By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloodstained on Switch's first week outsells PS4's and Xbone's combined (UK)

mZuzek said:

They had an embargo up for the other versions too and those turned out fine, everyone loves the game. Hollow Knight was released on Switch well over a year after the original version had come out - you can imagine that'd be suicide for Bloodstained, they'd be missing out on loads of sales because there was plenty of hype over the game and people would've eventually played it somewhere else, they wouldn't bother by the time the Switch version came along. Hollow Knight could get away with this because it was a relatively low-profile game that only started getting some hype after it released and people realized how good it was, and of course, Switch being its first console release helped, too.

I can assure you, most people who bought this game on the Switch barely care about the "big issues" going on. Most people complaining are the ones who haven't bought it in the first place.

No Hollow Knight had a lot of hype when released hence it's hugely successful crowdfunding campaign the true reason Hollow Knight got away with it was because the game was handled well players wanting the Switch version will get that version regardless hence why games like Diablo, Dark Souls and Doom still did fine launcher later so that's hardly an excuse because right now the game needs significant polishing from what I've played, want an example of the big issues so far here's what I've come across so far:

- Frame drops
- Pause screen loading up to 8 seconds
- Hitbox issues
- Hit detection issues
- Game Over Screen loading issues (Can take up to 30 seconds)
- Random freezes during play
- Dying causing the game to lock up or start having performance issues
- Save rooms sometimes bugging out

This and I'm early in the game these are serious issues that people who have bought the game can run into right now and affect what otherwise would be an enjoyable game.

Around the Network

Congrats to switch on the win.

Just wanted to say though, bought this physically for a standard PS4, i'm 30% castle completion and 6-7 hours in, not one single issue yet, and i have to say this...... the game is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.....!!!!!!

That is all.

mZuzek said:

Diablo, Dark Souls and Doom, yeah. Name me one of those that had an initial release after the Switch was already out, never mind being out and selling better than every other console. Those had to come later to Switch, it's just how it was.

I never had save room bugs in over 15 hours of game time, and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have hitbox or hit detection issues, although sometimes it can feel that way because of the noticeable input delay. I can understand the loading frustrations, but personally I was never bothered by it outside the library area (it's truly horrendous there) and a couple rooms in the cathedral.

I agree that these things need improving, but the game's been very enjoyable for me even with these issues.

Dark Souls Remaster had a release after the Switch was out and sold well.

Well I've had a few save room issues and had a number of moments of hitbox and hit detection issues especially in the second boss battle where the issue really turned up for business with attacks going through him causing no damage and some of his attacks hitting behind him with one moment where I got hit and wasn't even in range of the sword and no not the aoe attack either. It would be more enjoyable without these issues plus the counter to that is almost any game can be enjoyable when you look pass the flaws it still doesn't excuse them as we're still paying consumers we should expect many of these issues to be ironed out by launched.

I really hope they manage to fix the Switch version, it seems like it's a vastly inferior version in its current state. Also, shame on the review embargo, this stuff should be known ahead of time to allow people to make informed choices.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Have to say the game looks good and I'll plan on get it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I would say deserved but the port feels lacklustre so not deserved. Honestly, it was expected. Castlevania games are usually seen as Nintendo Classics. With the exception of Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night and Lords of Shadow all the popular Castlevania games were on Nintendo consoles. It doesn't help that Nintendo fans are huge fans of Metroid which what Bloodstained also plays like. Also Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon sold like 56% on Switch despite there being like 6 platforms. This result should not come to a shock to anybody honestly.

Anyway, I got this game over the PC version because portability is king for 2D games such as this. Performance issues be dammed. I rather play anywhere over better performance.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Replicant said:

Congrats to Switch on the impressive feat.

It looks like a fun game. Will try it some time down the road.

curl-6 said:

Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the stats, but what other major countries does it perform worse in? I'm sure there's lots of smaller European countries where its marketshare is worse, but I'm talking countries of significance like Japan, US, UK, Germany, etc.

Of course sales are bigger in the US and Japan but Switch has had a solid performance in the UK for quite some time.

Top markets for Nintendo Switch:
1. NA: 14,010,000 (March 2019)
2. Japan: 8,230,000 (March 2019)
3. France: 2,000,000 (January 2019)
4. UK: 1,400,000 (December 2018) – currently 1,560,000 (VGChartz)
5. Germany: 650,000 (March 2018) – currently 1,260,000 (VGChartz)
6. Spain: 340,000 (January 2018)

Ah, my bad, I got so used to Nintendo numbers in the UK being weak in previous years that the impressions stuck. Thanks.

Makes sense since 2D Castlevania was most popular on Nintendo (with SotN exception). If it was 3D hack and slash or GoW style like Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, or Lords of Shadow, Playstation and Xbox would've sold better.

Shame that the go to console is the worst version. And the review embargo hurt the game imo. Haven't seen near as many people talk about Bloodstained as it deserves (especially considering it's one of the few good high-profile Kickstarter games). The world deserves more games of this genre/caliber since Konami seems content to at best, make rereleases.

mZuzek said:
Wyrdness said:

Well I've had a few save room issues and had a number of moments of hitbox and hit detection issues especially in the second boss battle where the issue really turned up for business with attacks going through him causing no damage and some of his attacks hitting behind him with one moment where I got hit and wasn't even in range of the sword and no not the aoe attack either. It would be more enjoyable without these issues plus the counter to that is almost any game can be enjoyable when you look pass the flaws it still doesn't excuse them as we're still paying consumers we should expect many of these issues to be ironed out by launched.

I'm pretty sure whatever hitbox issues you had are in every version, though, because the code stuff feels very much the same across all platforms. I never had an issue with this.

Darwinianevolution said:
I really hope they manage to fix the Switch version, it seems like it's a vastly inferior version in its current state. Also, shame on the review embargo, this stuff should be known ahead of time to allow people to make informed choices.

Eh, no one's entitled to have reviews before a game launches. No one's forcing people to buy something day 1, if they want to make an informed choice they can wait for information to exist. Personally, I bought the game a day before release and by then it was already known that it wasn't a good port. I was informed, and I didn't care.

No one is forcing people but sometimes there are bonuses that you can only get if you buy on day one or pre-order. It's usually nothing too substantial but gamers don't want to miss out on content, even if they don't ever use it.

Kind of sucks that everyone's buying the gimped version of this game. Makes me wish they put more effort into not making it cheeks.

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.