By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Sign Up Thread

Okay I've figured out my list for this year. I'll drop it in your message box, mZuzek. No peeking though, I don't want you cheating at the guessing game.

Though I feel my list gets easier and easier to guess each passing year as the years start to look alike.

Around the Network

Table-making practice round 2:

Rank Game Platform
5 Barbie Fashion Designer PC
4 Phalanx (because of the cover) Super NES
3 Shaq Fu Sega Genesis
2 Wonderland Turbo
-2 Adventurous the Cat Returns Super NES

QUESTION 1: I've noticed you can change the background color for tables, which is awesome. I want mine to have a black background with purple borders and text. I've figured out how to make the background black, but I can't figure out how to change the text color to something other than black so people can still see it with that background. How do I make the text purple? Or is that not an option?

Rank Game Platform
3 Shaq Fu Sega Genesis
2 Wonderland Turbo

QUESTION 2: Hmmm...I can see the black background and purple cell border formatting here in the Edit mode, but not after I click Submit and go back to the actual post. Weird. Am I doing something wrong?

Game Rank Platform

Last edited by Jaicee - on 03 November 2019

Jaicee said:

QUESTION 1: I've noticed you can change the background color for tables, which is awesome. I want mine to have a black background with purple borders and text. I've figured out how to make the background black, but I can't figure out how to change the text color to something other than black so people can still see it with that background. How do I make the text purple? Or is that not an option?

Rank Game Platform
3 Shaq Fu Sega Genesis
2 Wonderland Turbo

QUESTION 2: Hmmm...I can see the black background and purple cell border formatting here in the Edit mode, but not after I click Submit and go back to the actual post. Weird. Am I doing something wrong?

I can do it, but only with the HTML-Editor. In the editor you have the menu-point 'View'→'Source Code'. There you can edit the HTML directly. In this you find the table starting with <table style="">

In this style-thingie you can set the styles. If I cite your table, I already have background-color: black; border-color: purple; which sets the background to black and the border to purple. I added color: red to make the text red. The same style-tag is also available for single cells.

EDIT: Hmm, and as I send it, I encounter the same problem as you: in the editor the colors show, but not in the final post. Probably the style is overwritten by the global CSS. Dunno what to do about it. Apparently my edit for the single cell stuck though (I also made the text bold, as purple on black hurts my eyes if not bold). So the solution seems to be to add the style to each table-cell (&lt;td&gt;), but that is a bit of a hassle with a bigger table. Maybe @TalonMan knows better how to do it.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 03 November 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Actually, I think I've just figured it out! Lemme try one more time:

Rank Game Platform
4 Phalanx (because of the cover!) Super NES
3 Shaq Fu All the systems!
1 Something with the term "Atelier" in it for sure.
0 Wonderland Turbo

Hmm...this is tough to read. Maybe I shouldn't try to be too fancy. Think I'll prolly just go with the default style.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 03 November 2019

I will sign up.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Please sign me up! I'll enter for the first time. Don't know if I can even come up with 50 games I played and deem worthy to list, but I'll try.

JuliusHackebeil said:
Please sign me up! I'll enter for the first time. Don't know if I can even come up with 50 games I played and deem worthy to list, but I'll try.

Hello. You're not exactly new, but as you don't post much you feel new. So welcome to VGC and the rgeatest game event. I hope you also join in the guessing game in the discussion (we drop hints about our next game and others guess it). This will probably double your post count.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Count me in. I've got some big changes to make from last year's list.

Eric2048 said:
Count me in. I've got some big changes to make from last year's list.

Congrats on being the 70th to join in and fill up mZuzeks original table. Now, the next one has the chance to explode this table.

Jaicee said:
Scoobes said:

Every scoring system will have some bias to it, but I wanted to have a way to score that encapsulates when a game that I know has been polished and displays close to perfection (and is therefore enjoyable) vs a game that I know is technically less polished, has more annoyances/bugs but has a setting, environment, art style etc. that speaks more to my personal preferences.

As an example: Assassins Creed: Odyssey vs Red Dead Redemption 2

I played both for the same amount of time, but Red Dead Redemption 2 in nearly every way is a more complete package, right down to the horse riding system and animations through to environmental details, writing and characters. I enjoyed playing through and appreciated the depth and detail, but the setting is completely forgettable to me. Therefore, Odyssey ends up with a lower Initial and Modern Score, but higher average as the I love the ancient Greek setting and the emotional connection is much stronger.

By the same boat, the Initial and Modern scores are tailored to account for the difference in older games. Nearly all PS1/N64 games for instance have aged badly, but were revolutionary for their time.

*shrugs* Okay. Whatever approach makes the most sense to you. Sounds like you have one that's well-thought-out and considered!

For me, when I read a simple instruction to "post your top 50 games", I interpret that as a simple call for a favorites list, not an academic exercise in professional games criticism. That's just me, I guess.

Your approach is how I started when Smeags first started this event years ago. After a couple of years it developed into the insane method I have now!

I kept finding new games I played that year that I wanted to add but also remembering old classics I wanted to keep and didn't have a way to sort which ones I actually wanted to have in the top 50. So I ended up with my current method!