By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

JWeinCom said:

Donald Trump and Melania Trump Have Tested Positive For Covid-19

Donald Trump announced via Twitter that he has tested positive for Coronavirus.

I'll take some time to collect my thoughts, but obviously this race has completely changed.

I'm sure there are going to be strong opinions on both sides. I've already brought up in the mod chat the possibility of setting requirements for how we can discuss this. For now, I will say that to be on the safe side, you should avoid taking joy in a person contracting a life threatening disease or wishing for death of another individual. That is NOT the official stance of the moderation team, but you surely won't get in trouble following that advice. 

RESPONSE ATTEMPT ONE: Try drinking bleach, Mr. President. I hear it cures the virus!

RESPONSE ATTEMPT TWO: "It is what it is."

RESPONSE ATTEMPT THREE: Goddamn it, now the worst president of my lifetime will be defeated for sure, what a tragedy, *weeps bitterly*!

...nope, I don't think this expectation is going to work for me! I simply cannot respond to this development with the "appropriate" sorrow. Seriously, think for two fucking seconds about how many people have died because this man deliberately downplayed this very disease and tell me with a straight face that he doesn't deserve this exact fate. Tell me that you personally feel sorry for him with a straight face. You can't do it, can you? Then why do you insist I must?

Think about all the children in detention camps in the desert right now apart from their parents and tell me you feel sorry for him. Recall that this same man has sent in the army to occupy not foreign countries but American cities just this last summer and tell me you don't feel qualitatively safer right now. Think about all the Kurdish people who lost their lives defeating ISIS for us so this man could then turn around and sell out their survivors to the dictator of Turkey and tell me this man deserves pity and not unqualified scorn? Think about all the very real trauma he has visited upon so many of us (me included) just by being president and manifestly incapable of doing the job. Think about all the women he's proud to have sexually abused in his life. Recall for one second how he couldn't even wait for the late Supreme Court justice to be buried before leaping on her grave for personal political gain and benefit. How many lives does a person have to take, how soulless and dangerous to everyone around him, nay to the entire planet's survival, does a man have to prove himself to be before one is allowed to be truthful about not sympathizing with him? If you were President Trump's best friend and you were to die today, do you really think he'd give a shit? No, you died, you're a worthless loser to him! Recall what you saw on that debate stage recently and tell me there's a soul in there somewhere that you can see.

I hope he dies! And if you're honest with yourself, you'd not likely shed a tear either. If you have half a conscience you wouldn't anyway. This man's legacy is lighter than a feather and we both know it! To that end, I say without reservation that this is the happiest day I've had in like a decade! It's sad and pathetic that it has to be because the President of the United States has contracted a life-threatening illness, but sad or not, it's the truth. When I heard he'd contracted covid-19, I quadruple checked the sources just to make sure this wasn't made up because I thought it was too good to be true. After confirming, my spirit lifted to the heavens! I laughed and cheered at my computer screen, then got up and jumped around the room squealing with joy. I rejoiced so much that there were actually tears streaming down my face from sheer happiness! And no, I don't give a rat's ass what any of you think about that, I really and truly don't.

Bottom line: considering all of the above, considering all the very real trauma I've endured over these many years now because of this man that is now finally, finally relieved, can you not just let me have this moment? Can you not just let me be a lowlife for one day and celebrate the alleviation of my own suffering? Does he matter more to you than me? If so, then forget about me and think about my dad. This man actually made fun of our troops for serving their country! My dad served this country and he wasn't a loser! If my mental health doesn't matter to you, if none of the aforementioned things matter to you, then at least let me be honest about my feelings for my dad's sake! Don't ask me to be more than human about this!

Last edited by Jaicee - on 02 October 2020

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Machiavellian said:

That move will not work.  What I mean is that Trump isn't trying to convince his base or even get more votes from White Supremacy groups and so forth because he already have them.  The President is looking to get the votes of the undecided and people who are neither Dem or GOP.  In order to get them trying to play games with the media only benefits the media because not being able to answer that question in a concise way still makes him look bad.  Those games are stupid now and using the same stragety as he did in 2016 will cost him the election.  Neither candidate is trying to sway or should be doing anything to play to their base, they are not going anywhere.  They both want those undecided voters and Trump use of words on this issue came across as bad.  No body cares what you said in the past, they only care what you say now, when asked on national TV.  All news outlets are going with that story and only conservative media isn't but he already have those people and the polls have him far behind.  Really it was a very easy question for him to answer without worrying about any blowback.  Trump could have called all those groups the devil and they would not change their vote because they are never going to vote for Biden anyway.  He lost his chance on that point and he will be constantly hammered for it as well he should.

