By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Lite is a side product, when will Switch Pro arrive?

Dulfite said:
How can anyone call lite niche?

Yeah didn't notice that. While the handheld market is smaller than the home console market the Switch Lite is definitely not "niche". Not even close to it.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

NVidia apparently updated the X1 slightly for their next Shield TV, so it's quite probable the original X1 production will end and be replaced by the new model.

And the change in NAND could mean that the upcoming model may come with a larger storage space, which would be a nice bonus. Not sure if it's possible to have 2 different models with this that only differ in their storage space (and maybe color scheme), but if that's possible with this, then I expect the OG Switch to drop to $250 around the holiday season and a new "top model" with 128GB storage space along with it at the original pricetag.

You're daydreaming.

NAND Flash Memory has become so cheap that fot $50 you can actually buy a 256GB SD card right now, so 128GB would be possible. At the very least 64 GB, but I fear that would just too little for most to consider that version worthwhile if the increase would be so small.

"Since the main Switch form factor's not going anywhere, that means the Switch Pro is more than likely real as well."

No. Those two things aren't logically connected.

"I was skeptical of Nintendo introducing a handheld only Switch as I felt it'd be an admission by them that the Switch concept wasn't good, signalling a lack of confidence in their own products. But that said, they did a good job keeping the 2DS and main 3DS systems in the spotlight together for most of the 3DS' life, so if they can have the main Switch form factor, and Switch Lite co-existing, then I think the Switch will be fine."

I don't understand why, but ok.

4 ≈ One

Barkley said:
Dulfite said:
How can anyone call lite niche?

Yeah didn't notice that. While the handheld market is smaller than the home console market the Switch Lite is definitely not "niche". Not even close to it.

I’d say that handheld gamers are an identifiable niche, as are home console gamers; these are only small parts of the overall video game market that spans over 2.2 billion: dedicated handhelds account for less than 1% of that, and today are mostly Pokémon fans.

The hybrid Switch is a larger market than the dedicated handheld market; but even that is a niche accounting for (again) less than 1% of gamers.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Summer 2020 at the very earliest. I think it would be smart to release it in Summer or Early Fall. Waiting until the PS5 and Scarlet are out wouldn't be a good idea in my mind. And though this is a separate discussion, Switch Pro needs to be at LEAST as powerful as the base PS4. I can't even imagine if Nintendo makes yet another piece of hardware that's in between the 360/PS3 and XBONE/PS4.

I think the Switch's successor would then release between Holiday 2022 and March 2024.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
"Since the main Switch form factor's not going anywhere, that means the Switch Pro is more than likely real as well."

No. Those two things aren't logically connected.

"I was skeptical of Nintendo introducing a handheld only Switch as I felt it'd be an admission by them that the Switch concept wasn't good, signalling a lack of confidence in their own products. But that said, they did a good job keeping the 2DS and main 3DS systems in the spotlight together for most of the 3DS' life, so if they can have the main Switch form factor, and Switch Lite co-existing, then I think the Switch will be fine."

I don't understand why, but ok.

I don’t get why s/he thinks Nintendo would admit the Switch concept wasn’t good with the Lite. They announced it because of how the market has responded to the concept so far. Nintendo has an R&D team so they have the data that gives them an idea of how the Switch is being utilized by consumers.

Wman1996 said:
Switch Pro needs to be at LEAST as powerful as the base PS4. I can't even imagine if Nintendo makes yet another piece of hardware that's in between the 360/PS3 and XBONE/PS4.

Mobile technology doesn't work that way. There's nothing that could make the Switch as powerful as a base PS4 without making the price expensive or draining too much battery and consuming a lot of heat.

At this point the Switch pro is probably a long way off, if it is still coming.
References to the new 16nm X1 die shrink 'Mariko' (chip used in the Lite and likely in the new Switch revision coming up) have been first found in the Switches OS over a year ago.
If there was yet another different chip coming up, presumably we would see hints toward it in the OS already.
There's probably going to be a silent revision on the standart Switch later this year, with the new internals but no further changes. They might not even allow developers to leverage the additional power in the chip (it's theoretically up to ~30% faster than the Switches current highest clock) to keep up parity with the OG model, so the main improvement would be battery life.

So I expect as silent revision, featuring better battery life sometime this year, and sadly don't really see a true 'pro' on the horizon. At this point I think a fully fledged Switch 2 might be more likely, with maybe a customized, die shrunk X2-based chip in it.

Calling the Lite a side product is very dumb, as a pro would only be more popular if it replaced the OG switch in its entirety. However, the pro is launching with botw2. Just remains to be seen how much of a pro this console really is

SuperNova said:
At this point the Switch pro is probably a long way off, if it is still coming.
References to the new 16nm X1 die shrink 'Mariko' (chip used in the Lite and likely in the new Switch revision coming up) have been first found in the Switches OS over a year ago.
If there was yet another different chip coming up, presumably we would see hints toward it in the OS already.
There's probably going to be a silent revision on the standart Switch later this year, with the new internals but no further changes. They might not even allow developers to leverage the additional power in the chip (it's theoretically up to ~30% faster than the Switches current highest clock) to keep up parity with the OG model, so the main improvement would be battery life.

So I expect as silent revision, featuring better battery life sometime this year, and sadly don't really see a true 'pro' on the horizon. At this point I think a fully fledged Switch 2 might be more likely, with maybe a customized, die shrunk X2-based chip in it.

Porting to 12nm (As it's based on 16nm FF which in turn is based on 20nm Planar) is a fairly straight forward task, so there is room for improvement in a few years time still.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--