By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtuos says they're ready to bring cross-gen PS5/XSX games to Switch

kirby007 said:
quite frankly the DF video about DLSS in control, where a 1080p ingame matches native 4k, makes me think it is possible. the problem? both next gen consoles will be able to do the same thing

Could DLSS 2.0 be incorporated into the Switch though, or is it a method built into newer chips? Maybe something for Switch 2.

Remember though, the games they are talking about are cross-gen projects with PS4/Xbone.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
kirby007 said:
quite frankly the DF video about DLSS in control, where a 1080p ingame matches native 4k, makes me think it is possible. the problem? both next gen consoles will be able to do the same thing

Could DLSS 2.0 be incorporated into the Switch though, or is it a method built into newer chips? Maybe something for Switch 2.

Remember though, the games they are talking about are cross-gen projects with PS4/Xbone.

DLSS uses the Tensor Cores on Turing... Which the Switch's older Maxwell based GPU lacks. - You would need a Volta or newer GPU for that.

However... It can be incorporated on the Switch by making the Switch "Give up" some of it's "Gflops" so to speak, so yes it is possible, whether it's actually feasible is an entirely different matter.

The only real way for the Switch to receive some form of "image enhancement" would be an improved dock with a small upscaler built into it, which takes the video  signal sent over USB and performs some upscaling, sharpening and post-process edge-detect AA after the rendering has been done.

It will add to latency though.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 06 April 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

DLSS uses the Tensor Cores on Turing... Which the Switch's older Maxwell based GPU lacks. - You would need a Volta or newer GPU for that.

However... It can be incorporated on the Switch by making the Switch "Give up" some of it's "Gflops" so to speak, so yes it is possible, whether it's actually feasible is an entirely different matter.

The only real way for the Switch to receive some form of "image enhancement" would be an improved dock with a small upscaler built into it, which takes the video  signal sent over USB and performs some upscaling, sharpening and post-process edge-detect AA after the rendering has been done.

It will add to latency though.

Alrighty, thanks for the insight.

Releasing an upgraded dock that improves image quality while worsening latency really doesn't seem like a Nintendo thing to do, so maybe DLSS is something we can hope will be incorporated in Switch's successor.

At any rate, if the last generational shift is any indication, there will be plenty of major games still coming to PS4/Xbone in 2021 and 2022, and surely some of those will be viable for Switch conversion given we've already seen some fairly demanding titles like Witcher 3 make their way over.

People have stated ita for cross gen titles which I agree is an important distiction to make, but I have to ask what ps4 ports have their been? Witcher 3 and? Mk11, dragonquest 11/builders, hellblade, and doom I suppose. Not a big list. If u discount download required games I think its just the witcher and dquest. Not too optimistic of future ports but id be delighted to be wrong.

In future they can just stream games like they do in Japan for a couple games. That is one way Switch can get new games even though underpowered. Of course it would be only for people in countries with good internet and not care they don't own the game.

Around the Network

Its really about the computing power needed to run the games and not so much the graphics. Graphics can always be down-scaled, but the game itself needs to be able to run for the port to work. And its not exactly a secret that developers are not pushing computing power as much as they could. Ports will still be possible, and a lot more possible than people may think

JRPGfan said:

That sounds stupid to me.

Theres just no way a "consistant" experiance will be around on 3 consoles, if a game is made to push the hardware of the PS5+XSX.
Switch hardware is too weak to do that.

The only way that happends, is if you make a very non demanding game (2D scroller like indie game), something like that the Switch can play the same as the others. If you make a full blown 3D game, that pushes the new consoles..... you wont get a consistant experiance on the Switch.

If they can make a viable product, which we can assume they will, then it's not stupid at all.

You're talking like it's a comparison between the N64 and PS3. The Switch is clearly capable of producing far more demanding games than Indie 2D sidescrollers.

Games can always be scaled down, and the Switch is high enough on the bell curve that the experiences will be close enough to be consistent. The Witcher 3 already proved this. PS5 will be more powerful than PS4, but the Switch is powerful enough that just about every game on PS4 can be scaled down, and it will be only slightly less than that for PS5.

To explain the bell curve a little. The Switch version of Animal Crossing has significantly more detail than the 3DS version. The difference is that the majority of the art is seen by the average viewer at most times, while the Switch version a large amount of the details are generally unnoticed; the Switch version of Animal Crossing, despite being many times more advanced, could conceivably be ported to the Wii or the 3DS without losing much of the experience. The Witcher 3, again, was ported down to Switch and arguably lost none of the experience during almost all of the time playing. What is lost is something you only notice once in a while, or if examined with a microscope (something like Eurogamer does) and it is quite trivial in the end.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 07 April 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

All I have to say is good luck. Some demanding PS4 and Xbox One games have made it to Switch with massive compromises. Even at launch, the Xbox Series X and PS5 are leagues above the Switch's capability (to put it lightly). I know there will be a lot of games still on PS4 and Xbox One, but still. I don't see this hurting the Switch much. Almost all of its successful games are 1st-party titles and indies (or less demanding 3rd-party games).
By time this could really start to hurt Switch, I'm sure it will have a successor anyway that will at least have PS4-level specs.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Just have a different studio dedicated to stripped-down Switch versions from scratch. If they can make ports for the freakin Game Boy color ala Perfect Dark or mobile Skyrim, they can certainly port PS5/XSX software to Switch in some fashion. It might seem like extra effort to build an entirely separate skew from the ground up, but I'd wager many developers would find it worth the investment given the lower costs in resources and the rapidly-increasing consumer base on Switch that's going to be approaching 60 million.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

JRPGfan said:

That sounds stupid to me.

Theres just no way a "consistant" experiance will be around on 3 consoles, if a game is made to push the hardware of the PS5+XSX.
Switch hardware is too weak to do that.

The only way that happends, is if you make a very non demanding game (2D scroller like indie game), something like that the Switch can play the same as the others. If you make a full blown 3D game, that pushes the new consoles..... you wont get a consistant experiance on the Switch.

That won't happen for a while. For a couple of years the games will also be made with the current gen and older PCs in mind, safe for 1st party studio releases, whose games will not get ported anyway. By the time the devs will move on and leave the current gen behind, Switch will also be close to get it's successor released, and that whole game starts anew.

In fact, it's possible that the current gen won't get dropped until the Switch gets replaced. Just look how many games were made to run on both Wii and PS2 until the former got replaced.