By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II and Marvel's Iron Man VR delayed until further notice

They might as well pull a Zelda BOTW scenario where they release it on PS4 and PS5 on the same day

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Otter said:

Stock limitations reducing number of physical copies they can ship? Not shipping in all regions?

Whether it release now or in September it is going to sell huge amounts, but for sure it would be even more lucrative during the PS5 launch.

Of course it will be a massive hit no matter when it releases, but if stock is the problem, then FF7R and other big games should consider delaying their releases as well. Also digital purchases must be at an all time high right now.

FFVII is coming out in just over a week, it was gold and probably being printed before corona locked down most of europe and the USA. I think FFVII is the last big game to not be majorly effected (and its still been effected). Some developers will happily rely on digital, but I think sony just decided it'd be better to wait for the PS4's magnum opus to have a traditional launch. The situation could be what tip them into making it a cross gen PS5 launch title

Seece said:
Otter said:

Stock limitations reducing number of physical copies they can ship? Not shipping in all regions?

Whether it release now or in September it is going to sell huge amounts, but for sure it would be even more lucrative during the PS5 launch.

I'm not aware of the fall/holiday titles for PS4/PS5. But maybe those games having to have stopped development means they've been delayed into 2021, and TLOU2 is now the big fall/holiday title?

Good point! Although I doubt they would have stopped, they would be working remotely but that is not going to be as productive and so some launch titles may miss their target. So far the only 1st party title rumoured is Ratchet. 

Otter said:
KLXVER said:

Of course it will be a massive hit no matter when it releases, but if stock is the problem, then FF7R and other big games should consider delaying their releases as well. Also digital purchases must be at an all time high right now.

FFVII is coming out in just over a week, it was gold and probably being printed before corona locked down most of europe and the USA. I think FFVII is the last big game to not be majorly effected (and its still been effected). Some developers will happily rely on digital, but I think sony just decided it'd be better to wait for the PS4's magnum opus to have a traditional launch. The situation could be what tip them into making it a cross gen PS5 launch title

Fair enough. 

Dang. That stinks. :(

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Hiku said:

Sounds understandable. Hopefully they tone down on the crunch during this time as well.

Well that's what makes it weird, the game is finished

The game, which had been previously scheduled for May 29, is nearly done and ready to go, a Naughty Dog developer told Kotaku this afternoon. This was a decision made by Sony for logistical and economic reasons.

This was due to logistics reason, as in the post from Sony, not development reason. The game is finished according to Naughty Dog - they are just bug-fixing. But logistics refers to the unknown aspect of making the physical copies and, more importantly in this case I am thinking, the shipping aspect.

We just saw this play out with FF7R. Square-Enix warned they can't control the shipping of the title. Usually when a large-scale game ships, it goes to the warehouses at UPS/FedEx/whatever shipping company is in that country, with an embargo date of "do not deliver until such-and-such time." This takes up valuable warehouse space during those weeks until the retail date arrives.

Since we are in a pandemic, almost all shipping companies are (rightly) prioritizing keeping their warehouses efficient so they can get in needed medical supplies and household items and ship them out as fast as they can. They don't care about keeping thousands of copies of a game until a certain date, or may not get them in right away at all if it means space lost to more important things. That is why FF7R is already released in Australia (shipping companies didn't want to keep the stock in their warehouses) and might not ship on time in other countries (most likely a lot of Europe, especially Spain and Italy).

It was too late for FF7R I am sure since generally you start mass-producing a game 4-5 weeks ahead of time. But we all know Naughty Dog, and i know they wouldn't want an entire country getting the game two weeks early - or not getting it on time at all. They want everyone to experience their new story at the same time.

What a bummer.

Understandable though.

Not that there aren't worse things going on. My family has two who lost their jobs due to the flu hit on the economy. I bet many others here are facing similar issues. We should just skip to 2021.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

First tragedy of April

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

trunkswd said:
At this rate Last of Us Part 2 will be a cross gen release on PS4 and PS5.

I was thinking the same thing. But perhaps that would be a brilliant move. Look at what happened with Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - it got delayed enough that it became a cross-gen release on Wii U/Switch. And in the process, instantly made the Switch a massive success - and still continues to post big sales numbers to this day. Imagine TLoU 2 coming out as a PS4 game and launch-date PS5 title at the same time!

I think the game will be made playable on PS5 at launch so they don't compete, assuming the PS5 will still be launching this year. There will be a big drought coming in Spring/summer.