By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Someone has a plan how to fight Coronavirus, but it is not the man in the White House

Mnementh said:

China has 80K confirmed cases and correct, they contained the epidemic. But they did it with early and decisive measures. Measures which I fail to see in the western world (europe and USA).

Excuse me but...what?

USA I can understand, but as an italian I can't let it slide. We have police officers on the streets asking you why you're not at home here, you know? Many other european countries are following suit. Shops are closed with the only exceptions of food stores and pharmacies. We're basically in a state of war here, it's unreal.

Oh and btw, if you really think China only had 80k cases you're deluding yourself.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes I know we just entered the crescent phase of the disease in Brazil. Still the hysteria is massive and excessive

Just look at china over 1B patients, and the epidemic is already on the dropping phase while having 4k deaths.

All deaths are bad, but most countries have higher cause of deaths that are preventable yet people don't give a care but with Covid-19 they are fretting.

China has 80K confirmed cases and correct, they contained the epidemic. But they did it with early and decisive measures. Measures which I fail to see in the western world (europe and USA).

China isn't alone with good reactions to the virus, most east asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapur, South Korea and Japan reacted early and decisive. The first three have barely any cases. South Korea had a super spreader, patient #31 came in contact with thousands of people and is responsible for the biggest infection cluster. But since then South Korea reduced the number of new infections again. Japan has somewhat success, they didn't really stop the virus, but they avoided so far exponential growth.

But western states seem to fear effects on their economy, if they shut down public life too much. So I see easily the US, France, Spain and Germany all hit > 10K infections soon, Italy already is there and is in a situation in which doctors have to decide who gets a breathing machine and therefore survives. This is not a situation we should ever put doctors into.

So yes, this is bad. It is not hysteria to point out the situation is bad, and it is not hysteria to point out politicians could do more.

Considering regular flu have: While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Seems like 10k infections or 1k deaths from Corona is quite minor.

Sure measures need to be taken and all, but hysteria only make things worse and is crashing the market for really no good reason.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

John2290 said:
Mnementh said:

This is lunatic. Bernie doesn't lay out a plan to invade the White House, he lays out a plan to save the lifes of citizens from an pandemic. Listen to this and tell me it doesn't make sense to contain the spread of the virus.

This isn't a plan, it's a warning and yes I agree Trump should be the one giving this speech depending on his plan (If it aligns with mitigation at least) and any any rate Bernie has no power to implement a plan, should he have one. Call your local official, tell them your concerns and ask what action is being taken and stay behind Trump regardless of wheter you like the guy or not, hope he handles it well and don't fall for infighting or the the fire of it with this shit, you're only hurting yourself along with everyone else. Forget about the election in November for the time being at the very least until this current predicament is in the rear view. 

Trump gave a speech and it was a shit show and that was without the scenes that should't have aired if you include those it was a nuclear disaster.

Radek said:

Another thread name calling Trump... whatever he does is wrong in liberals eyes.

He could literally cure cancer and he still would be called a bigot misogynist racist transphobic orange clown by Twitter checkmarks.

Anyone with a function brain should realize that Trump is a giant fraud the guy has been a silver spooned fraud his entire life.

last92 said:
Mnementh said:

Excuse me but...what?

USA I can understand, but as an italian I can't let it slide. We have police officers on the streets asking you why you're not at home here, you know? Many other european countries are following suit. Shops are closed with the only exceptions of food stores and pharmacies. We're basically in a state of war here, it's unreal.

Oh and btw, if you really think China only had 80k cases you're deluding yourself.

OK, I give you that. Italy acted late as the crisis was undeniable, but they acted decisive and I think Italy might be able to contain the virus over the next two weeks. Also I applaud Poland. But I am worried about Spain, Germany and France.

