By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3 now available for Switch, PS4, and Xbox One; Doom and Doom II for smartphones

Apparently these require you to register a beth account to play offline/online, which sounds bogus, and sounds like Beth is taking a page from Ubisoft's book, in trying to herd everyone into registering to their service.

They are ancient games, just leave them be, without having to register another account.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Damn just like that out of nowhere. Does it have achievements?

All that's missing now is Doom 64.
And speak of the devil...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/340994-rumor-doom-64-may-be-coming-to-switch

LivingMetal said:
Barozi said:

Looks like it's a butchered port. No online multiplayer or co-op.

Also Doom and Doom 2 seem to have DRM included.

I found a new copy of 1 and 2 on the PS3 version of 3 for only $13 USD.  I won.

Doom 3 BFG (includes Doom 1 + 2) for less than four bucks:

The WADs of the included (Ultimate) Doom 1 and Doom 2 are also compatible to mods, so you can use them in Brutal Doom, GZ-Doom (VR), Hentai Doom or even a combination of them

View on YouTube

And Doom 3 in VR is absolutely awesome:

View on YouTube

Last edited by Conina - on 27 July 2019

Barozi said:

Amazing job from Bethesda and id.

LivingMetal said:
Barozi said:

I found a new copy of 1 and 2 on the PS3 version of 3 for only $13 USD.  I won.

You really did.

Chazore said:
Apparently these require you to register a beth account to play offline/online, which sounds bogus, and sounds like Beth is taking a page from Ubisoft's book, in trying to herd everyone into registering to their service.

They are ancient games, just leave them be, without having to register another account.

What a complete and total joke. I was already himming and hawing, due to having played these to death and the price being a bit iffy, then I read this, and the whole thing is torpedoed. Wouldn't even buy it dirt-cheap in a future sale. Bethesda can take their registration process, with their account, and cram it with walnuts. Right now the most interesting thing about them is the competition they're having with themselves to see if they suck more as a developer or a publisher.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Hmm, I bought the first for a short and fun shooting stint and Bethesda already threw a wrench in it by asking me for an account and then for 15 minutes or so it failed (probably server overloaded or something). Way to go Bethesda, to spoil the fun.

I compared a bit with Ultimate Doom from Gog, and besides this ridiculous Bethesda-login it pretty much is the same. Both have resolutions that seem to me higher than the orginal VGA but not HD either (some sort of SVGA or so). Both don't support widescreen. On the Switch there is no button mapping (as far as I know) to deactivate follow-mode in the automap, which is unfortunate.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Zkuq said:
episteme said:

BFG without the separate flashlight. And no online multiplayer or coop.

That's... an interesting choice.

Especially since you need to connect to the internet every time for the full game.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Zkuq said:

That's... an interesting choice.

Especially since you need to connect to the internet every time for the full game.

That makes absolutely no sense, I assume? Does it even provide any benefits to the player? I would assume not, and even if it does, I can't see it being worth it. At this point, I'm very close to being ready to regard Bethesda as the worst publisher out there. Bethesda was never great as a developer due to all the dumbing down for each game and especially how broken everything is, but at the same time, there's always been some magic to their games and mods to fix them, but as a publisher, Bethesda has really taken it to another level.

Zkuq said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That makes absolutely no sense, I assume? Does it even provide any benefits to the player? I would assume not, and even if it does, I can't see it being worth it. At this point, I'm very close to being ready to regard Bethesda as the worst publisher out there. Bethesda was never great as a developer due to all the dumbing down for each game and especially how broken everything is, but at the same time, there's always been some magic to their games and mods to fix them, but as a publisher, Bethesda has really taken it to another level.

Yeah, it makes no sense. For Doom 1 and 2 at least, you only need to create an account at Bethesda if you don't have one or connect the game to it, but for Doom 3, you need to do this every single time you launch the game.

And since it's so nonsensical, the Internet is starting to have a field day with it: https://kotaku.com/1993-s-doom-requires-a-bethesda-account-to-play-on-swit-1836743713

Just need Final doom and Doom 64. Please make that happen.