Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 85 48.02%

No, but I will be followi... 50 28.25%

No, its being overblown 42 23.73%

Total:177
Pemalite said:

No cases -at all- for my entire state, no one in hospital or intensive care, we beat the damn virus.

This came across my news feed today and I laughed.

Haha!

Look at how peaceful the peace bridge looks nowadays

That's the US/Canada border crossing at Buffalo, PA right now.

Here are some more covid19 border crossings
https://www.nittec.org/cameras/?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Haha!

<SNIP>

Lots of traffic here... Everyone going about their daily lives like COVID never happened. It's pretty good... Just proves that economy is only temporary, life is far more valuable and need to be prioritized.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Haha!

Lots of traffic here... Everyone going about their daily lives like COVID never happened. It's pretty good... Just proves that economy is only temporary, life is far more valuable and need to be prioritized.

The border is closed, but local traffic is not all that far from usual. It did solve the traffic jam problem on the highways, replacing it with more people speeding and going for street racing :/ Next week will get more busy.

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Haha!

The lockdowns have been the right decisions but many people will definitely not have the same life the next years as they had before. Even in Australia because of the global situation.

The real economical problems which will destroy many existences aren't there, yet.

Just look at Italy. A country which was already in huge trouble before. Now you have much more the government has to pay while getting much less in taxes. Countries won't be able to save every company even with them pumping money they don't even have into these companies.

Suicides will also increase a lot the next year(s).

But I'm still with you that the lockdowns had to happen

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 15 May 2020

crissindahouse said:
Pemalite said:

The lockdowns have been the right decisions but many people will definitely not have the same life the next years as they had before. Even in Australia because of the global situation.

The real economical problems which will destroy many existences aren't there, yet.

Just look at Italy. A country which was already in huge trouble before. Now you have much more the government has to pay while getting much less in taxes. Countries won't be able to save every company even with them pumping money they don't even have into these companies.

Suicides will also increase a lot the next year(s).

But I'm still with you that the lockdowns had to happen

Government has enacted some smart fiscal policy choices.
There is going to be an economic hit, no doubt, but the people are protected by a robust welfare system to weather the storm.

But we will get back to economic growth sooner rather than later... Sooner than most countries because we have successfully beaten COVID 19.

Around the Network

With India and Peru having higher Number of reported cases that drops China to number 13

Pemalite said:

No cases -at all- for my entire state, no one in hospital or intensive care, we beat the damn virus.

This came across my news feed today and I laughed.

In denmark we were considering something simular.
Soon to allow germany/norway/ect into denmark (next month ish, I think).

However the worry of swedes visiting and spreading the virus was mentioned.
So basically they wanted to allow some countries access, but not others (based on the spread of the infections).

Ofc Sweden was quick to say "you cant just allow other countries access but then not us"

Honestly Canada not allowing US citizens into their country is perfectly understandable imo.

Woww.... Brazil is seeing crazy growth rates..... Their government gives 0 fucks.
Wont be long before you see 20,000+ or 30,000+ daily new cases there if they are not going to do anyhting to stop spread.

Russia's numbers got really high quick, but appears to be plateauing now.
Brazil's just keep on growing.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 May 2020

JRPGfan said:

In denmark we were considering something simular.
Soon to allow germany/norway/ect into denmark (next month ish, I think).

However the worry of swedes visiting and spreading the virus was mentioned.
So basically they wanted to allow some countries access, but not others (based on the spread of the infections).

Ofc Sweden was quick to say "you cant just allow other countries access but then not us"

Honestly Canada not allowing US citizens into their country is perfectly understandable imo.

I think it makes sense for nations who have defeated the virus to open up travel with other nations who have also defeated it.

But... I think it would be asinine if Australia and New Zealand opened up to say... China or the United States, then we would have to go through that entire lockdown process again and take yet another economic hit when the disease inevitably starts to rear it's ugly head again.

And if New Zealand opened up to those countries, then I hope Australia cuts itself off from New Zealand.

Either way, progressive policy on containing COVID-19 and putting life above economic output has actually allowed those countries to defeat the virus faster and regain their economic output sooner, it's proven to be highly successful across the globe.

Isn't it strange that other illnesses are going undiagnosed because of fear of Covid, things like Cancer and what not are down to almost zero with referals from GPs here in Ireland and same for most other things. I remember hearing a GP in America last month say he used to refer 8 suspected cancer cases a week. These things don't go away and the Covid has put a plug in the flow going through hospitals, won't we end up with a massive influx of these patients when people get less scared or their symptoms get worse than the fear of Covid or the shame of taking up hospital capacity... I mean, at least in outpatients and wards and won't that be a severe risk to hospitals if it is at the tail end of Summer or going into the fall. It's a rhetorical question I suppose, just something silly I'm worrying about here in Ireland cause even though the Government and healtheir service executive and the national public health team are saying go to the hospital if you're sick, the hospitals are still half empty conpared to just about busting at the seams before Covid. Yeah, a chunk of these were people who would be turned away or given a clean bill of health and maybe a return visit for a checkup a few weeks down the line but still, there is no doubt people who are in need of care are staying at home and weathering it out, possibly getting worse.

China Numba wan!!