Unless those undecided aren't paying attention at all, in which case they may get a bad taste for Trump, they'll see it's something the media has brought up again though he's already clarified it. If you're someone who thinks the candidates need to constantly be asked the same thing over and over, then your just asking for poor results. The more questions you don't repeat when properly answered, the more questions you can get out, which is much more useful if you actually care about what the candidates are planning. If all you want are gotcha moments, then sure, ask, rinse, and repeat.

The way the question was asked was like how it was spun last time when he properly explained it. Anyone who takes any time at all will see it legitimately fits Trumps fake news narrative, and I'd bet Trumps people assume if you're not someone who's willing to be open and do a little research, you're the kind of person who will likely side with Biden anyway. People don't only care about what was said on national TV as you point out, that most of the media is running the supremacy story? Why? To further explain why it's a bad thing to those undecided voters. If those undecided voters only pay attention to that anyway, they were going to get spin from the media afterwards regardless. If they're not locked into the msm bubble, they'll see Trumps already gone against this and that the media is just after him for it again for no legitimate reason.

Trump has 3 debates, and he knows he doesn't need to cater to the undecided the entire time. He got away with the same thing with Hillary, though I do think he needs to perform better this time overall. It was also seen as though Hillary stomped Trump in the first debate, but by the last debate he clearly had made up for it. If he's doing what he did last time like I think he might, the next debate will be catered more to the undecided, and the final will be catered majority to the undecided. Trumps doing the checkbox thing and he got at least some of what he wanted in the first debate. He'll move on to the rest of the checklist for the rest of the debates unless he's not strategizing at all, which is quite unlikely. He's partially winging it as Trump does, which explains some of his poorer responses, but there looks to be an underlying strategy here. Whether there truly is or isn't, and whether it works or not by the end, we'll see.

The thing is Trump has many different answers to this question that can be played multiple times. Since he never stick to one concise statement it will just show him trying to play the middle.  The thing is when giving the opportunity he not only did not condemn them but he also have that statement "Standby".  That will be the slogan used countless times especially since he has told him followers to go to polls looking for suspicious people and other nonsense.  As political strategy goes, he doesn't have to convince his base, playing to just his base does not get him reelected.  We can argue this point but lets see how things shake out in the next few weeks.  After the debate no polls changed so that was a wash but for Biden any wash is great.  Now that Trump has CORVID, there will be no 3 debates so that was fortunate for the President in my opinion.

Jaicee said:
JWeinCom said:

I'll take some time to collect my thoughts, but obviously this race has completely changed.

I'm sure there are going to be strong opinions on both sides. I've already brought up in the mod chat the possibility of setting requirements for how we can discuss this. For now, I will say that to be on the safe side, you should avoid taking joy in a person contracting a life threatening disease or wishing for death of another individual. That is NOT the official stance of the moderation team, but you surely won't get in trouble following that advice. 

RESPONSE ATTEMPT ONE: Try drinking bleach, Mr. President. I hear it cures the virus!

RESPONSE ATTEMPT THREE: Goddamn it, now the worst president of my lifetime will be defeated for sure, what a tragedy, *cries*!

...nope, I don't think this expectation is going to work for me! I simply cannot respond to this development with the "appropriate" sorrow. Seriously, think for two fucking seconds about how many people have died because this man deliberately downplayed this very disease and tell me with a straight face that he doesn't deserve this exact fate. Tell me that you personally feel sorry for him with a straight face. You can't do it, can you? Then why do you insist I must?

Think about all the children in detention camps in the desert right now apart from their parents and tell me you feel sorry for him. Recall that this same man has sent in the army to occupy not foreign countries but American cities just this last summer and tell me you don't feel qualitatively safer right now. Think about all the Kurdish people who lost their lives defeating ISIS for us so this man could then turn around and sell out their survivors to the dictator of Turkey and tell me this man deserves pity and not unqualified scorn? Think about all the very real trauma he has visited upon so many of us (me included) just by being president and manifestly incapable of doing the job. Think about all the women he's proud to have sexually abused in his life. Recall for one second how he couldn't even wait for the late Supreme Court justice to be buried before leaping on her grave for personal political gain and benefit. How many lives does a person have to take, how soulless and dangerous to everyone around him, nay to the entire planet's survival, does a man have to prove himself to be before one is allowed to be truthful about not sympathizing with him? If you were President Trump's best friend and you were to die today, do you really think he'd give a shit? No, you died, you're a worthless loser to him! Recall what you saw on that debate stage recently and tell me there's a soul in there somewhere that you can see.

