Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloodstained on Switch's first week outsells PS4's and Xbone's combined (UK)

konnichiwa said:
The Fury said:

So question based on this thread. Do Crowdfunded sales count in stats like these? I mean many people would have already bought the game and asked for it on their prefered platform. When this game was first Crowdfunded, the Switch wasn't even out and the option for your copy to be on Switch wasn't available at the time.

SO... the high sales for Switch version is because many of those who pledged got their copies on other platforms already and don't count in sales.

Still wouldn't expect it to outsell both of them so that's great but just a thought.

It would have a minimal effect.  It has +60K backers and how many were from the UK 10K?  And that 10K is divided by platforms so at best a few thousand copies.  Aren't people just buying it more digital on other consoles would have been a better discussion point =p.  If this accounts digital this is an amazing performance for Switch :).

No it's doesn't count digital sales, Gfk was supposed to start a combined physical/digital sales chart for the UK from 1st January this year but never did for some unknown reason.

Digital charts have started coming since the beginning of June, Here is a few below:

Digital UK Week 21

Digital UK Week 22

Around the Network

Congrats to Switch, but is this a game that was expected to sell a lot in any platform before hand?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Congrats to Switch, but is this a game that was expected to sell a lot in any platform before hand?

Not really, but it was always destined to sell the most on Switch

Nothing to see here, move along

The Fury said:
Shiken said:
This was expected. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to develop the game for Switch and then port to the other consoles, considering indie and metroidvania style games almost always sell more on Switch to begin with.

The game has been in development since before Switch was even a thing, so can't really be helped in this case.

So was Hollow Knight and various others the developers behind those still handled their projects a lot better than here, Bloodstained's developer may have just shot themselves in the foot here because having an embargo up that stops people finding out the issues of the said version which was going to sell more given the platform's track record with indies is not going to give a good first impression.

Wyrdness said:
The Fury said:

The game has been in development since before Switch was even a thing, so can't really be helped in this case.

So was Hollow Knight and various others the developers behind those still handled their projects a lot better than here, Bloodstained's developer may have just shot themselves in the foot here because having an embargo up that stops people finding out the issues of the said version which was going to sell more given the platform's track record with indies is not going to give a good first impression.

They had an embargo up for the other versions too and those turned out fine, everyone loves the game. Hollow Knight was released on Switch well over a year after the original version had come out - you can imagine that'd be suicide for Bloodstained, they'd be missing out on loads of sales because there was plenty of hype over the game and people would've eventually played it somewhere else, they wouldn't bother by the time the Switch version came along. Hollow Knight could get away with this because it was a relatively low-profile game that only started getting some hype after it released and people realized how good it was, and of course, Switch being its first console release helped, too.

I can assure you, most people who bought this game on the Switch barely care about the "big issues" going on. Most people complaining are the ones who haven't bought it in the first place.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

They had an embargo up for the other versions too and those turned out fine, everyone loves the game. Hollow Knight was released on Switch well over a year after the original version had come out - you can imagine that'd be suicide for Bloodstained, they'd be missing out on loads of sales because there was plenty of hype over the game and people would've eventually played it somewhere else, they wouldn't bother by the time the Switch version came along. Hollow Knight could get away with this because it was a relatively low-profile game that only started getting some hype after it released and people realized how good it was, and of course, Switch being its first console release helped, too.

I can assure you, most people who bought this game on the Switch barely care about the "big issues" going on. Most people complaining are the ones who haven't bought it in the first place.

No Hollow Knight had a lot of hype when released hence it's hugely successful crowdfunding campaign the true reason Hollow Knight got away with it was because the game was handled well players wanting the Switch version will get that version regardless hence why games like Diablo, Dark Souls and Doom still did fine launcher later so that's hardly an excuse because right now the game needs significant polishing from what I've played, want an example of the big issues so far here's what I've come across so far:

- Frame drops
- Pause screen loading up to 8 seconds
- Hitbox issues
- Hit detection issues
- Game Over Screen loading issues (Can take up to 30 seconds)
- Random freezes during play
- Dying causing the game to lock up or start having performance issues
- Save rooms sometimes bugging out

This and I'm early in the game these are serious issues that people who have bought the game can run into right now and affect what otherwise would be an enjoyable game.

Congrats to switch on the win.

Just wanted to say though, bought this physically for a standard PS4, i'm 30% castle completion and 6-7 hours in, not one single issue yet, and i have to say this...... the game is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.....!!!!!!

That is all.

Wyrdness said:
mZuzek said:

No Hollow Knight had a lot of hype when released hence it's hugely successful crowdfunding campaign the true reason Hollow Knight got away with it was because the game was handled well players wanting the Switch version will get that version regardless hence why games like Diablo, Dark Souls and Doom still did fine launcher later so that's hardly an excuse because right now the game needs significant polishing from what I've played, want an example of the big issues so far here's what I've come across so far:

- Frame drops
- Pause screen loading up to 8 seconds
- Hitbox issues
- Hit detection issues
- Game Over Screen loading issues (Can take up to 30 seconds)
- Random freezes during play
- Dying causing the game to lock up or start having performance issues
- Save rooms sometimes bugging out

This and I'm early in the game these are serious issues that people who have bought the game can run into right now and affect what otherwise would be an enjoyable game.

Diablo, Dark Souls and Doom, yeah. Name me one of those that had an initial release after the Switch was already out, never mind being out and selling better than every other console. Those had to come later to Switch, it's just how it was.

I never had save room bugs in over 15 hours of game time, and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have hitbox or hit detection issues, although sometimes it can feel that way because of the noticeable input delay. I can understand the loading frustrations, but personally I was never bothered by it outside the library area (it's truly horrendous there) and a couple rooms in the cathedral.

I agree that these things need improving, but the game's been very enjoyable for me even with these issues.

mZuzek said:

Diablo, Dark Souls and Doom, yeah. Name me one of those that had an initial release after the Switch was already out, never mind being out and selling better than every other console. Those had to come later to Switch, it's just how it was.

I never had save room bugs in over 15 hours of game time, and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have hitbox or hit detection issues, although sometimes it can feel that way because of the noticeable input delay. I can understand the loading frustrations, but personally I was never bothered by it outside the library area (it's truly horrendous there) and a couple rooms in the cathedral.

I agree that these things need improving, but the game's been very enjoyable for me even with these issues.

Dark Souls Remaster had a release after the Switch was out and sold well.

Well I've had a few save room issues and had a number of moments of hitbox and hit detection issues especially in the second boss battle where the issue really turned up for business with attacks going through him causing no damage and some of his attacks hitting behind him with one moment where I got hit and wasn't even in range of the sword and no not the aoe attack either. It would be more enjoyable without these issues plus the counter to that is almost any game can be enjoyable when you look pass the flaws it still doesn't excuse them as we're still paying consumers we should expect many of these issues to be ironed out by launched.

I really hope they manage to fix the Switch version, it seems like it's a vastly inferior version in its current state. Also, shame on the review embargo, this stuff should be known ahead of time to allow people to make informed choices.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.