By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SvennoJ said:
Jesus is having an effect, numbers in a lot of countries are taking a dive for Good Friday, resulting in much lower Saturday numbers. The effect might last all weekend including Easter Monday. Both reported cases and reported deaths are down in a lot of places. Not that the virus takes a break of course, but the people testing and reporting can desperately use a break.

More like: nobody's there to count the victims and report the numbers. Like every weekend, just stronger.

Yep. We'll likely see a larger uptick than usual mid next week in both reported cases and reported deaths. Then at the end of the week perhaps a small uptick from less people sticking to social distancing for Easter and in 2.5 weeks a small uptick in reported deaths. The Easter effect.

Around the Network

jason1637 said:

Can't speak for other countries but the Merkel one is wrong. She usually comes out on top in terms of approval and popularity.

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/746/umfrage/zufriedenheit-mit-der-politischen-arbeit-von-ausgewaehlten-politikern/

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1817/umfrage/noten-fuer-spitzenpolitiker/

Here's one from March 3rd in which she had a +6 (approval minus disapproval). Your graph shows roughly -12 during the same time:

Last edited by Barozi - on 12 April 2020

Barozi said:
jason1637 said:

Can't speak for other countries but the Merkel one is wrong. She usually comes out on top in terms of approval and popularity.

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/746/umfrage/zufriedenheit-mit-der-politischen-arbeit-von-ausgewaehlten-politikern/

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1817/umfrage/noten-fuer-spitzenpolitiker/

Here's one from March 3rd in which she had a +6 (approval minus disapproval). Your graph shows roughly -12 during the same time:

They're different pollsters. 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Barozi said:

They're different pollsters. 

Well yeah but they're still showing quite different results.
I just find it hard to believe that Merkel (who as I said is always among the top in popularity and approval) is in the negative 10 range. Are all of the other politicians supposed to be even lower than that or is someone leading the pack at negative 5?

John2290 said:
Immersiveunreality said:
People are seemingly getting a bit more agressive when they see others crossing the border thinking it is always a violation but they forget that most of them like myself need to cross for the essential work we have to do.

It's funny how peoples worldview changes so suddenly and it is very uneven from what I'm seeing, it's almost as if... no, it's probably factual that a very small portion of the population was even paying attention before this and those that were are still questioning what they thought was true. I think what you are experiencing is just a newly found vigilance among people because of fear and not human nature taking over. At least I hope not, as this is the main route always taken to authoritarianism. It's always the first sign. 

EricHiggin said:

I read the other day that movies of this genre have seen an uptick apparently. I actually downloaded Contagion today since I've never seen it. It also led me to watching 12 Monkeys for the first time the other day, which I've seen referenced quite a few times over the years. It was a bit to trippy for my liking. Pitt's role in the film instantly reminded me of Fight Club. Outbreak was pretty decent as I remember it.

I've been watching them too, lol. Some are relieving because of the hollywood aspect, some are a comedy based on current events and some are a fucking horror akin to how I imagine Catholics took the Exorsist in the 70's.

I faintly remember 12 monkeys but after seeing the last 10 years pass, I don't think there is much legit sci fi that is off the books, I watched V for Vendetta again this evening after someone posted a clip in this thread and I couldn't stop thinking, of something I thought was such far fetched fiction, could actually happen and happen as within a fraction of a generation.

I re-read 1984 just last year and we are so close to that outcome it's fucking silly, the saying sci fi becomes science fact has never been more frightening and the only fucking solace is that we get to choose what path of science fact we route onto. I'm legit scared at this point. 

Those are all just conspiracy theories aren't they?.. lol. And instead of electric flying cars, we have millions of gas guzzlers crawling on smoggy highways with the highly aggravated occupants listening to the 'news', about to finally snap. At least we did until something even worse came along and put and end to that for now, while trading aggravation for agitation. And some people wonder why Musk wants to build electric vehicles, dig new roadways, and occupy Mars so badly.

LurkerJ said:

When the rest of the world has been calling it the Coronavirus and Covid19 since Januari, why try to change the name?

Let's change Mad cow disease to British brain disease and Swine Flu to the American flu?

What's the reason behind renaming it, that's the part that's questionable.

John2290 said:

I've been watching them too, lol. Some are relieving because of the hollywood aspect, some are a comedy based on current events and some are a fucking horror akin to how I imagine Catholics took the Exorsist in the 70's.

I faintly remember 12 monkeys but after seeing the last 10 years pass, I don't think there is much legit sci fi that is off the books, I watched V for Vendetta again this evening after someone posted a clip in this thread and I couldn't stop thinking, of something I thought was such far fetched fiction, could actually happen and happen as within a fraction of a generation.

I re-read 1984 just last year and we are so close to that outcome it's fucking silly, the saying sci fi becomes science fact has never been more frightening and the only fucking solace is that we get to choose what path of science fact we route onto. I'm legit scared at this point. 

