By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3 now available for Switch, PS4, and Xbox One; Doom and Doom II for smartphones

Maybe I will buy this version of Doom instead of the new one.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

There was a glitch....cough-cough.... that saw all the previous Doom 1 & 2 games delisted on both PSN and XBL. Bethesda is fixing this mysterious glitch, because they are awesome, even though god hates them and shows it by delisting their old Doom games on 2 different console storefronts.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 27 July 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

What a complete and total joke. I was already himming and hawing, due to having played these to death and the price being a bit iffy, then I read this, and the whole thing is torpedoed. Wouldn't even buy it dirt-cheap in a future sale. Bethesda can take their registration process, with their account, and cram it with walnuts. Right now the most interesting thing about them is the competition they're having with themselves to see if they suck more as a developer or a publisher.

What makes it worse, is that their service is basically non existent, because you can see how well that went for games sold on their own, extremely bare-bones client, let alone Fallout 76 and their service. 

I do have a beth account, primarily for ESO (technically Zenimax) and once for a one time gander at Fallout 4's workshop, but apart from that, I've no reason nor any desire to use that crappy service.

The fact they willingly tied this to 3, well known, well played and most played as an SP game, just shows that they are more than willing to cram as many people onto their service, so they can likely pull a "hey guys, didja hear, we've got 50 million accounts, look at how popular we are, and how everyone is willingly flocking towards our online service!".

Ubisoft recently stated an increase on their Uplay service, but that was very much due to the fact that not many wanted to download and install EGS, and instead opting for Uplay, which a good number of PC systems, will already have installed and registered.

To them it's exciting and a bold strategy, but it's downright scummy to me, because I don't want a game being tied to a crappy always online based service, specially for 3 ancient games, which I played all completely offline, back in the day. There's virtually no reason for them to do this, other than to shove us onto their online network service. 

I myself, was wanting to buy the collection on Switch, because I'd love to play all 3 on the go, in bed etc, but even though I already have a Beth account, I'm irked because it means I won't be able to play those games, fully free of some form of DRM, so it's a no go from me as well.

Basically, don't enforce your own crappy services where they don't belong, let alone on older titles, that have long since outlived needing any form of a network/service for them.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Zkuq said:

That makes absolutely no sense, I assume? Does it even provide any benefits to the player? I would assume not, and even if it does, I can't see it being worth it. At this point, I'm very close to being ready to regard Bethesda as the worst publisher out there. Bethesda was never great as a developer due to all the dumbing down for each game and especially how broken everything is, but at the same time, there's always been some magic to their games and mods to fix them, but as a publisher, Bethesda has really taken it to another level.

Yeah, it makes no sense. For Doom 1 and 2 at least, you only need to create an account at Bethesda if you don't have one or connect the game to it, but for Doom 3, you need to do this every single time you launch the game.

And since it's so nonsensical, the Internet is starting to have a field day with it: https://kotaku.com/1993-s-doom-requires-a-bethesda-account-to-play-on-swit-1836743713

They really need to sit back and take a long hard look at this quick ire they're earning, then report that they are going to remove it, because it's only going to get worse, the more times they do this with old and newer ports over time.

I didn't like using their crappy client, and I certainly don't like their crappy online services either. 

Older games, that didn't really rely all that much on MP based gaming, don't really have a reason to inject a layer of DRM into a new port. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The compulsory login was meant to be optional, according to Bethesda; they are fixing it now:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/341026-doom-classic-ii-iii-s-bethesda-net-login-was-meant-to-be-optional

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 July 2019

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The compulsory login was meant to be optional, Bethesda are fixing it now:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/341026-doom-classic-ii-iii-s-bethesda-net-login-was-meant-to-be-optional

My impression is that Bethesda has a (short) history of scummy things even before this, so I have fairly little faith in this statement. I reckon Bethesda tried to see if they can get away with this, then chose 'it was an accident' as a backup strategy.

curl-6 said:

I don't buy that shit for one second.

Oh, and the memes are rolling in! "A Bethesda.net account is required to view this tweet." ROTGDFLMMFAO! 😂😂😂😂😂

Well, whether it was an oversight or not, all's well that ends well the way I see it. The important thing is, it's getting fixed.

I already own the games, as I got the special edition of Doom 3 on the original Xbox that came with Doom I & II included, (plus I have the original game on the SNES in all its low res glory haha) but still, it's nice to have the classics available on Switch, for those who like to play on the go, or who prefer to have their games on their current system.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 July 2019

KManX89 said:
curl-6 said:

I don't buy that shit for one second.

Oh, and the memes are rolling in! "A Bethesda.net account is required to view this tweet." ROTGDFLMMFAO! 😂😂😂😂😂

Of course they would backpedal and come with the excuse that it's just a mistake, an accident, etc... as the publishers always do when their bullshit gets caught and called out for. Worst part of it is that so many believe them over and over again that these things were just mistakes and not planned and pulled back due to backlash they got.

Video gamers in 2017: Bethesda is the best publisher!

Video gamers in 2018: Bethesda is better than EA and Activision

Video gamers in 2019: EA and Activision are pure evil, but at least they're not Bethesda!

Yeah, that went down quickly, good job Todd.

It just works!

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 27 July 2019

I'm showing my age here, but as someone who remembers when Doom 3 was a graphical monster that had to be substantially downgraded just to run on the strongest home console of the time, seeing it run on a handheld is one of those "wow, we've come a long way" moments.