By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtuos says they're ready to bring cross-gen PS5/XSX games to Switch

Take a look at this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuos

Around the Network

I admire Virtuos wanting to port next-gen games on Switch. Not sure if that will work out well, but who knows.
No one thought The Witcher 3 would come to Switch, and perform rather respectfully considering the differences in hardware performances. Or that games like Ori and the Blind Forest or Cuphead would come to Switch.
Or that DQ XI S would arguably be the better version of the original game despite the some notable differences in graphics and performance (which isn't a significant difference to make a purchasing choice) compared to the PS4 version.

I think developers understand, I hope, that there is something that consumers desire when it comes to the hybrid market. The flexibility of playing either on the go or at home is a game changer, especially for a $300 price point. Even Japan is showing in recent weeks that handheld experience alone is still a convenient option for that particular population, considering that Switch Lites are selling as well as they are in that region alongside Animal Crossing, even if they were more available in Japan than the OG Switch.

sethnintendo said:

In future they can just stream games like they do in Japan for a couple games. That is one way Switch can get new games even though underpowered. Of course it would be only for people in countries with good internet and not care they don't own the game.

Still better than nothing and sometimes the only viable option.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Take a look at this.

What specifically on that page are we supposed to be taking note of?

CarcharodonKraz said:
People have stated ita for cross gen titles which I agree is an important distiction to make, but I have to ask what ps4 ports have their been? Witcher 3 and? Mk11, dragonquest 11/builders, hellblade, and doom I suppose. Not a big list. If u discount download required games I think its just the witcher and dquest. Not too optimistic of future ports but id be delighted to be wrong.

Other ports from current gen include Wolfenstein II, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Outlast 1 & 2, Rocket League, Warframe, Alien Isolation, Starlink, Sonic Forces, Yooka Laylee, Spyro Reignited, Crash N.Sane Trilogy, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Overwatch, etc, plus upcoming ones like Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 April 2020

I mean, I can see this happening for the first year or two as most games by 3rd party devs will more than likely be cross-gen with last-gen consoles so it shouldn't be difficult to imagine this being the case (for a short time anyway)

Edit: plus the streaming option someone else mentioned as well. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Take a look at this.

CarcharodonKraz said:
People have stated ita for cross gen titles which I agree is an important distiction to make, but I have to ask what ps4 ports have their been? Witcher 3 and? Mk11, dragonquest 11/builders, hellblade, and doom I suppose. Not a big list. If u discount download required games I think its just the witcher and dquest. Not too optimistic of future ports but id be delighted to be wrong.

Other ports from current gen include Wolfenstein II, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Outlast 1 & 2, Rocket League, Warframe, Alien Isolation, Starlink, Sonic Forces, Yooka Laylee, Spyro Reignited, Crash N.Sane Trilogy, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Overwatch, etc, plus upcoming ones like Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds.

Wolfenstein 2s a good shout.  Overwatch too. The rest I avoided because they were either on ps3 as well, or incosequential low budget affairs.  If games like batman arkham knight, shadow of war, as creed 6, watch dogs 2, mad max, dark souls 3, etc... wouldve dropped id be much more optomistic. Seems like rt now the switch is the place to go to play 10do exclusives and older gen games on the go. And if u r wanting just a handheld, thats awesome, but i dont feel thats how the system was marketed and not what I was looking for when I bought it. Thanks for the comment though. OH! Just remembered s row 4 just had a solid launch so maybe thq nordic will keep showin the switch love and port biomutant & dsiders3 after all.

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:

Wolfenstein 2s a good shout.  Overwatch too. The rest I avoided because they were either on ps3 as well, or incosequential low budget affairs.  If games like batman arkham knight, shadow of war, as creed 6, watch dogs 2, mad max, dark souls 3, etc... wouldve dropped id be much more optomistic. Seems like rt now the switch is the place to go to play 10do exclusives and older gen games on the go. And if u r wanting just a handheld, thats awesome, but i dont feel thats how the system was marketed and not what I was looking for when I bought it. Thanks for the comment though. OH! Just remembered s row 4 just had a solid launch so maybe thq nordic will keep showin the switch love and port biomutant & dsiders3 after all.

Well, of the games I listed only Alien Isolation has a PS3 version and to be frank it's really quite poor on last gen so i wouldn't recommend playing it there.

Trust me, I too don't like that so much of Switch's library is recycled old rope from last gen, but to be fair it does have a fair few current gen conversions by now, they're just not all AAA blockbusters. I'm still really glad though that I get the chance to play games like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, Hellblade, Witcher 3, and soon Outer Worlds and Doom Eternal.

I'm sure it won't stop there either and there will be more modern ports we don't know about yet.

curl-6 said:

Well, of the games I listed only Alien Isolation has a PS3 version and to be frank it's really quite poor on last gen so i wouldn't recommend playing it there.

Trust me, I too don't like that so much of Switch's library is recycled old rope from last gen, but to be fair it does have a fair few current gen conversions by now, they're just not all AAA blockbusters. I'm still really glad though that I get the chance to play games like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, Hellblade, Witcher 3, and soon Outer Worlds and Doom Eternal.

I'm sure it won't stop there either and there will be more modern ports we don't know about yet.

Thats my bad. I thought starlink and sonic forces were multiplat too. As for indies, u can play those on a drastically cheaper computer. I buy consoles for AAA titles. Dont get me wrong, definitely credit to the devs that have ported titles like the ones I mentioned, but criticism where its due as well to the plethora of games missing. Again im just attempting to explain my where im coming from with my pecimism tho.

On a slightly related note its even worse for me as I dont buy digital AAA games. So wfstein, doom and mk11 I ended up passing on or playing elsewhere. And yeah its def a "1st world problem" but I yearn for a console that provides me 2 AAA single player games a year. And I dont mean just any 2, I mean having enough available so that there are 2 that I wanna play. While also having the 4-5 10do xclusives that I wanna play. No more owning multiple consoles... Oh well. Life goes on right? :)

Last edited by CarcharodonKraz - on 09 April 2020

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:

Thats my bad. I thought starlink and sonic forces were multiplat too. As for indies, u can play those on a drastically cheaper computer. I buy consoles for AAA titles. Dont get me wrong, definitely credit to the devs that have ported titles like the ones I mentioned, but criticism where its due as well to the plethora of games missing. Again im just attempting to explain my where im coming from with my pecimism tho.

On a slightly related note its even worse for me as I dont buy digital AAA games. So wfstein, doom and mk11 I ended up passing on or playing elsewhere. And yeah its def a "1st world problem" but I yearn for a console that provides me 2 AAA single player games a year. And I dont mean just any 2, I mean having enough available so that there are 2 that I wanna play. While also having the 4-5 10do xclusives that I wanna play. No more owning multiple consoles... Oh well. Life goes on right? :)

Fair enough. I generally prefer major/AA/AAA games over low budget indies too. Still, stuff like Starlink, Warframe and Outlast 2 aren't exactly low budget and have decent production values even if they're also not quite AAA.

The good news is that third party support for Switch seems to be increasing; in 2019 it got more current gen multiplats than in 2017 or 2018, and this year we already know of two big ones, with there likely being more as yet unannounced as we're still only a quarter of the way into the year.