I've watched Contagion as well since this began, curious to see what they got right and what was all nonsense.

I started watching Pandemic on Netflix as well but it has put me to sleep several times now lol. But good watch for those that think the flu is just ignored as a problem...

Outbreak, glad it didn't come to that!

12 Monkeys is Terry Gilliam at his best, one of my favorite movies. For time travel, not the disease part.

I watched V for Vendetta a long time ago, I found it a rather boring movie tbh.

Watch Children of men, amazing movie! It feels like Half-life 2 the movie at some points. It's pretty much about what happens when some genetic modified plants accidentally sterilize the whole human race... 30 years later, no children left.

No need to be scared. Take life one day at a time, enjoy the clear skies. No point worrying about what might happen. In the end, it's never as bad as your own imagination or that of Hollywood.

John2290 said:
EricHiggin said:

Those are all just conspiracy theories aren't they?.. lol. And instead of electric flying cars, we have millions of gas guzzlers crawling on smoggy highways with the highly aggravated occupants listening to the 'news', about to finally snap. At least we did until something even worse came along and put and end to that for now, while trading aggravation for agitation. And some people wonder why Musk wants to build electric vehicles, dig new roadways, and occupy Mars so badly.

That's all for nought now, Musk and scientific advancement depended on everything progressing smoothly on the upward tick we were on, no one is going to push for Tesla's and scientific advancement towards the end of scarcity after this because it is so far off and not guaranteed. 

They don't seem like conspiracy theories from where I'm standing right now, this is a make or break moment for the world order and it'll all depend on whom takes advantage of it. Look at history, every crisis has led to a change in the status quo, the order of thing always changes suddenly for better or for worse and that is undeniable but right not we are in an age that is the sci fi of twenty, thirty or... half a century ago and those creators stamped their world view right onto, through their lens of human nature at the time is a very likely outcome, because we have advanced but we've completely forgotten the plight that humans can go through. 

I stepped into two shops today with a lady telling me on loud speaker in foreign voices, one American and one British on how I should behave, while paying for my shopping with the wipe of my card and in one shop being told I'm not allowed to pay with the cash in my hand. A week ago I was told I should set up payment through an app on my phone by a cashier cause that is what will likely be the procedure going forward. People are being pulled from public transport for doing absolutely nothing other than not wearing a mask and rights are being denied on mass. Drones are being deployed as automated civil servants. People are being denied the most basic, fundamental rights en mass and left to go hungry in nations that don't have the services available to sustain a lockdown while their governments hold meetings wearing N95 masks and have drones disinfecting the streets. If this isn't the thing of conspiracy, I don't know what is, cause it doesn't matter the catalyst, virus, wars, other disasters... it doesn't matter, people who want control will seize this opportunity like it is Christmas morning and we'll be left in a sci fi dystopian world but as with old world orders where people were able to break the regime, we won't have that luxury because technology has surpassed the line at which we have a chance.

I recently found out google has been tracking everywhere i visited since 2011 and was able to pull the list up, at least the places I had my phone with me, even though i expressly turned off all tracking in in their settings and have always turned off GPS on my phone, I pulled up the list and it has the amount of time I "visited" my own residences in that space of time... we have all ready been in the fucking dystopia for the last decade and we haven't realised and now google is using this same technology, again without peoples consent to track the virus along side governments. i would have been for this tech a few weeks ago until the implications hit that this will not be lifted, looking at history we very rarely revert to freedoms we have given up in crisis. 2001 being the most recent and we still haven't returned to what was "normality" in the 90's. 

Naturally occurring or not, this virus is creating the future conspiracy in regards to people conspiring right now (or perhaps prior) to change the order of the world to their liking. Based on history this is no less than fact and the likely hood that it is a negative for the masses is far greater than the likely hood that it is a positive. 

Damn, ya got me on a rant. 

My point about Musk was using this rock as an 'experiment' if you will to prepare for heading off to Mars before it's potentially too late. He doesn't think mankind should be a multi planetary species just because it would be cool. He see's where things look to be headed.

I was mostly joking about the conspiracy theory point, on purpose. It's all crazy nonsense says the authorities in power, until it's not.

There's a lot to wonder about and prepare for just in case, yet you can only be so prepared without bankrupting yourself or going overboard for nothing. The biggest worry I have is the whole cashless society thing. Right now is the perfect time for that to be pushed through, and it's happening as we speak. Now what happens after this is over will tell whether or not it was extra caution or taking advantage of a situation. I don't think people in general realize how much of a problem that could be. In an online world, of social media justice, digital only banking easily becomes a nightmare for anyone who dares step out of line.

I wouldn't worry too much, in terms of the west anyway, more so NA. Right now we're still far from 1984. As long as certain rights exist and are upheld for the most part, the people would be able to stop it for the foreseeable future. The main question going forward, is will the world come together even more, or separate somewhat? Both lead to very different outcomes.