By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Lite is a side product, when will Switch Pro arrive?

I wont hold my breath for a Switch Pro, but like many have mentioned I can see a Switch TV like the Vita TV, but please have Netflix by then (or sooner lol)

Around the Network

It must really arrive in 2020 if else Nintendo can just roll out a NS 2.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

What the hell is this “Switch Pro” thing? I see it mentioned a few times in this forum. Is it some kind of dev kit?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

What's the pro version going to do? BSe versions struggle as some games look awful. No doubt pro will look better but it will make original purchasers feel pissed

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

The upgrade might be smaller than 3DS to new 3DS. Seems that is just the regular switch with a similar chip of Lite version.
Allows to double the battery life in HH mode, and increase the clock on dock to better performance for dinamic resolution games.
In the worst of cases, wont be rebranded, and be the same switch.
In the best of cases, will be rebranded(switch +), less belezs, 1080p screen and allows an optional performance mode on hh, to match the regular switch dock performance hh.

Anyway, 2020.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Switch Pro does seem to be coming. The FCC recently released some paperwork where Nintendo filed for a new Switch model, and the changes they requested were a new SoC, a new memory type, and a new motherboard. That info doesn't match the Switch Lite, as the Switch Lite is using the same memory as the current Switch. And that is on top of both Nikkei and Wall Street Journal saying it was in development.

No, Nintendo filed to make changes to their original model.  It’s like how the 360 had like 4 different types of chip configurations.  Console makers do this when they find ways to reduce cost.  The FCC report is just some modifications to the orginal, most likely to incorporate new methods to cut costs, not a new model.

edit:  it could mean very slight improvements, but it wouldn’t be enough for Nintendo to market it as a new model.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/07/10/nintendo-is-quietly-updating-the-cpu-on-the-original-switch

I can't see a Switch home console that's cheaper than the Switch hybrid. If Nin wanted that, they could have just included a dock with Switch Lite, or maybe they will sell one as an optional add on. If you want a dedicated Switch home console you likely want more performance, otherwise just buy a Switch hybrid, since it has a dock.

How can anyone call lite niche? It's targeting the 3ds/day market (which is bigger than the Wii/Wii u/switch one) at a ridiculously cheap introductory price. It's also got the high likely hood of current switch owners buying it not to replace their switch but to have in addition to for more outside time. This thing will sell far more than any Switch Pro would. Compare 2ds or Ds Lite sales to new 3ds sales for proof. The hardcore will just wait it out until a new generation comes out a year or two after the pro, making it sell horribly. Nintendo knows their market and what they are doing. Yes to the Lite, no to the pro, and bring on Switch 2 in a few years.

gergroy said:
shikamaru317 said:
Switch Pro does seem to be coming. The FCC recently released some paperwork where Nintendo filed for a new Switch model, and the changes they requested were a new SoC, a new memory type, and a new motherboard. That info doesn't match the Switch Lite, as the Switch Lite is using the same memory as the current Switch. And that is on top of both Nikkei and Wall Street Journal saying it was in development.

No, Nintendo filed to make changes to their original model.  It’s like how the 360 had like 4 different types of chip configurations.  Console makers do this when they find ways to reduce cost.  The FCC report is just some modifications to the orginal, most likely to incorporate new methods to cut costs, not a new model.

edit:  it could mean very slight improvements, but it wouldn’t be enough for Nintendo to market it as a new model.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/07/10/nintendo-is-quietly-updating-the-cpu-on-the-original-switch

NVidia apparently updated the X1 slightly for their next Shield TV, so it's quite probable the original X1 production will end and be replaced by the new model.

And the change in NAND could mean that the upcoming model may come with a larger storage space, which would be a nice bonus. Not sure if it's possible to have 2 different models with this that only differ in their storage space (and maybe color scheme), but if that's possible with this, then I expect the OG Switch to drop to $250 around the holiday season and a new "top model" with 128GB storage space along with it at the original pricetag.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 12 July 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:
gergroy said:

NVidia apparently updated the X1 slightly for their next Shield TV, so it's quite probable the original X1 production will end and be replaced by the new model.

And the change in NAND could mean that the upcoming model may come with a larger storage space, which would be a nice bonus. Not sure if it's possible to have 2 different models with this that only differ in their storage space (and maybe color scheme), but if that's possible with this, then I expect the OG Switch to drop to $250 around the holiday season and a new "top model" with 128GB storage space along with it at the original pricetag.

You're daydreaming.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]