By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft issue Joint Statement on potential tariffs on China

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

And since when does those countries in Oceania, Asia and Africa configurate as developed western nations?

Also shifting goalpost to emergencies.

That isn't universal healthcare available to illegals as you were claiming originally.

If they were part of the British Empire which covered almost a quarter of the land area of earth at it's peak... And is a developed nation. (I.E. New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and so on) then it can be regarded as a western nation.

Well. Even here we need to "pay" for some health services, it's still a universal system, often the payments get deferred/bulk billed and the Government picks up the tab unless you exceed a high tax threshold.

That table doesn't really demonstrate if similar schemes are in-place... But considering that the Australian system is built upon the foundations of the European system, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

New Zealand a developed Nation is pushing a little, but South Africa certainly can't be considered developed nation just to skew the number in your favor.

That isn't an universal healthcare, sorry. As bad as it is, universal healthcare is what we have in Brazil. All threatments are available at the public hospital if you are willing to wait perhaps until your death, and the government won't pay (unless some odd cases like a lawsuit demanding it or some partnership) for your use of a private hospital.

Right now the government is even demanding that health insurance reimburse the government when someone (that is already paying taxes, plus the health insurance also pay taxes) that have a plan use a public hospital.

If you have to pay later it isn't free universal healthcare. For emergency even USA when the person is broke will be demanded to attend, and then later will try to recover the money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The concept of universal healthcare is nice, its just paying for it thing people won't like. We're gonna need a massive tax hike and that is going to push many millions of people out of private healthcare.

Again, what the democrats are proposing is far more ambitious and generous than what other countries provide. Especially if we have a massive number of people entering legally or otherwise.

I've gotten to a point I actually wish democrats were actually honest about what Europe or Canada actually provide, be honest who is affected by the taxes (spoiler: not just the rich) and of course admit other countries aren't as generous as democrats want to be. I also don't believe the other western countries have the same number of illegals coming in either. I assure you the democrats in the US do not want to just emulate other countries, that isn't ambitious or irresponsible enough.

The irony is... The Universal Health Care systems like the Australian model have proven to be more efficient than the American model whilst providing a higher quality of service.... And all for a lower cost. That's right... It's cheaper.

So if anything, it should result in reduced taxes due to less overheads.

I just don't know why there is such an endless debate to healthcare in the USA, feels like it's been going on for decades?

DonFerrari said:

https://fra.europa.eu/en/theme/asylum-migration-borders/healthcare-entitlements

Doesn't seem like most developed western nations offer free healthcare for immigrants.

The bulk of them in the list does though? For emergencies.
Either-way, Western-Nations are a bigger pool of countries than just what is located in Europe...

Got a few hills in Oceania and Asia as well as Africa that are regarded as "western".

You gave me the response I love responding to and also allows me to clarify something.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to universal healthcare per se. Our government has demonstrated in almost everything it does that its incredibly inefficient. So why do we keep feeding it more money without improving?

Again, our government provides healthcare for more than a 100 million people and it still sucks and negotiating better prices. Thats more people than most countries have people!

Hence, most countries seem to do everything cheaper than the US. Dont just cherry pick healthcare.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

the-pi-guy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You gave me the response I love responding to and also allows me to clarify something.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to universal healthcare per se. Our government has demonstrated in almost everything it does that its incredibly inefficient. So why do we keep feeding it more money without improving?

Again, our government provides healthcare for more than a 100 million people and it still sucks and negotiating better prices. Thats more people than most countries have people!

Hence, most countries seem to do everything cheaper than the US. Dont just cherry pick healthcare.

Hospitals get less money from medicare than they do from private insurance.  So that is actually incorrect.  Medicaid brings even less.  

Just because Medicare is big, doesn't mean it can negotiate prices.  For one example there's literally a law that says Medicare can't negotiate on drug prices.  

Government funded coverage may pay less than private, but still a lot considering they cover a massive chunk of the population.

Frankly, there is a lot of things government could tweak before jumping head first into a universal plan that strips away options.

I'm sure healthcare providers could be forced accept less from medicare. That would happen regardless under a universal plan.

As far as drugs, more competition in the drug market also reduces prices so it becomes an issue with the FDA. Hence, we dont need a universal plan to make changes.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

the-pi-guy said:

Mr Puggsly said:

I suppose it becomes a debate on how many billions of dollars is massive support for illegals.

For context, the cost of the wall is pennies for the government.  Even the most extreme estimates for illegal immigration by right wing groups is pennies more than the wall. 

There is no possible future in any nearby century, where the US comes crashing down due to the cost of illegals.   

Mr Puggsly said:

In practice sanctuary are more like cities illegals simply dwell in and may even get benefits, even if they commit crimes. I dont understand this myth that police kick out every illegal they see. If thats the case then theyre doing a terrible job.

Seeing how ICE has literally arrested and jailed a US citizen,

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/us/ice-detains-woman-california.html

I would say they are clearly doing a terrible job.

Mr Puggsly said:

Politically Im where center used to be. Your arguments have always been left of that. Dems right now are in the far left. Republicans have found themselves more to the center, unless its a very conservative state. I dont agree with all republican views but I find myself siding with them more just for being closer to the center.

I will agree I am definitely left.  

The current Democratic party is center left.  Which certainly feels far left, considering the US has not had a major left wing political party in decades.  

Republicans have not moved to center.  Take for example healthcare:

During the 90's, Obamacare would have been the Republican bill.  

https://healthcarereform.procon.org/sourcefiles/1989_assuring_affordable_health_care_for_all_americans.pdf

Suddenly in 2009, it's a left wing bill.  How do you think that happened?

