By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloodstained on Switch's first week outsells PS4's and Xbone's combined (UK)

And that's despite the Switch version having serious technical issues.

https://nintendoeverything.com/uk-mario-maker-2-is-biggest-nintendo-launch-of-the-year-bloodstained-first-week-switch-sales-more-than-ps4-xbox-one-combined/

In light of this, it's especially shameful that they half-arsed the Switch version. 

A patch has been promised to fix the Switch version's problems, so here's hoping they deliver.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 July 2019

Around the Network

But why?

Switch version is 30fps (instead of 60), stutters, has input lag, and lower resolutions / missing effects + textures.

Bloodstained Switch version is by far the worst way to play this game (its not a great port job they did).

JRPGfan said:

But why?

Switch version is 30fps (instead of 60), stutters, has input lag, and lower resolutions / missing effects + textures.

Bloodstained Switch version is by far the worst way to play this game (its not a great port job they did).

Being the superior/inferior version often has little to no bearing on sales.

The atrocious PS3 port of Bayonetta sold more than the vastly better 360 version.

It's kinda impressive that Bloodstained sold better on Switch in its first week than the PS4/Xbone versions, despite the two big factors against the Switch version:
1) A notably downgraded version that needs more polishing from the dev team
2) The Switch having a smaller userbase/percentage of the UK market compared to its contemporaries

Do you think it might have been helped by release of Super Mario Maker 2, which likely moved some units? Then again, SMM2 could have also affected Bloodstained as they are both platformers (albeit, completely different in concepts)...

twintail said:
curl-6 said:

And that's in one of Nintendo's worst significant markets, .

Switch has been doing well in the UK for quite some time already.

No reason for the hyperbole

Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the stats, but what other major countries does it perform worse in? I'm sure there's lots of smaller European countries where its marketshare is worse, but I'm talking countries of significance like Japan, US, UK, Germany, etc.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

But why?

Because it's a great game for a mobile platform and most people who have Nintendo as their main platform don't give two shits about visual fidelity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Congrats to Switch on the impressive feat.

It looks like a fun game. Will try it some time down the road.

curl-6 said:
twintail said:

Switch has been doing well in the UK for quite some time already.

No reason for the hyperbole

Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the stats, but what other major countries does it perform worse in? I'm sure there's lots of smaller European countries where its marketshare is worse, but I'm talking countries of significance like Japan, US, UK, Germany, etc.

Of course sales are bigger in the US and Japan but Switch has had a solid performance in the UK for quite some time.

Top markets for Nintendo Switch:
1. NA: 14,010,000 (March 2019)
2. Japan: 8,230,000 (March 2019)
3. France: 2,000,000 (January 2019)
4. UK: 1,400,000 (December 2018) – currently 1,560,000 (VGChartz)
5. Germany: 650,000 (March 2018) – currently 1,260,000 (VGChartz)
6. Spain: 340,000 (January 2018)

Last edited by Replicant - on 01 July 2019

JRPGfan said:

But why?

If that case holds up than might aswell buy it on PC which offers a superior game and features

So question based on this thread. Do Crowdfunded sales count in stats like these? I mean many people would have already bought the game and asked for it on their prefered platform. When this game was first Crowdfunded, the Switch wasn't even out and the option for your copy to be on Switch wasn't available at the time.

SO... the high sales for Switch version is because many of those who pledged got their copies on other platforms already and don't count in sales.

Still wouldn't expect it to outsell both of them so that's great but just a thought.

Hmm, pie.

As expected, these more retro games will always do better on Switch than other consoles. (Stardew valley, Shovel Knight etc). Just as pretty much every AAA western game will do better on the others. That's just what the players on those systems want.