By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls is overrated, it simply isn't fun

Farsala said:
I wasn't much of a fan of Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 2 was even worse. Dark Souls 3 was truly very fun, and Bloodborne was alright. So some people like them all, some people only like 1 or 2 entries. At the very least I would try Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, because they have a very different atmosphere to Dark Souls.

Happy to find another DeS>DS guy. I think we’re pretty rare :P

@OP: Dark Souls is a polarizing game, so it’s totally normal to think poorly of it. Personally, I love the risk-and-reward combat, the interconnected level design, the thick atmosphere, and the figure-it-out-for-yourself gameplay. 

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Farsala said:
I wasn't much of a fan of Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 2 was even worse. Dark Souls 3 was truly very fun, and Bloodborne was alright. So some people like them all, some people only like 1 or 2 entries. At the very least I would try Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, because they have a very different atmosphere to Dark Souls.

Happy to find another DeS>DS guy. I think we’re pretty rare :P

After playing a bit Dark Souls, I still prefer Demons Souls. But I cannot point to one single thing, maybe it is just first exposure or so.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I disagree but to each their own I guess.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Veknoid_Outcast said: 

@OP: Dark Souls is a polarizing game, so it’s totally normal to think poorly of it. Personally, I love the risk-and-reward combat, the interconnected level design, the thick atmosphere, and the figure-it-out-for-yourself gameplay. 

I know it’s polarizing, but what I’ve read it mostly comes down to the difficulty/unforgiving nature of the game. And that is something I have no problem with. 

It’s just that, as I said, I just find the game tedious. 

You stating that is the equivalent of the following scenario: 100 people with the exact same disease are administered the same drug. 95 of them are healed of said disease. There was no noticeable change in the other 5, therefore it's stated the drug doesn't work.

Around the Network

I could never get into the games. Tried n just dont understand the hype. And it wasn't near as difficult as some made it out to be imo

I can understand the success of the Souls games, but they don't really appeal to me, either.
The story in the games is not communicated very well, it just flies over my head and remains something very aloof and distant and even incoherent. I know there is extensive lore somewhere in the background, but the story simply doesn't come through in a meaningful way. In practice, it all just boils down to "hack monsters because bad monsters". I guess the souls games aren't really about storytelling anyways, but that would be very important to me personally.
The other thing that bothers me is that the world building and immersion suffers because of all the repetition. Not very much changes in the world due to your actions and beating monsters. The standard baddies simply respawn and you have to kill them over and over to get around and for me it grows boring and pointless, there's no real sense of achievement or progress even though the bosses stay dead and my character levels up. Interactions with NPC's are very limited, also. I like games where the whole world evolves according to my actions and baddies that I have killed don't magically reappear.
But that's just me. You go ahead and enjoy.

this is one of the most pathetic threads ive ever witnessed. a guy does not like a game and points out various reasons why he does not feel it is a game deserving of all the praise it has received, and in response people just respond with "stop it! youre wrong! just because you dont like it doesnt mean its a bad game. its a great game that a lot of people love. stop having a negative opinion and praise the game even though you dont like it!" and sure they dress it up and try to act formal but thats basically all i cant find that refutes the OP.

heres my stance. i have never played a Souls game so i cant judge it based on substance. but from a 'outside looking in' perspective, the game is more than flawed. i dont see the point of having a game so outrageously difficult that it could take dozens of tries to get past a single area. that does not sound fun, that sounds like the equivalent of being told "you suck" repeatedly until you either give up or finally win and get no reward. the fanbase is a cult following more than anything else, and thats fine. you are allowed to enjoy anything you want, but it does not mean this game is a masterpiece. more often than not people just know it as meme in the vein of "this game is the dark souls of X"

I disagree.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

I don't like Dark Souls either. The extremely slow animations drive me up the wall.

Yes, I like difficulty. Super Ghost and Goblins was one of my favorites from the SNES and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was one of my favorites on the Wii U.

So, it isn't because it is difficult. I just cannot take the slow animations.