Mr Puggsly said:

What if the middle class cant afford the tax hikes along with a private healthcare premium? Dems dont want to admit that will happen with their plans. Democrats want options, high taxes reduce options so the politicians lie.

The whole point is to have the tax replace current healthcare costs.  If you take current healthcare costs into consideration as a "tax", it will effectively be a tax reduction.  Even right wingers have estimated hundreds of billions in savings.  

Mr Puggsly said:

In the grand scheme of our spending on the wall is a drop in the bucket. Many more billions go to dealing with illegals. The wall works but not on its own and frankly has become symbolic. Simply throwing illegals out would actually kill demand for a wall.

We have been throwing out illegals.  During the Obama era, over a million illegals were deported yearly.

Even if the wall were to work 100%, it wouldn't fix the immigration problem.  Around half of all illegal immigrants who come here, don't come over the southern border.

Mr Puggsly said:

I did a quick searxh on Mexico's welfare in general, its pathetic and I dont see universal healthcare.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/mexico-universal-health/

Mr Puggsly said:

High taxes arent something the dems can run on. They are trying to convince people it will be paid by the rich. Its a lie and many of the illegals wont be able to pay much tax and provide for themselves entirely. They arent exactly highly educated.

No one wants high taxes.  

Mr Puggsly said:

We dont know how many illegals are actually in the country, now count is really done for ideological teasons. Estimates vary from 10 to 20 million. Some estimates believe 100K enter monthly. Another $4 billion just went to providing additional care for illegals coming. The whole thing is a mess, thats reality. What has declined is people coming from Mexico while people from other countries has increased.

The 20 million estimate doesn't hold up.

https://cis.org/Camarota/New-Estimate-22-Million-Illegal-Immigrants-Not-Plausible

Mr Puggsly said:

Indeed, a lot of resources does go to the elderly and rightfully so. Perhaps we arent collecting enough taxes to simply take care of that, perhaps people retire too early and maybe the government is doing a terrible job negotiating healthcare costs (because they suck with money). Essentially we have a government doing a terrible job balancing our current budget yet want to spend significantly more with new social programs. You're actually helping my argument.

>Essentially we have a government doing a terrible job balancing our current budget yet want to spend significantly more with new social programs.

Largely because not everyone wants the same thing.  No one wants higher taxes.  But both sides are happy to spend more money.  Republicans are happy to spend an extra $100 billion on the military.  Democrats want to spend an extra $100 billion on schooling, but no that's irresponsible.  Democrats at least understand that we need taxes to pay for things.  

Mr Puggsly said:

I've argued if our government can't find a way to provide reasonably priced healthcare for 100+ million of whatever number they provide for. What good can we expect from another 150 million they hope to take from private providers?

Medicare does fine.  It could be better, but the same is true for private insurance.  

Due to administration, (private and public), hospitals would go under if they only charged at Medicare costs.  

But a big reason for medicare for all would be to reduce administration costs.

Mr Puggsly said:

Well this is something we agree on.

But why is this such a problem in liberal cities and evidently states.

Im confused why people leaving blue states dont just change cities. But the fact they change states entirely shows the states in general are a mess.

Just because an area votes Democratic, doesn't mean they are liberal.  And it certainly doesn't mean they are liberal in every position.  

Liberal ideas in general are far more expensive than bringing in illegals alone. My only concern isnt the illegals.

Im sure ICE and every agency makes mistakes. Most illegals are good people, but some stab innocent people to death. Shit happens. Cherry picking stories is not something Im looking to do.

I would say democrats are simply pushing left to extreme left ideas right now. Some are certainly staying center left in practice, but they are pandering just left to oppose Trump. Any center ideas Trump has is suddenly too extreme.

Again, personally I dont think making tweaks to healthcare is an inherently a bad idea. Does that mean I think Obamacare was a good idea? Most say no, even dems dont like it.

A vast majority of the democratic presidential candidates are telling people they dont want to take away private healthcare. Youre suggesting the whole point is to tax people off of private healthcare as an option. I wish they were as honest as you so it would be clear.

I agree the wall on its own wont solve the problem. I also said its partly symbolic and desired because the problems with illegals.

Did some searching on Mexico's "universal healthcare." Frankly, if that counts than the US has already achieved it. People dont talk about it because its a mess. Also, people attempting to come over have been known to have health problems as well. So as of right now Mexico's universal health system is smoke and mirrors but kudos on the effort I guess.

Indeed, nobody wants high taxes which is why dems are just focusing on the rich being taxed. In reality and you admit taxes will go up on everybody significantly.

Im simply pointing out there is no real count of the illegal population and I highly doubt the low estimates are accurate. On a side note, California doesent seem to release abortion numbers. Personally I feel all this information should be tracked and shared with the public. But it doesent happen because it might hurt left leaning ideologies.

Democrats actually supported the military spending increase which is why it happened easily. Both sides also have people that want to attack Iran.  We already spend more money on education than almost every other country. This just becomes another example of inefficient spending. Also, spending doesent make kids smarter but it does put money in the pockets of staff.

Medicare apparently still pays a lot more than other countries for the same procedures and drugs. Hence, make so some tweaks and force them do it for less. As would a universal system.  Maybe regulations need to change if they could go under.

If they arent liberal they should stop letting democrats ruin their cities and states. Again, theyre objectively chasing people out. Major cities can continue growing fast when run properly, not chasing people to more conserative cities/states.

Recently Completed

And it's not just the consoles, the sanctions on Huawei could also be a source of retaliation (especially since everyone knows about PRISM) from chinese on the GAFAM, who depend a lot on China and their economical alliances.
This could disturb the tech world enough to bust the bubble and throw it in disarray for years to come.