By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtuos says they're ready to bring cross-gen PS5/XSX games to Switch

There are very few games that truly honestly and truly cannot be ported to Switch. It's really just a matter of if developers perceive that there's a market for it.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

That sounds stupid to me.

Theres just no way a "consistant" experiance will be around on 3 consoles, if a game is made to push the hardware of the PS5+XSX.
Switch hardware is too weak to do that.

The only way that happends, is if you make a very non demanding game (2D scroller like indie game), something like that the Switch can play the same as the others. If you make a full blown 3D game, that pushes the new consoles..... you wont get a consistant experiance on the Switch.

The Switch's GPU hardware feature set is aligned to the 8th gen consoles.

The early Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 titles will likely re-use the current 8th gen technology, but bolt-on the new effects like Ray Tracing... It should in theory be a simple case of disabling those effects and then doing your regular downgrading/optimizations for the Switch.

It's when we are entrenched in the next console cycle where features like Ray Tracing is baked into the game engines that I see porting becoming an issue as the Switch doesn't have a modern-enough hardware feature set.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JRPGfan said:

Theres just no way a "consistant" experiance will be around on 3 consoles, if a game is made to push the hardware of the PS5+XSX.

The only way that happends, is if you make a very non demanding game (2D scroller like indie game), something like that the Switch can play the same as the others. If you make a full blown 3D game, that pushes the new consoles..... you wont get a consistant experiance on the Switch.

Over the next few years, few games will be made that really push PS5+XSX hardware. Crossgen support is going to be common for at least the next few years, outside of first party Sony games. Few publishers will be eager to abandon a PS4/Switch/Xbox One base with more than 200 million users.

And so long as crossgen games are the norm, Switch ports of many of these games, including demanding 3D ones like Doom, Witcher 3 and Outer Worlds, won’t be out of the question.

JWeinCom said:
There are very few games that truly honestly and truly cannot be ported to Switch. It's really just a matter of if developers perceive that there's a market for it.

I think it's safe to say at this point there is a market for current gen ports to Switch. If there wasn't, they would've long since stopped, yet here we are in Switch's fourth year with Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds coming up.

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

I think it's safe to say at this point there is a market for current gen ports to Switch. If there wasn't, they would've long since stopped, yet here we are in Switch's fourth year with Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds coming up.

I meant more in regards to specific titles and developers.  There's a lot of games that could be ported, but aren't, for instance Call of Duty/Madden but the developers don't see the market, and or have a grudge against Nintendo.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

I meant more in regards to specific titles and developers.  There's a lot of games that could be ported, but aren't, for instance Call of Duty/Madden but the developers don't see the market, and or have a grudge against Nintendo.

Yeah that's true unfortunately.

Still, with the Switch's userbase likely to be at or around 70 million and growing by the end of this year, and companies like Virtuos willing to take cross-gen projects, it looks like modern ports to Switch aren't likely to stop when PS5/XSX arrive.

I wonder if nintendo can make a new dock that works like an N64 expandion pack, somehow add in a other gpu or something to give OG Switch a boost its gonna desperately need soon.

Otter said:
JRPGfan said:

It doesn't make sense to assume that many games will take advantage of PS5/XSX out the gate.

Just as always, if porting a title will prove troublesome we probably won't see it but there will be plenty of games where it will be applicable. Not just 2D games, but also 3D games. Not every game is about huge scale, massively detailed textures, massive poly counts etc

Porting is one thing, but designing games with a strategy behind it so it'll allow a "consistency of experience" across platforms, is pretty terrible. Lets just pray to the gaming gods that this isn't a long term strategy and that more 3rd party studios won't follow with similar strategies. The problem is that the next gen consoles will likely launch in a wasted economy, so it does make sense that studios aren't expecting the next gen consoles to sell like hot cakes.

Nogamez said:
I wonder if nintendo can make a new dock that works like an N64 expandion pack, somehow add in a other gpu or something to give OG Switch a boost its gonna desperately need soon.

Nope. The bandwidth on the USB-C port isn't sufficient. The Switch Lite is also part of the Switch family... And that console cannot be docked, so that might make things troublesome for millions of users.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

quite frankly the DF video about DLSS in control, where a 1080p ingame matches native 4k, makes me think it is possible. the problem? both next gen consoles will be able to do the same thing

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.