I hope he dies! And if you're honest with yourself, you'd not likely shed a tear either. If you have half a conscience you wouldn't anyway. This man's legacy is lighter than a feather and we both know it! To that end, I say without reservation that this is the happiest day I've had in like a decade! It's sad and pathetic that it has to be because the President of the United States has contracted a life-threatening illness, but sad or not, it's the truth. When I heard he'd contracted covid-19, I quadruple checked the sources just to make sure this wasn't made up because I thought it was too good to be true. After confirming, my spirit lifted to the heavens! I laughed and cheered at my computer screen, then got up and jumped around the room squealing with joy. I rejoiced so much that there were actually tears streaming down my face from sheer happiness! And no, I don't give a rat's ass what any of you think about that, I really and truly don't.

Bottom line: considering all of the above, considering all the very real trauma I've endured over these many years now because of this man that is now finally, finally relieved, can you not just let me have this moment? Can you not just let me be a lowlife for one day and celebrate the alleviation of my own suffering? Does he matter more to you than me? If so, then forget about me and think about my dad. This man actually made fun of our troops for serving their country! My dad served this country and he wasn't a loser! If my mental health doesn't matter to you, if none of the aforementioned things matter to you, then at least let me be honest about my feelings for my dad's sake! Don't ask me to be more than human about this!

Well said. Fuck him, I hope he dies. He deserves it after all the terrible things he's said and done. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Trump testing positive for Covid is a bad situation.

I may despise him as a person and a politician but I would never wish illness or death on anyone.

Trump is in a high risk category for Covid complications. This happening at any time is not good but it happening so close to the election is horrible. Trump must be defeated definitively at the ballot box this election. American voters need a chance to redeem themselves by voting him out of office. Trump has to witness his defeat for himself. The Republican party needs to be repudiated for their horrible politics and poor management of the country the past few years they have been in power.

Trump must stay healthy and see Biden potentially inaugurated. The day after Trump leaves office I expect him to be indicted in NY for his campaign finance violations that Cohen was sent to jail for. He must be held accountable for his crimes and bad behavior.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that when Trumpism is ashes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Jaicee said:
JWeinCom said:

RESPONSE ATTEMPT THREE: Goddamn it, now the worst president of my lifetime will be defeated for sure, what a tragedy, *cries*!

That was just my friendly advice for those wishing to play it safe, not an official statement of the mod team. I don't think I the wording "you should..." was the best choice. I was not setting any official expectations. If we are insisting on any particular rules, we'll let people know with a more formal statement.

As for my personal opinions, I'm still deciding if it is appropriate to share those in this scenario, or how to go about doing so. But, if anyone wants to message me privately, I'll be happy to share them. That being said, my personal opinion does not always match my opinion as a moderator.

Around the Network

Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and Mike Pence have tested negative.

RolStoppable said:
Runa216 said:

Well said. Fuck him, I hope he dies. He deserves it after all the terrible things he's said and done. 

You hate him, but you want him to get the easy way out. You wish for a setup that invites a longstanding Trump cult to be established.

You are your own worst enemy.

I don't care if he's in pain or not, I just don't want him making decisions for the country any more or representing the American people. He's doing bad, he needs to go away one way or another. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

RolStoppable said:
Runa216 said:

You hate him, but you want him to get the easy way out. You wish for a setup that invites a longstanding Trump cult to be established.

Pretty much, Trump succumbing to the virus will just give people motivation to immortalize him and turn him into a martyr for the causes they already associate him with. Even if there's undeniable evidence that comes out afterwards that he was a crook and a cheat, his status will have been solidified. 

Normally, I don’t wish illness, sickness, or anything like that upon other people... But karma’s a bitch and so is that flaming hot cheetoh wig wearing bastard.

RolStoppable said:
Runa216 said:

Nah. It's a cult of personality. The people that worship him have been harboring the same ideas for quite some time. But, there was just no high up figure that would reinforce them. When McCain was confronted with conspiracy theories and racist vitriol he denied them with class and pivoted back to the issues.

It takes a special combination of ego, shamelessness, stupidity, sociopathy, and gullibility to make Donald Trump. It takes someone who will endorse and encourage literally anything that feeds their ego, and someone with the built in platform he had. The ideas will persist, as they always have, but they'll be pushed back into the margins.