By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft issue Joint Statement on potential tariffs on China

KManX89 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Yeah, like it's just that easy. Snap of the finger and suddenly the big 3 can start manufacturing in the U.S. when all their infrastructure is in China -_- 

IKR? Imagine believing this.

And imagine believing the tariffs have ANYTHING to do with working conditions in China.

I hope this kills Donnie Dumb Dumb's reelection bid. Whoever the Democratic nominee is needs to run this shit home in ads.

You know you don't have a leg to walk on when the companies affected by China's IP theft are saying they'd rather have their patents copied and every single economist says it's a bad idea.

Yes sure they prefer their IP being robbed, next week they will go to the office and free all their patents for global use.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Here is the issue:

1) no country plays fair. It's not like other countries won't have under paid workers and horrible working conditions. Some of these countries are committing genocide as we speak and also lack true democracy.

2) it's not just about video games. It is phones, video games console, games, pretty much most electronics. It is important to care about your country, but essentially, everyone is America is going to feel the pinch when the cost of most their electronics go up.

3) whether China is democratic or not bares little to no importance considering most countries, democratic or not have dirty secrets, sullied pasts. America still has issues with ethnic minorities. Black people are still suffering, America is still make deals with barbarians such as the Saudi family and spending billions every year on Israel and the war in the middle East.

There is no right or wrong and the trade war is more about what trump and a few rich people at the top can get out of it than the people of the country.

Of people were really genuine about slave labour etc and how the Chinese operate, they would have boycott Chinese products long before this trade war.

Last but not least, if this goes ahead, then there is the question of how much the revenue will drop in the states from the drop in sales of Chinese electrics and other products and if this drop in revenue will outweigh the profits from the higher taxes.

How much money will be lost via grey markets and will neighbouring countries pick up these profits instead.

Tulipanzo said:
Just another reminder that voting for Trump means hurting everyone, including yourself.

Enjoy more expensive and weaker consoles!

Are you suggesting we vote for the other party that wants to spend trillions on soical justice programs?

So open the borders and give everyone who enters health care. But hopefully that will be after we forgive over a trillion in college debt to our educated elite.

Are you hobestly assessing both parties? At best the dems are making big promises they dont actually plan on pursuing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DonFerrari said:
KManX89 said:

IKR? Imagine believing this.

And imagine believing the tariffs have ANYTHING to do with working conditions in China.

I hope this kills Donnie Dumb Dumb's reelection bid. Whoever the Democratic nominee is needs to run this shit home in ads.

You know you don't have a leg to walk on when the companies affected by China's IP theft are saying they'd rather have their patents copied and every single economist says it's a bad idea.

Yes sure they prefer their IP being robbed, next week they will go to the office and free all their patents for global use.

Seeing how they're actively telling Trump not to pursue the tariffs (as is every single economist), yeah, clearly they do prefer it.  

KManX89 said:
DonFerrari said:

Seeing how they're actively telling Trump not to pursue the tariffs (as is every single economist), yeah, clearly they do prefer it.  

So it's suposition. For most companies IP is the most important advantage, they certainly would have more success finding a cheap place that respects IPs than to have every company in the world able to copy them.

The funny thing about every single economist (besides being able to find at least one that wouldn't agree) is also that we had "every single jornalist" saying how Trump would doom america and cause 3rd WW, etc. Didn't happen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

So it's suposition. For most companies IP is the most important advantage, they certainly would have more success finding a cheap place that respects IPs than to have every company in the world able to copy them.

The funny thing about every single economist (besides being able to find at least one that wouldn't agree) is also that we had "every single jornalist" saying how Trump would doom america and cause 3rd WW, etc. Didn't happen.

You should ask yourself why American companies have chosen China for production and stuck with them for so long despite the risk of getting their knowledge copied. It's because low production costs are more important to them than anything else, so naturally they are against tariffs because that undermines their entire system of producing cheap in China and being able to have good prices in the USA. If tariffs were introduced, they would have to rise the prices of their products to make customers pay for the difference, because they wouldn't eat the costs themselves.

As for World War III, there were more talks about Hillary Clinton being able to cause it, because she was outspoken against Russia whereas Trump wanted to be BFF with Putin.

There are other cheap places to manufacture electronics, and if they didn't value their IP secrets they wouldn't have patents and protections, sue other companies and whatnot.

Perhaps we receive different news but every one I saw were saying he would trigger it, even more during the threats to NK.

They are likely just to shift manufacturing to Taiwan rather than the US like what some other manufacturers are doing to get around the Tariffs...

It will be interesting to see if the Americans pay more for a console than us Australians though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

There are other cheap places to manufacture electronics, and if they didn't value their IP secrets they wouldn't have patents and protections, sue other companies and whatnot.

Perhaps we receive different news but every one I saw were saying he would trigger it, even more during the threats to NK.

Those other places aren't as cheap as China apparently, hence why companies take the risk. None of this means that companies don't care about their IPs, what it means is that they put low production costs over IP protection. This isn't an all or nothing, it's a matter of priorities.

You perceive situations different to the majority in lots of situations, so I don't expect it to be any different in this case. In this thread there was already the news posted that Trump agreed to a ceasefire with China in the trade war due to experts warning him about further damage to the global economy. Still, you didn't want to believe that economists are outspoken against the trade war with China.

So you are going to say that it was just me that saw most newspapers putting Trump as "the biggest threat to democracy in USA ever"?

I'm pretty sure they do a risk analysis and decide that the benefit of low cost was higher than the risk of having products copied. But the way that was originally put was like they would rather lose all their IPs than to have higher costs.

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

You should ask yourself why American companies have chosen China for production and stuck with them for so long despite the risk of getting their knowledge copied. It's because low production costs are more important to them than anything else, so naturally they are against tariffs because that undermines their entire system of producing cheap in China and being able to have good prices in the USA. If tariffs were introduced, they would have to rise the prices of their products to make customers pay for the difference, because they wouldn't eat the costs themselves.

As for World War III, there were more talks about Hillary Clinton being able to cause it, because she was outspoken against Russia whereas Trump wanted to be BFF with Putin.

gamingsoul said:
fatslob-:O said:

Shouldn't just solely trust India or Vietnam either since the former is bound to be influential and the latter is a command economy but since each of them only has half the things that make China a threat I guess it just only makes them half of as bad ... 

Should also open production in Indonesia, Philippines but in general we should just target smaller South East Asian countries like Thailand, Myanmar, or Malaysia so that it would be as hard as possible for them to reverse engineer technology ... 

I have a feeling that either India or Vietnam could potentially become bitter enemies in a technological war ... 

Yes agree, some countries might be humble now, but as soon as they become powerful things might change.

but the whole idea is to find trade parents that play fair, because China clearly doesn’t.

Why does every country needs to be humble to the US?

Europe has been too humble in it's trade relations with the US as it should have had stronger trade agreements with the east,like with steel transport and production because that economy is suffering partly because of the"trade wars".