Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 91 49.19%

No, but I will be followi... 50 27.03%

No, its being overblown 44 23.78%

Total:185

Anyone saying China didn't have the biggest hand in this getting out of hand is deluding themselves. Obviously western governments failed too, and have a lot to answer for, but all of this could have been prevented had China and WHO not attempted to downplay the virus to avoid hurting the Chinese economy.

Around the Network
vivster said:
SpokenTruth said:

This is the positive cases in my county by age group.  That whole notion that "it only affects old" is BS.  Under 55 = 80 cases.  Over 55 = 83 cases.

No one actually ever said that. And no one ever claimed that the virus is less infectious to younger people. What we do see is an incredibly low chance for younger people to develop severe symptoms compared to older people. Like, incredibly low. Low enough to take a chance. Which leads to the correct conclusion that the vast majority of young people has absolutely nothing to fear from the virus. And no singular cases of younger people in ICUs will change that fact.

The statistic you posted even proves that. You see way more older cases because they are more likely to develop serious symptoms and are as such more likely to get tested. It is fair to assume that just as many young people, if not more, are infected by the virus as older people.

Also, I wouldn't actually consider 45-54 year olds "young people". That's the age where you start to develop health issues. You could just as well say that only 46 people under 45 are affected opposed to 117 people 45 and older. Sounds a lot different suddenly, doesn't it?

LurkerJ said:
SpokenTruth said:

This is the positive cases in my county by age group.  That whole notion that "it only affects old" is BS.

good thing that notion never existed in the first place. I have yet to hear anyone says that.

Lucky for you and the people that live around you then.  But this is a very commonly espoused notion in Florida and other parts of the US.

Have you two not paid attention in this thread?  There have been pictures, videos, inks, etc....to people saying exactly that. 

And, Vivster, where did I say 45-54 is young?

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

For some more positive news: Humble Bundle has opened a truly massive Bundle with tons of games, books and comics (as they say, $1071 worth of books and games), and all the income goes to medical organisations combating this pandemic. You're in for the low, low price of $28, but I really suggest to be a bit more generous if you can afford it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle?linkID=&mcID=102:5e837d9134821f6fea4b8667:ot:56d85006733462ca8955e57e:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_03_31_conquercovid_bundle&linkID=&utm_content=hero_image

John2290 said:
Any ideas lads as to why I'm paying morr for shopping? Everything produced inside ireland is the same price, hasn't changed but I piad two euro more for a bottle of a 500ml aloe vera drink made in South Korea, I didn't realize until I checked the reciepts today, among a few other items that are up a few cents but not to that degree. Is this just Supply demmand (I'm leaning towards right now cause some items are down in price) or is it from some effect of the boarders? Or just a few companies taking advantage? Inflation surely won't start for a few months down the road, right...

Probably because in the past, passenger airplanes also transported large amounts of other stuff in their trunks. Since those planes are not flying anymore, the pure cargo airlines have to take over, and there ain't too many of those left. As a result, the cargo airlines are overburdened, both with having urgent medical deliveries and then having to fly all the stuff passenger airlines where flying on top of that and their usual transports, resulting in a lot of extra flights which with passenger planes had otherwise been done anyway.

vivster said:
SvennoJ said:

What do you consider young and incredibly low. I consider anyone under 40 young nowadays lol.

Absolutely nothing to fear is a bit of a stretch. Driving all year gives you about a 0.6 / 18 = 0.033% chance to die in a car accident every year. (Estimate of getting in an accident once every 18 years based on car insurance data, about 0.6% of car accidents lead to one or more fatalities) Of course you have more control over your own fate while driving (and many minor collisions never get reported, so that estimate is also still high)

So yep, under 20, only 1 in 300 chance to have to go to the hospital and less deadly than driving. However a good chance you end up killing someone else by spreading it on :/

This is however good for a country like India where the average age is 28.

With 70% of the population getting infected still over 2 million people will die :( However that's less than the estimate for the US 2.2 million with only a quarter of the population.

Anyway in our western society, average retirement age is 62. A large part of the workforce can be effected, not just sick old people. 1 in 10 chance to end up in the hospital aren't good odds for your experienced staff.

I assume those numbers are based on confirmed cases. If we consider that especially among younger people there are way more unreported cases those numbers really are laughable for anyone under 40. Also not included in those stats are additional health issues like smoking, obesity asthma etc. Which brings down the hospitalization rate for young and healthy people down even further and the fatality rate close to zero. So pretty much what is expected.

I'm well aware of the ramifications of this virus and I wouldn't recommend to any young person to leave their house for any non essential reason. I just don't like the increased dramatization of "OH LOOK, THERE IS A SICK YOUNG PERSON! THAT MEANS THE VIRUS WILL KILL EVERYONE!" when that's incredibly far from the truth.

I think everybody KNOWS that the virus will not actually kill everybody, especially if you are young and healthy, BUT almost everybody have people on their lives that they care about that might be in a higher danger than them, and they don't want to be the ones who take the sickness into their families.

