By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Its weird to me that dispite our number of infections climbing.... we are still seeing a drop in amount of people hospitalised for it.
For the first time in 5 months, we now no longer have one person sick enough to require the ICU in denmark.

stats:
~1500 active covid19 cases in denmark.
14 people hospitalised.
0 people are currently in the ICU.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Its weird to me that dispite our number of infections climbing.... we are still seeing a drop in amount of people hospitalised for it.
For the first time in 5 months, we now no longer have one person sick enough to require the ICU in denmark.

stats:
14 people hospitalised.

It's likely the same trend as everywhere else, the spread has moved to the younger (more carefree) population. The ones at risk are still hiding and being very careful not to catch it.

This is from last week.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-infections-among-younger-populations-are-skyrocketing-who-says-1.5055030

The COVID-19 pandemic is moving into younger populations, health experts said Thursday, with cases skyrocketing among children, teens and young adults.

Early in the outbreak, health experts stressed that older adults were most at risk for the virus that has infected more than 4.8 million people in the United States, but new data from the World Health Organization shows that most cases -- by far -- are reported in people ages 25 to 64. The proportion of cases in teens and young adults has gone up six-fold, and in very young children and babies the proportion has increased seven-fold, WHO said.

The increase might be explained by broader testing, greater detection of milder cases and shifting demographics of hotspots, but "a rise in risky behavior after easing of public health and social measures" is also to blame, WHO said.

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

stats:
14 people hospitalised.

It's likely the same trend as everywhere else, the spread has moved to the younger (more carefree) population. The ones at risk are still hiding and being very careful not to catch it.

This is from last week.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-infections-among-younger-populations-are-skyrocketing-who-says-1.5055030

The COVID-19 pandemic is moving into younger populations, health experts said Thursday, with cases skyrocketing among children, teens and young adults.

Early in the outbreak, health experts stressed that older adults were most at risk for the virus that has infected more than 4.8 million people in the United States, but new data from the World Health Organization shows that most cases -- by far -- are reported in people ages 25 to 64. The proportion of cases in teens and young adults has gone up six-fold, and in very young children and babies the proportion has increased seven-fold, WHO said.

The increase might be explained by broader testing, greater detection of milder cases and shifting demographics of hotspots, but "a rise in risky behavior after easing of public health and social measures" is also to blame, WHO said.

Yeah that sounds like a likely reason.

Younger people might think it's not a big deal, but they're playing with fire...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/new-cdc-guidance-says-covid-19-rates-in-children-steadily-increasing-1.5065759

"Recent evidence suggests that children likely have the same or higher viral loads in their nasopharynx compared with adults and that children can spread the virus effectively in households and camp settings," the guidance states.

While some U.S. officials -- including the President -- have downplayed the risk coronavirus positions on children, the new CDC guidance notes children can develop severe illness and complications, even if that risk is lower compared to adults. The rate of hospitalizations among children is increasing, the guidance says, and among those hospitalized, one in three children is admitted to intensive care -- the same as adults.

Doctors warn of lasting heart complications

With new evidence and data on the virus emerging almost weekly, health officials now have another warning: the risk of death from coronavirus-related heart damage seems to be far greater than previously thought, the American Heart Association said.

Inflammation of the vascular system and injury to the heart occur in 20% to 30% of hospitalized coronavirus patients and contribute to 40% of deaths, the association said Friday.

Dr. Mitchell Elkind, the association's president, said that the cardiac complications of COVID-19 could be "devastating" and linger after recovery.

The AHA said research indicates coronavirus could lead to heart attacks, acute coronary syndromes, stroke, blood pressure abnormalities, clotting issues, heart muscle inflammation and fatal heartbeat irregularities.

It's a statement that's long been hinted by coronavirus patients across the country, whose bodies were attacked in different ways by the coronavirus.

Hope Germany can get this second wave under control. Actually we're already past the point where we should have implemented a wide spread lockdown again. I demand a statement from Angie who promised that there would be localized lockdowns if it broke out regionally again, but that never happened.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Hope Germany can get this second wave under control. Actually we're already past the point where we should have implemented a wide spread lockdown again. I demand a statement from Angie who promised that there would be localized lockdowns if it broke out regionally again, but that never happened.

?

There's currently only one county with more than 50 cases per 100k, which was declared to be the critical value.

Even the proposed lower value of 35 has only been reached by that same county (it's getting close though).

Infections are going up, no doubt but not as dramatically as it might seem due to bigger testing capacities. The lowest positivity rate was 0.6% and we're now at 1.0%. Still managable but I don't have a good feeling about sending children to school...

Barozi said:
vivster said:

?

There's currently only one county with more than 50 cases per 100k, which was declared to be the critical value.

Even the proposed lower value of 35 has only been reached by that same county (it's getting close though).

Infections are going up, no doubt but not as dramatically as it might seem due to bigger testing capacities. The lowest positivity rate was 0.6% and we're now at 1.0%. Still managable but I don't have a good feeling about sending children to school...

To be fair, that threshold is pretty high. Even in March/April many districts wouldn't have met this threshold. I am also not so sure if absolute numbers are the best guidance here. Absolute numbers mean we react after it is pretty much late. What is worrying me is the clear increase in new infections and no reason why that trend should stop as no measures are implemented. If we wait until this rise leads to high numbers of infections, it is late. We could stop this trend now.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Barozi said:
vivster said:

?

The extra testing card is getting old. Test capacity has been met for a long time, however we're still not catching most of the infections.

Here in Ontario the positivity rate is only 0.33% (30,436 tests added, pending tests decreased by 1,574, 32,010 test resolved with 106 positives) The media reports is as highest number of new cases in 4 days, yet the positivity rate is actually slightly lower since more tests were resolved. (yesterday 92 positives out of 23,760 tests resolved)

However that's mostly routine tests, medical professionals and essential workers that get tested regularly. Meanwhile the younger population where most of the infections now lie either have very mild symptoms or shrug it off as nothing serious. More tests doesn't mean you're testing the right demographic.

Of the new patients, the majority were between the ages of 20 and 39. Twenty-five new cases were reported in people under the age of 20, while less than 14 were recorded in those over the age of 60.

Anyway still hovering near 100 daily, not a lot for nearly 15 million population, but how many mild cases are there remains the question. It keeps coming back even after my local county was clear for nearly 2 weeks. I doubt it actually was clear.

Our medical experts are pretty worried for the fall, predicting the second wave to coincide with flu season and ups and downs continuing al the way into 2022. Hospitals are getting ready for the next wave, ventilators are being stock piled. Ready to go back to school lol.

So apparently outdoor dining in NYC ends October 31st around where the weather starts to drop to under 50 farenheit and will return June next year. How are restaurants supposed to stay afloat from November to May with only takeout?

vivster said:

Germany is 84,000,000 or so..... you guys had 700 new cases yesterday.
Its a big country.

Imagine if accross the entire USA, they found ~2700 cases (usa pop vs germ pop, multipled by germans daily numbers),
and said "we need to shut things down again"? They daily have 55,000-65,000 new cases.
Meanwhile they are like "this is fine, it'll all just go away soon, cant let the cure be worse than the cause"

Hell even denmark we had 100 cases yesterday, and we're a much smaller country than germany.
So germany honestly isn't so bad off with infections yet.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 August 2020