By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch now at half of PS4 lifetime sales

curl-6 said:

Switch will fall off a cliff in 2021, it's used all its big games already, nobody will want one once PS5 and Xbox Series X come out, once the PS3 gets a price cut and the fad of motion controls ends Wii will be dead by 2008, this whole Pokemon thing is just the latest craze and will disappear by 1998.

hahaha. That was good! Well done, I enjoyed this a lot

Around the Network

It will all just depend on Nintendo’s strategy going forward. If we’re not getting switch successor any sooner than holiday 2023 and they continue to support the system that long, then yes it will pass ps4. Otherwise, I’d say no.

Man imagine the sales if they’d been able to keep them in stock during this whole crisis.

No way Switch outsells PS4 lifetime, but it will come close. I don't at all understand why anyone is expecting Switch sales to fall off so quickly when there is no evidence pointing to that at all. This is Nintendo's only console on the market at the moment, they plan on supporting it for longer than their past consoles which means a successor in late 2023 at the EARLIEST. If it's getting full support unlike pretty much all of their home consoles since SNES throughout that whole period, which it will, sales will drop but not so much. It'll be above 70m by the end of 2020 already.

Switch is a success, the bigger concern for Nintendo now needs to be Switch 2, not arbitrary number totals. If they get to 110 or 120 million is not that important.

What's more important is that Nintendo has not really been able to follow up a hugely successful console without losing a noticeable amount of momentum the next time around.

NES to SNES went from 63 million down to 49 million and basically halved Nintendo's marketshare in North America and Europe to Sega and that began a consistent pattern of successive consoles selling even less from that point on (N64 then GameCube).

DS to 3DS was a disaster overall in that they lost half their sales, from 150 million down to 75 million or so.

Wii to Wii U was a complete bomb obviously.

The risk you take in leaving a product line to age too long on the market is the brand loses its excitement and luster and suddenly the market can turn on you quickly, waiting until 2024 would be a huge, huge mistake. If you had Sony like 3rd party support, that's one thing, but Nintendo doesn't have that, they have their core IP but they can't just re-use those over and over again expecting the same hardware bump.

Around the Network

*Just a gut feeling*

I think Switch will definitely put up a great fight, shrinking that gap and coming very close. I do however, expect PS4 to remain the best selling of the generation.
It is so good though to see Nintendo back after the last generation (even though I love my Wii U).

1doesnotsimply

Soundwave said:
Switch is a success, the bigger concern for Nintendo now needs to be Switch 2, not arbitrary number totals. If they get to 110 or 120 million is not that important.

What's more important is that Nintendo has not really been able to follow up a hugely successful console without losing a noticeable amount of momentum the next time around.

NES to SNES went from 63 million down to 49 million and basically halved Nintendo's marketshare in North America and Europe to Sega and that began a consistent pattern of successive consoles selling even less from that point on (N64 then GameCube).

DS to 3DS was a disaster overall in that they lost half their sales, from 150 million down to 75 million or so.

Wii to Wii U was a complete bomb obviously.

The risk you take in leaving a product line to age too long on the market is the brand loses its excitement and luster and suddenly the market can turn on you quickly, waiting until 2024 would be a huge, huge mistake. If you had Sony like 3rd party support, that's one thing, but Nintendo doesn't have that, they have their core IP but they can't just re-use those over and over again expecting the same hardware bump.

Your analysis is very conveniently ignoring a bunch of facts. First of all, the fact that you use the NES to SNES transition as an example shows how flawed your argument ist, as the SNES was a very successful product for its time. Nintendo lost market share to Sega, because Sega was incredibly strong during that generation and the market grew by leaps and bounds. The NES also had the advantage of a very long lifecycle (the Famicom released in 1983 Japan) so when it released in the west Nintendo could use its already big catalogue of games.

Also, what about the other consoles you conveniently ignore? What about the transition from GB to GBC? GBC to GBA? GBA to DS? You even called the 3DS, which sold over 75m units, a disaster to prove your point!

Also, there is no connection between a long lifecycle and bad sales, as you seem to imply. The Gameboy was on the market for almost a decade and its successors were highly successful. What about the PS2? What about the 3DS, which was released in 2011 and now its successor, the Switch, is Nintendo's biggest seller in a long time? You imply causality where there is none. 

Switch is Nintendo handheld it has no affect on core console sales. More importantly Ps5 is out this year but switch will keep selling

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
Switch is Nintendo handheld it has no affect on core console sales. More importantly Ps5 is out this year but switch will keep selling

Yea, a ps5@499 dollars 

Ps4 and ps4 prob will FINNALY get that pricecut after what 4 years?

Ps4's sales will be healthy enough. 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

People keep underestimating just how hard 100 million sales are, Switch will decline after this year and might just pass 100 million.