And you have been downplaying this since the very beginning, like when you said: "Just checked and in 2017 in the US alone 55000 people died from Influenza and Pneumonia. Haven't seen any panic about that anywhere." and "It's some kind of virus that spreads fast and has comparably mild symptoms. If I was worried about that I shouldn't be able to even leave my home because flu and cold season is coming and that shit also spreads fast and kills people. But this virus is new and sexy and a novelty, which is why so many bored privileged people are suddenly "concerned" about it." back in January 26th.

If the world had listened to you back then, we would had been in a much, MUCH, worse state right now.

newwil7l said:

Anyone saying China didn't have the biggest hand in this getting out of hand is deluding themselves. Obviously western governments failed too, and have a lot to answer for, but all of this could have been prevented had China and WHO not attempted to downplay the virus to avoid hurting the Chinese economy.

The thing is that pretty much everybody was downplaying this. News about what was happening in China were running around for months now, but all governments did not decide to shut down their borders until the virus was already in their lands (and until they saw that the numbers of deaths in China was actually huge), which obviously was late.

Around the Network

Globally:

Seasonal Flu - 309.68 per day.
Malaria - 624.91 per day.
Suicides - 684.66 per day.
Traffic fatalities - 860.00 per day.
HIV/AIDS - 1,070.98 per day.
Alcohol - 1,593.42 per day.
Smoking - 3,184.87 per day.
Cancer - 5,232.33 per day.
Hunger - 6,526.91 per day.

Coronavirus:

Yesterday it was 3,708 deaths. It's already 4,341 today. 2 weeks ago it was just 817 deaths. Want to guess what it's going to be 2 weeks from now?

And that's with the world trying to fight it. Imagine how many would be dying if we didn't take action.

The seasonal flu killed 40,000 in the US last year. That's an average of 109.58 per day. The coronavirus killed over 700 in the US today so far.

Downplaying it, contrasting it, distracting from it...that's going to get a lot more people killed.

https://www.worldometers.info/

Edit: Less than 100k test done and 23k came in positive.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 31 March 2020

SpokenTruth said:

Globally:

Seasonal Flu - 309.68 per day.
Malaria - 624.91 per day.
Suicides - 684.66 per day.
Traffic fatalities - 860.00 per day.
HIV/AIDS - 1,070.98 per day.
Alcohol - 1,593.42 per day.
Smoking - 3,184.87 per day.
Cancer - 5,232.33 per day.
Hunger - 6,526.91 per day.

Coronavirus:

Yesterday it was 3,708 deaths. It's already 4,341 today. 2 weeks ago it was just 817 deaths. Want to guess what it's going to be 2 weeks from now?

And that's with the world trying to fight it. Imagine how many would be dying if we didn't take action.

The seasonal flu killed 40,000 in the US last year. That's an average of 109.58 per day. The coronavirus killed over 700 in the US today so far.

Downplaying it, contrasting it, distracting from it...that's going to get a lot more people killed.

https://www.worldometers.info/

Ah no sweat, over 50 million people a year die of old age, this is nothing :p

https://ourworldindata.org/what-does-the-world-die-from

Terrorism and Natural disasters are at the bottom, 0.05% and 0.02% of total yearly deaths, yet get the most attention!

Traffic deaths are actually 3700 a day globally, and covid19 is now beating that. That's 1.35 million traffic deaths a year! For the US traffic deaths are on par with the flu, but covid19 is almost 7x worse already, and it's still in the beginning phase. The big difference with dangerous driving is that you at most kill one or two other drivers. Being irresponsible with the spread of this virus, and you could be (partly) responsible for thousands of deaths.

SpokenTruth said:

Coronavirus:

In the Northern Hemisphere, 90% of Flu cases typically occur during a 14-week span between late December and mid March, so it's more like 370 deaths a day with peaks around perhaps 740 - 1,110 or so for an average season.

Accordingly, if 70% of the population was infected with the Flu in a few months, instead of some 10%, that'd be 2,590 and 5,600 - 7,000 deaths a day respectively, and some ~ 2.5 million hospitalizations.

haxxiy said:
SpokenTruth said:

Coronavirus:

In the Northern Hemisphere, 90% of Flu cases typically occur during a 14-week span between late December and mid March, so it's more like 370 deaths a day with peaks around perhaps 740 - 1,110 or so for an average season.

Accordingly, if 70% of the population was infected with the Flu in a few months, instead of some 10%, that'd be 2,590 and 5,600 - 7,000 deaths a day respectively, and some ~ 2.5 million hospitalizations.

Why the hypothetical? The flu won't infect 70% because that's not realistic infection rate. 

But let's say we take your worst realistic daily rate of 1,100.  We just had 4,373 die from Covid-19 today.  That's 4x more deaths than your worst realistic case.  And it's going to get much higher.  

How many must die before you will take this seriously?  Give me a number.  Does it have to kill someone you know?