By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Getting more and more worried about Doom Eternal on Switch

Vodacixi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Personally, I wouldn't play it on Switch because I want 60 fps.

However, I think whenever and whatever the Switch gets will be fine. Also, I think the Switch version could have problems if they try to achieve launch parity. Its evident optimizing for Switch takes extra time.

Well... MK11 enjoyed launch parity and the result was one of the most impressive current gen ports to the Switch. In fact... it achieved 60fps while having an image quality very similar to DOOM.

We shouldn't forget that the Switch version of DOOM Eternal is being made by its own studio: Panic Button. Time and optimization shouldn't be a problem.

But if they actually need more time... they should just say it. And people would understand. Being quiet only makes people worry and especulate...

MK11 isn't the same scale as Doom or Wolfenstein II. It was UE3 which likely made working with Switch easier from an optimization perspective. The Switch version was also handled by a 3rd party.

We know the Switch version of Doom Eternal isn't the priority, maybe they aren't sure if it will be ready. I don't think this is unusual.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Vodacixi said:

Well... MK11 enjoyed launch parity and the result was one of the most impressive current gen ports to the Switch. In fact... it achieved 60fps while having an image quality very similar to DOOM.

We shouldn't forget that the Switch version of DOOM Eternal is being made by its own studio: Panic Button. Time and optimization shouldn't be a problem.

But if they actually need more time... they should just say it. And people would understand. Being quiet only makes people worry and especulate...

MK11 isn't the same scale as Doom or Wolfenstein II. It was UE3 which likely made working with Switch easier from an optimization perspective. The Switch version was also handled by a 3rd party.

We know the Switch version of Doom Eternal isn't the priority, maybe they aren't sure if it will be ready. I don't think this is unusual.

I'm pretty sure UE3 is much less optimized for the Switch than UE4. And as for being handled by a third party... so is DOOM Eternal.

Bethesda has been doing a really good job of supporting Switch so I'm pretty sure they're doing they're best. They're one of the few companies really putting effort into their Switch ports, so if it has to be delayed to be good, I'm fine with that.

Joe Schiaffi said:
I run a shop, here in Italy, and I've just checked: all my italian distributors had only preorders open for PS4, XONE and PC, no Switch version on track. Very weird. From my experience as retailer, I can say that in this case the best scenario is that the game is delayed (much delayed, since that WRC 8 that comes on Switch 2 months late, is however in preorder) but no one here has a product page for the Switch version of Doom Eternal, sadly :(

Assuming this guy is for real (and I see no reason to doubt him), this pretty much settles it - there will be a delay.  

My guess is that the publisher is either a) not announcing a delay in order to keep pressure on the developers to deliver the game ASAP, b) still holding out hope that it will be ready on time, but not taking people's money for preorders so they don't have to hear a bunch of shit when it is inevitably late (Bethesda can't afford that bad PR right now), or c) unsure of when the game will be ready, and would prefer to delay to a specific date, rather than just say "it's gonna be late" in hopes of minimizing the disappointment that comes from the delay.  

Vodacixi said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm pretty sure UE3 is much less optimized for the Switch than UE4. And as for being handled by a third party... so is DOOM Eternal.

You're pretty sure? Well UE3 seems to work well on Switch. You did call MK11 one of the most impressive ports on Switch.

You said Doom Eternal has another studio working on it, I was making sure you knew MK11 did as well.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version comes a little later. But I suspect aiming for the holiday is a goal.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well, Doom Eternal is id Tech 7, not UE4, it's an all new engine that debuting with this game. Still, it's an iterative upgrade over id tech 6 which is well established on Switch with Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, and Youngblood all running on it. I don't think the engine should be an problem.

curl-6 said:

This is weird, is it just not coming out on Switch in Australia? Will I have to import it I wonder.

Australia only release.  That's a good one.

Spindel said:
Nintendo is doomed confirmed!

I know right? That Revolution Remote is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. How do they expect to sell Revolution's when it's controller is a dildo?

sethnintendo said:
curl-6 said:

This is weird, is it just not coming out on Switch in Australia? Will I have to import it I wonder.

I meant the opposite, that it would come out in the major territories but that they might not bother releasing it in minor regions like Oceania, but I wasn't being entirely serious. Mostly just annoyed and antsy cos I want it so badly. Plus my anxiety is through the roof at the moment and few things exacerbate it like uncertainty haha

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 September 2019

curl-6 said:
sethnintendo said:

I meant the opposite, that it would come out in the major territories but that they might not bother releasing it in minor regions like Oceania, but I wasn't being entirely serious. Mostly just annoyed and antsy cos I want it so badly. Plus my anxiety is through the roof at the moment and few things exacerbate it like uncertainty haha

Yeah apparently I read your question wrong.  That would be funny if there was Australia only release. I wonder if any game has ever done that.