By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft issue Joint Statement on potential tariffs on China

DonFerrari said:

So you are going to say that it was just me that saw most newspapers putting Trump as "the biggest threat to democracy in USA ever"?

I'm pretty sure they do a risk analysis and decide that the benefit of low cost was higher than the risk of having products copied. But the way that was originally put was like they would rather lose all their IPs than to have higher costs.

You are backpedaling from "every single journalist" to "most newspapers", so you've recognized your hyperbole already. The comparison you drew doesn't work because journalists didn't have close to as much of a consensus as economists.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

You should ask yourself why American companies have chosen China for production and stuck with them for so long despite the risk of getting their knowledge copied. It's because low production costs are more important to them than anything else, so naturally they are against tariffs because that undermines their entire system of producing cheap in China and being able to have good prices in the USA. If tariffs were introduced, they would have to rise the prices of their products to make customers pay for the difference, because they wouldn't eat the costs themselves.

As for World War III, there were more talks about Hillary Clinton being able to cause it, because she was outspoken against Russia whereas Trump wanted to be BFF with Putin.

There are other cheap places to manufacture electronics, and if they didn't value their IP secrets they wouldn't have patents and protections, sue other companies and whatnot.

Perhaps we receive different news but every one I saw were saying he would trigger it, even more during the threats to NK.

gamingsoul said:
fatslob-:O said:

Shouldn't just solely trust India or Vietnam either since the former is bound to be influential and the latter is a command economy but since each of them only has half the things that make China a threat I guess it just only makes them half of as bad ... 

Should also open production in Indonesia, Philippines but in general we should just target smaller South East Asian countries like Thailand, Myanmar, or Malaysia so that it would be as hard as possible for them to reverse engineer technology ... 

I have a feeling that either India or Vietnam could potentially become bitter enemies in a technological war ... 

Yes agree, some countries might be humble now, but as soon as they become powerful things might change.

but the whole idea is to find trade parents that play fair, because China clearly doesn’t.

Why does every country needs to be humble to the US?

Europe has been too humble in it's trade relations with the US as it should have had stronger trade agreements with the east,like with steel transport and production because that economy is suffering partly because of the"trade wars".

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

So you are going to say that it was just me that saw most newspapers putting Trump as "the biggest threat to democracy in USA ever"?

I'm pretty sure they do a risk analysis and decide that the benefit of low cost was higher than the risk of having products copied. But the way that was originally put was like they would rather lose all their IPs than to have higher costs.

You are backpedaling from "every single journalist" to "most newspapers", so you've recognized your hyperbole already. The comparison you drew doesn't work because journalists didn't have close to as much of a consensus as economists.

Of course "every single journalist" is a hyperbole, Fox for example wouldn't be so much against trump as CNN.

But I don't see you attacking the generalization of every economist. Strange that isn't it?

And also have you accepted that most newspapers did put Trump as a menace? Much higher menace than Hillary as well?

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

There are other cheap places to manufacture electronics, and if they didn't value their IP secrets they wouldn't have patents and protections, sue other companies and whatnot.

Perhaps we receive different news but every one I saw were saying he would trigger it, even more during the threats to NK.

Seems like a very bad thing for USA =p

I dislike taxes a lot, but because of the very high import taxes (that make brazilians pay more for iphones and playstations than anywhere else in the world) Foxconn have manufacturing here for iPhone and Sony+MS for PS4 and X1.

Companies will all look for the cheapest place, but if the tax is applied to all that come to China then "all companies" would leave there for a different place. Prices would rise, but they wouldn't lose competion advantage because all would be affeted.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

Of course "every single journalist" is a hyperbole, Fox for example wouldn't be so much against trump as CNN.

But I don't see you attacking the generalization of every economist. Strange that isn't it?

And also have you accepted that most newspapers did put Trump as a menace? Much higher menace than Hillary as well?

I don't attack the comments about economists because they aren't wrong. You've had plenty of time to provide evidence to the contrary (that there are economists who consider a trade war with China a good idea), but you have not done so.

I never disagreed to begin with that most news outlets considered Trump the bigger evil between him and Clinton. Your hyperbole was the issue.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't attack the comments about economists because they aren't wrong. You've had plenty of time to provide evidence to the contrary (that there are economists who consider a trade war with China a good idea), but you have not done so.

I never disagreed to begin with that most news outlets considered Trump the bigger evil between him and Clinton. Your hyperbole was the issue.

So your problem is with the hyperbole, but only one of them. Ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

Only one of the two statements was hyperbole and that was yours. I have yet to see an economist who considers it a good idea for the USA to engage in one trade war after another.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Only one of the two statements was hyperbole and that was yours. I have yet to see an economist who considers it a good idea for the USA to engage in one trade war after another.

many do, you just have to look outside of cnn

Tariffs are always bad. I saw remove the tarofs from China but China also had to remove the tarifs they got on the US. Should go both ways.

While I disaprove of the slave labor they are using its up to them to reside what's acceptable in their own nations.

China should respect the intellectual properties of private industries. If they keep making things hard and basicly stealing others hard work eventually others will see it difficult to make business with them for fear of losing ownership of their IPs and then China droping prices to half.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Tariffs are always bad. I saw remove the tarofs from China but China also had to remove the tarifs they got on the US. Should go both ways.

While I disaprove of the slave labor they are using its up to them to reside what's acceptable in their own nations.

China should respect the intellectual properties of private industries. If they keep making things hard and basicly stealing others hard work eventually others will see it difficult to make business with them for fear of losing ownership of their IPs and then China droping prices to half.

That is something that has already have been improved and will only get better,also they did/do a lot of "slave labor" for products of western owned companies so what do we as consumers want to buy at a cost that is fair for everyone involved with the product? It is conflicting.