By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtuos says they're ready to bring cross-gen PS5/XSX games to Switch

The studio behind the Switch ports of Starlink, Dark Souls Remastered, and The Outer Worlds says they'll continue to bring new games to Switch as we move into the new console generation.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/358587-virtuous-says-they-re-ready-to-bring-ps5-xsx-games-to-switch

“We believe that 2020 will be the year of game-centric development, where players will expect as standard a consistency of experience with their favorite games. With the launch of the new Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 this year, developers need to strategize and plan for the game experience to be consistent across all platforms. At Virtuos we are charged up and full of talent that is ready to help bring these new games to the Nintendo Switch.”

Around the Network

That sounds stupid to me.

Theres just no way a "consistant" experiance will be around on 3 consoles, if a game is made to push the hardware of the PS5+XSX.
Switch hardware is too weak to do that.

The only way that happends, is if you make a very non demanding game (2D scroller like indie game), something like that the Switch can play the same as the others. If you make a full blown 3D game, that pushes the new consoles..... you wont get a consistant experiance on the Switch.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 April 2020

JRPGfan said:

Theres just no way a "consistant" experiance will be around on 3 consoles, if a game is made to push the hardware of the PS5+XSX.

The only way that happends, is if you make a very non demanding game (2D scroller like indie game), something like that the Switch can play the same as the others. If you make a full blown 3D game, that pushes the new consoles..... you wont get a consistant experiance on the Switch.

It doesn't make sense to assume that many games will take advantage of PS5/XSX out the gate.

Just as always, if porting a title will prove troublesome we probably won't see it but there will be plenty of games where it will be applicable. Not just 2D games, but also 3D games. Not every game is about huge scale, massively detailed textures, massive poly counts etc

JRPGfan said:

Well then just buy them on the PS5 or Series X. Im sure people who only own a Switch would rather have a watered down experience of a game than no game at all.

pocket versions? Yeah, it can be done. But the difference will be huge.

Around the Network

Brilliant! Hopefully Nintendo is lending a hand by lining up a Switch Pro for 2021.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

With Microsoft promising crossgen support for the next 1-2 years and given that in the last generational transition we still got cross-gen games as late as 2015, it looks like Switch could potentially still be getting multiplatform games up to 2022.

By the time PS4/Xbone support is completely cut, it'll be just about time for Switch 2 anyway.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 April 2020

Good to hear they'll try, but I want to see examples first. The Switch already struggles with PS4 ports, imagine the tech wizardry needed to port from PS5...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Two points to make, it is crossgen titles so nothing that isn't already releasing on Switch, second this is just on studio so don't expect that many games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Darwinianevolution said:
Good to hear they'll try, but I want to see examples first. The Switch already struggles with PS4 ports, imagine the tech wizardry needed to port from PS5...

Cross gen PS5/XSX games will have to run on PS4 and Xbox One, just like how games like COD Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, Battlefield 4/Hardline, and Wolfenstein the New Order ran on PS3/360. They'll simply take the PS4/Xbone version and scale it down, much like has already been done with the like of Witcher 3, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II/Youngblood, Hellblade, Mortal Kombat 11, etc.

Last time we saw a period of 2 years in which PS3/360 still got major cross gen titles.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 April 2020