By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Sign Up Thread

A winner is me. The ghost raccoon has officially turned me green. I am contented.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Is this why you never respond to my messages?

I'm pretty sure I've responded to messages you've sent me before, especially wall posts. REPLYING to messages works just fine for me. Maybe I haven't responded to every message you've sent me before because you sometimes send me essays and sometimes I delay essay replies until I forget about them, but I do try and keep up!

(Sometimes I don't reply though when something looks like it's supposed to be the final message in a series of them and I don't have much of a response to offer anyway.)

Ah yes, I do have a problem with sending poor unsuspecting people essays. Both in the PM system and on the forums. Sometimes I just really get going and forget that people have lives and don't have time to read a novel from me. :P

I have a preliminary list that I found, but it needs some work, I haven't updated it in years. I need to at least figure out where BotW and Odyssey fit on the list. And Ultimate. And Three Houses. Shit, actually I've got a lot of work to do on this.

I barely had any time to play anything this year, there'll be like only 2 new entries in my list

I'm in.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, I will participate.

Nice.

Scoobes said:
OK, sign me up.

I've lost my old list though so I'm starting from scratch this year rather than just updating so it might take me some time to PM you the list.

By the way, I remake my lists from scratch every year. I figure it's a more accurate way of representing my current views and opinions on my favorite games - just taking an old list and making alterations to it always ends up a bit similar to the previous one. Not saying everyone should do that, but it does have its positives.

I have a set scoring system that I devised to try and take time and nostalgia into account. I score the following out of 10 then take an average:

Initial Score:

Score I gave or would have given the game when I first played it

Modern Score:

Score I give it based on modern standards

Emotional Connection/Nostalgia:

This really is a personalisation score. Some games I simply remember fondly even though I know they're objectively not better than others, some games I just really like the setting or certain characters.

Amount of time played:

The amount of time I personally devoted to playing the game.

I find this helps balance my list as I go down and change the modern and emotional scores every year. I actually have around 200 games ranked in this way from doing this exercise in previous years, lol.

K I'll participate this year. I'll actually change my list up dropping and adding decent amount of games.

HylianSwordsman said:

Ah yes, I do have a problem with sending poor unsuspecting people essays. Both in the PM system and on the forums. Sometimes I just really get going and forget that people have lives and don't have time to read a novel from me. :P

You may have noticed that I often do the same thing; it's all good! I mean my last Democratic debate commentary was what, 10 or 12 paragraphs long? I enjoy expressing myself too. I get it.

My fantasy career way back when was that I was going to be a writer. People told me I lacked what it took, but just look at me now!

Scoobes said:

I have a set scoring system that I devised to try and take time and nostalgia into account. I score the following out of 10 then take an average:

Initial Score:

Score I gave or would have given the game when I first played it

Modern Score:

Score I give it based on modern standards

Emotional Connection/Nostalgia:

This really is a personalisation score. Some games I simply remember fondly even though I know they're objectively not better than others, some games I just really like the setting or certain characters.

Amount of time played:

The amount of time I personally devoted to playing the game.

I find this helps balance my list as I go down and change the modern and emotional scores every year. I actually have around 200 games ranked in this way from doing this exercise in previous years, lol.

I like the "emotional connection/nostalgia" aspect of this. I can't possibly gauge things like that in a tangible score because I find it's subjective enough to change sometimes from day to day for me. It is the only metric I use though. I mean what else matters, frankly, other than what a game means to you? Anyone who uses a different metric to determine their favorite games is a fraud who just wants to be popularz, IMO. My list will be completely non-objective, to that end. A favorites list to me is exactly that. It's not a list of the 50 objectively best-designed games evar, it's a list of games that have meant the most to me and/or brought me the most joy.

I'll get started on my list then.

Won't be a new-new game on it though, nothing this year has earned that. Well, except Link's Awakening, but I already have the original on it so that doesn't count. I'll have some returning games, maybe some new old games, who knows. I don't have Photoshop anymore, I want to make some banners, so I'm going to look for a nice free app.