and redoing some of the textures probably isn't that hard (though they should include the original Mario low-poly model as its kinda iconic). Or I guess they could just insert the higher poly Mario model from 3D World or Galaxy straight into the game. 

That's still a big drop down from the last three holiday seasons Nintendo had though, new 3D Mario in 2017, Pokemon Lets Go + Smash in 2018, Pokemon Shield + Sword in 2019. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Imagine if you told people back in early 2015 that Splatoon would go on to be a 10-million-plus selling franchise, back when a large percentage of folks thought it would be DOA due to Nintendo gamers allegedly not being interested in shooters or new IPs. How far we've come.

Splatoon was the perfect shooter game to come out from Nintendo. It's Cute, Colourful, and introduces new gameplay. And the fact they didn't milk the franchise and just supported the game with free updates. A lesson to be learned by Level 5. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

curl-6 said:
Imagine if you told people back in early 2015 that Splatoon would go on to be a 10-million-plus selling franchise, back when a large percentage of folks thought it would be DOA due to Nintendo gamers allegedly not being interested in shooters or new IPs. How far we've come.

Some of us knew that it was only a matter of time before Nintendo tried their hand at an online shooter and took back the first party crown from Master Chump.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Don't know if anyone already made this comparison, but I was curious about Wii software sales for last fiscal year. As usual, Mario Kart Wii remains impressive, having sold 120k still after all these years. What's also interesting however is that apparently Wii Sports is also still selling;

Net changes in shipment totals of Nintendo's first party Wii top 10;

1 Wii Sports +30k
2 Mario Kart Wii +120k
3 Wii Sports Resort +30k
4 New Super Mario Bros. Wii +40k
5 Wii Play +0
6 Wii Fit +0
7 Wii Fit Plus +0
8 Super Smash Bros. Brawl +20k
9 Super Mario Galaxy +10k
10 Wii Party +10k

Also checked DS, there no game has additional sales (while it does now say "as of 2020") compared to last year. Don't remember if that was also the case last year. For WiiU every game in the top 10 did +10k, except Super Mario 3D World and Mario Party 10, which both did +20k.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 10 May 2020

S.Peelman said:

Don't know if anyone already made this comparison, but I was curious about Wii software sales for last fiscal year. As usual, Mario Kart Wii remains impressive, having sold 120k still after all these years. What's also interesting however is that apparently Wii Sports is also still selling;

Net changes in shipment totals of Nintendo's first party Wii top 10;

1 Wii Sports +30k
2 Mario Kart Wii +120k
3 Wii Sports Resort +30k
4 New Super Mario Bros. Wii +40k
5 Wii Play +0
6 Wii Fit +0
7 Wii Fit Plus +0
8 Super Smash Bros. Brawl +20k
9 Super Mario Galaxy +10k
10 Wii Party +10k

Also checked DS, there no game has additional sales (while it does now say "as of 2020") compared to last year. Don't remember if that was also the case last year. For WiiU every game in the top 10 did +10k, except Super Mario 3D World and Mario Party 10, which both did +20k.

Hilarious, must be mostly Japan right where Wii Sports wasn't bundled? Several of my close friends still play there Wii, for one of them its his only console and he's playing NSMB. Since quarantine began he is thinking of getting a Switch.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Imagine if you told people back in early 2015 that Splatoon would go on to be a franchise where an individual entry can sell over 10 million, back when a large percentage of folks thought it would be DOA due to Nintendo gamers allegedly not being interested in shooters or new IPs. How far we've come.

Just for funsies: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/202606/can-splatoon-go-on-and-sell-3mil-lifetime-shippeddigital-update-242mil-ltd-80-there/1/

My only question is: Where is John Lucas?

He either can't handle the quick and massive comeback from Nintendo or he simply doesn't understand their business strategy with the Nintendo Switch. One of his mantra was always that Nintendo always thinks handhelds first, home consoles second. Well, it seems this time around hybrid (marketed as home console by Nintendo) comes first, handheld second (with the Switch Light).

In any case, I really do miss him - especially in those difficult times he would be a great and funny distraction!

curl-6 said:

Imagine if you told people back in early 2015 that Splatoon would go on to be a franchise where an individual entry can sell over 10 million, back when a large percentage of folks thought it would be DOA due to Nintendo gamers allegedly not being interested in shooters or new IPs. How far we've come.

I could of been the one to say that. Remember when I said it would sell 1mil WW in a month then also said 1mil in japan alone by years end

For those that say that 20mil doesn’t look possible because of not knowing of software releases from here on out....why?

Nintendo won’t release as many games and people think Mario game’s won’t do as much as system sellers and possibly a paper Mario isn’t big? That the evergreens will keep on pushing in Q1-Q2 with no problem and if Nintendo in its 4th holiday won’t set up some good holiday bundles deals (Q3).

Demand is still thru the roof, people especially in japan want ring fit which seems to be the biggest OG model system now.

I think people are understanding Q1 and Q2 potential. If those are great Q3 doesn’t need to be as high as last years. A 20mil is 1mil less than last FY.

Then if all that does happen imagine when things get better and have a great 2021 year with slot of software more than usual. (BotW2/Metroid Prime 3/ZELDA Remakes/Pokémon Gen 4 remakes (or something else)

I’ll break down numbers soon

2017-2019

Q1 - 1970k - 1880k - 2130k

Start off with Q1, Q1 is the Quarter everyone knows that NSW was sold out, especially in Japan. All previous quarters avg out to around 2mil. This quarter with the momentum of AC and with the pandemic going on and potentially April having record breaking sales (US). Whatever the ship will be sold this quarter. XCD releases but that will help a little but nonetheless hardware will be high

Prediction: 3.90mil (going by if they can ship it)

for the next prediction I won’t give a summary, but pls do criticize :P

Q2: 4.20mil

Q3: 9.50mil

Q4: 2.40mil

Last edited by tbone51 - on 10 May 2020