By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloodstained on Switch's first week outsells PS4's and Xbone's combined (UK)

These results are not too surprising to me.  Sure the Switch version is by far the inferior one, but people are not buying Switch for top performance.  Instead here are why people like the Switch version:

1.  2D games are more appealing to Switch owners.

2.  A lot of people want to play this game on the go.  Switch is the only way to do that.

3.  Collectors prefer carts to discs, because they are more durable and easier to store.

4.  People are currently more in the habit of playing their Switch regularly.  PS4 and XB1 are old and gamers want to move on to a new console after a while.  If the last game they were playing was on Switch (like Smash Bros), then the next game will probably be on Switch too, all things being equal.  It's about habit.

Put all of that and you can see why Switch is not going to be hampered by PS5 and Scarlett either.  There are a lot of people out there that don't really care that much about performance (including every person who likes Minecraft).  Instead they just want a system with a lot of fun games on it and at a decent price.  That is Switch.

Around the Network
weraru_1 said:

Kind of sucks that everyone's buying the gimped version of this game. Makes me wish they put more effort into not making it cheeks.

Devs in general just shouldn't release shitty gimped ports.

Being the weakest system, Switch usually draws in short straw in terms of technically shoddy conversions, but there are tons of excellent ports on the system at this point that show it doesn't have to be this way and that it's down to the developer not to short-change their audience, especially when that audience might represent a bigger share of their sales than the more powerful consoles.

Seems like a title PS4 and Xbox One gamers would be more likely to buy digitally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Shiken said:
This was expected. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to develop the game for Switch and then port to the other consoles, considering indie and metroidvania style games almost always sell more on Switch to begin with.

It was developed before the Switch was even known. In fact, My kickstarter pledge was for (back then) a promised Wii U port of the game

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

These results are not too surprising to me.  Sure the Switch version is by far the inferior one, but people are not buying Switch for top performance.  Instead here are why people like the Switch version:

1.  2D games are more appealing to Switch owners.

2.  A lot of people want to play this game on the go.  Switch is the only way to do that.

3.  Collectors prefer carts to discs, because they are more durable and easier to store.

4.  People are currently more in the habit of playing their Switch regularly.  PS4 and XB1 are old and gamers want to move on to a new console after a while.  If the last game they were playing was on Switch (like Smash Bros), then the next game will probably be on Switch too, all things being equal.  It's about habit.

Put all of that and you can see why Switch is not going to be hampered by PS5 and Scarlett either.  There are a lot of people out there that don't really care that much about performance (including every person who likes Minecraft).  Instead they just want a system with a lot of fun games on it and at a decent price.  That is Switch.

Write this in fewer lines and you might have yourself a career in advertising.

Heh, maybe.  I am still very much of the mindset that Switch will become the best selling console of all time.  That is why I am typing this. 

Most people see that as unthinkable, but there is a growing number of data points that say otherwise.  On the surface there seems to be no good reason why this crappy port should be selling so well.  Once you realize why Bloodstained is selling well, then it becomes more obvious that lots of Switch games fit into this category.  All of this focus on power and graphics is a distraction from what matters in sales.  Switch sales are going to increase and this is another data point showing why Switch sales will continue to increase. 

Switch will not be hampered by PS5 and Scarlett.  If anything their release will make the Switch a lot more attractive since it will be lower price and have a larger game library.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
As expected, these more retro games will always do better on Switch than other consoles. (Stardew valley, Shovel Knight etc). Just as pretty much every AAA western game will do better on the others. That's just what the players on those systems want.

Never pay attention to what everyone else wants. I don't care. I got it for PS4 and am playing on my 55" 4K with 60fps and it's just some of the most breathtaking and beautiful imagery I have seen in a side-scroller of this kind.

Kind of surprised given that the port was half-assed, although the Switch is the home of a lot of this game's target audience. Hopefully a patch will now be coming sooner rather than later.

I got the physical version of this game a while ago but I have held off playing it because of lack of time and because for some reason I can’t put down Dragons Dogma :P

But anyhow, I just got around to play it and it really is an exellent game. I don’t get the hate from people on this forum for the switch version (I have not played the game, or even seen it, on any other system so I don’t have that point of reference.

As for both the frame rate and supposed input lag the Switch version controlls and feels on spot with a classic Castlevania game (I made a thread a while back where I got a lot of flaming for stating that Castelvania games have always had controlls that suck). So far I have not gotten very far in the game and I have not experienced any crashes and I’ve played it both on the TV and handheld (prefer playing it on the TV with a pro-controller with a real D-pad)

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

But why?

Switch version is 30fps (instead of 60), stutters, has input lag, and lower resolutions / missing effects + textures.

There was a review embargo, so it wasn't known to people how lacking the Switch version is until after they had bought the game.

That Switch would be the prefered platform for this game wasn't hard to recognize. After all, the six most recent Igavanias were published on the GBA and DS.

Also the Switch is less overflooded by games so a "indie" title can have more attention and gamersbudget pointed towards it.

Immersiveunreality said:
RolStoppable said:

There was a review embargo, so it wasn't known to people how lacking the Switch version is until after they had bought the game.

That Switch would be the prefered platform for this game wasn't hard to recognize. After all, the six most recent Igavanias were published on the GBA and DS.

Also the Switch is less overflooded by games so a "indie" title can have more attention and gamersbudget pointed towards it.

My impression is also that Switch owners are, in general, more accepting of a game having lower budget production values or being retro-esque.