And with 80K cases I talk about the officially recognized cases (WHO). Death rate and other indicators show, China has detected cases at a similr rate as most other countries. The USA has obviously detected way fewer cases, death rate indicates they have a much higher number of infected. That might be true for other countries. So maybe China has 160K infected with a 50% detection rate, something similar will be the case with many other countries. But in any case, as they have 20 new cases (which are confirmed) yesterday I think it is still save to say they have the spread contained for now. If it is at 80K or 160K (and in the latter case we have to expect Italy has in reality now 30K infected).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Radek said:

Another thread name calling Trump... whatever he does is wrong in liberals eyes.

He could literally cure cancer and he still would be called a bigot misogynist racist transphobic orange clown by Twitter checkmarks.

I'm not talking about other stuff here, but his measures against COVID-19 so far are insufficient. And even worse is Mike Pence, who prefers religion over science.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

China isn't alone with good reactions to the virus, most east asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapur, South Korea and Japan reacted early and decisive. The first three have barely any cases. South Korea had a super spreader, patient #31 came in contact with thousands of people and is responsible for the biggest infection cluster. But since then South Korea reduced the number of new infections again. Japan has somewhat success, they didn't really stop the virus, but they avoided so far exponential growth.

But western states seem to fear effects on their economy, if they shut down public life too much. So I see easily the US, France, Spain and Germany all hit > 10K infections soon, Italy already is there and is in a situation in which doctors have to decide who gets a breathing machine and therefore survives. This is not a situation we should ever put doctors into.

So yes, this is bad. It is not hysteria to point out the situation is bad, and it is not hysteria to point out politicians could do more.

Considering regular flu have: While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Sure measures need to be taken and all, but hysteria only make things worse and is crashing the market for really no good reason.

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. COVID-19 has so far shown mortality rates between 0.5% and 4%. Also COVID-19 is far more infectious. So yes, if we contain the virus at less than 1 million infected worldwide, it will have lesser victims. But it has the potential to get much worse than the flu if not contained. And we must contain it now, but each day passing makes containment ever more difficult.

There is also the risk that COVID-19 can become endemic like the flu, which means it comes back each year. This would be pretty bad, because of the higher mortality rate.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. COVID-19 has so far shown mortality rates between 0.5% and 4%. Also COVID-19 is far more infectious. So yes, if we contain the virus at less than 1 million infected worldwide, it will have lesser victims. But it has the potential to get much worse than the flu if not contained. And we must contain it now, but each day passing makes containment ever more difficult.

There is also the risk that COVID-19 can become endemic like the flu, which means it comes back each year. This would be pretty bad, because of the higher mortality rate.

Corona virus have been know for 90 years, so it is somewhat endemic and will come back and forth.

And again not denying it is critical and needs attention, but it is getting on the paranoia more than anything. Total shutdown in several places, ban on more than few folks being near one another (in Brazil a city is demanding that every local place have tables 6ft of one another), market crashing (like 30% loss in a single week), etc.

Flu at 40x less motality and much less infectious per your claim kill about 40k people per year in USA 400M population. On 1B china it killed 4k in 3 months. Seems like we need to be more paranoid over regular flu.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Is part of gus plan naking people work during a pandemic?

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Corona virus have been know for 90 years, so it is somewhat endemic and will come back and forth.

And again not denying it is critical and needs attention, but it is getting on the paranoia more than anything. Total shutdown in several places, ban on more than few folks being near one another (in Brazil a city is demanding that every local place have tables 6ft of one another), market crashing (like 30% loss in a single week), etc.

Flu at 40x less motality and much less infectious per your claim kill about 40k people per year in USA 400M population. On 1B china it killed 4k in 3 months. Seems like we need to be more paranoid over regular flu.

It killed only 4000 people in China, because China contained it fast and decisive. With great effort. It only affected 80K people, not 1 billion. So you can make your own off the cuff calculation about the victim count if not contained.

Also Corona virus is a family of viruses. SARS and MERS are also Corona viruses. That's why it is more accurate to talk about COVID-19. COVID-19 isn't endemic (yet). It will become endemic if not contained, and that would put the flu at the bckburner as the lesser threat.