Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls is overrated, it simply isn't fun

I beat DS3 once and had fun. Replayed it and I was bored.



Around the Network
Victorlink87 said:
I don't like Dark Souls either. The extremely slow animations drive me up the wall.

Yes, I like difficulty. Super Ghost and Goblins was one of my favorites from the SNES and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was one of my favorites on the Wii U.

So, it isn't because it is difficult. I just cannot take the slow animations.

Dark Souls does have extensive animations, but MH3U even more so. The slow, methodical combat is why most fans of Monster Hunter also like Dark Souls, and vice versa.



Chrizum said:
Victorlink87 said:
I don't like Dark Souls either. The extremely slow animations drive me up the wall.

Yes, I like difficulty. Super Ghost and Goblins was one of my favorites from the SNES and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was one of my favorites on the Wii U.

So, it isn't because it is difficult. I just cannot take the slow animations.

Dark Souls does have extensive animations, but MH3U even more so. The slow, methodical combat is why most fans of Monster Hunter also like Dark Souls, and vice versa.

I may have missed something then. In MH3U when I pressed attack or dodge it definitely happened quicker. (Not input lag, but animation)

For instance, if I saw a Lagi gesture its head a certain way I would dodge out of the way. In Dark Souls I seemed to need to know what the enemy would do before any real signal was given. I hope that helps. Then again, I could have missed something. I may plug it back in.



Never even bothered to give it a shot because it doesn't look fun or good at all.



Fun isn't the reason you play Dark Souls in the same way it isn't the reason you play TLOU. 'Fun' us such a simplistic, two dimensional concept in regards to an actual 'experience'.



 

The PS5 Exists. 


Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Fun isn't the reason you play Dark Souls in the same way it isn't the reason you play TLOU. 'Fun' us such a simplistic, two dimensional concept in regards to an actual 'experience'.

I never thought I’d ever see someone find a way to downplay fun.



Veknoid_Outcast said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Fun isn't the reason you play Dark Souls in the same way it isn't the reason you play TLOU. 'Fun' us such a simplistic, two dimensional concept in regards to an actual 'experience'.

I never thought I’d ever see someone find a way to downplay fun.

It's true, though. Certain games aren't meant to be "fun", in the same way that certain movies, for example horror films, aren't meant to be either. Movies, games, books or whatever else, can entertain us in several different ways, and that can often mean not fun.

As for Dark Souls, well... I'm no fan, either. I tried getting into it twice, and I hated it. I hated the difficulty, yes, but specifically my biggest issue wasn't with the trial-and-error nature of it, but rather with how extremely punishing the game is. You often lose up to 20 minutes of progress each time you die, and on top of that you also lose all the experience you got, which you can only recover by making it back to where you died - which is one reason to make you more eager to "just get through" the backtracking, on top of also wanting to do it asap because you don't wanna waste a lot of time replaying stuff you already did, and well, ultimately it leads to you dying again and losing even more progress. It's a completely toxic gameplay loop. I stopped playing at the (apparently infamous) dragon bridge, because that was the point where I died twice in a row to things I couldn't avoid without prior knowledge, and lost far too much progress for me to bother investing again in a game I was simply not enjoying in any way (and this was my second time playing it, the first time I quit even earlier).

I very much dislike all the culture that's been created around this game, the "IT'S HARD" thing, because it is hard in all the wrong ways, and actively wants the player to quit playing. Well guess what, I did quit. It's the modern day equivalent of oldschool games giving you a "game over" and sending you back to the beginning, it's just bullshit. I love me some hard games, and have beaten my fair share of them, but I can only appreciate difficulty if it's well made, and Dark Souls' wasn't.



mZuzek said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I never thought I’d ever see someone find a way to downplay fun.

It's true, though. Certain games aren't meant to be "fun", in the same way that certain movies, for example horror films, aren't meant to be either. Movies, games, books or whatever else, can entertain us in several different ways, and that can often mean not fun.

As for Dark Souls, well... I'm no fan, either. I tried getting into it twice, and I hated it. I hated the difficulty, yes, but specifically my biggest issue wasn't with the trial-and-error nature of it, but rather with how extremely punishing the game is. You often lose up to 20 minutes of progress each time you die, and on top of that you also lose all the experience you got, which you can only recover by making it back to where you died - which is one reason to make you more eager to "just get through" the backtracking, on top of also wanting to do it asap because you don't wanna waste a lot of time replaying stuff you already did, and well, ultimately it leads to you dying again and losing even more progress. It's a completely toxic gameplay loop. I stopped playing at the (apparently infamous) dragon bridge, because that was the point where I died twice in a row to things I couldn't avoid without prior knowledge, and lost far too much progress for me to bother investing again in a game I was simply not enjoying in any way (and this was my second time playing it, the first time I quit even earlier).

I very much dislike all the culture that's been created around this game, the "IT'S HARD" thing, because it is hard in all the wrong ways, and actively wants the player to quit playing. Well guess what, I did quit. It's the modern day equivalent of oldschool games giving you a "game over" and sending you back to the beginning, it's just bullshit. I love me some hard games, and have beaten my fair share of them, but I can only appreciate difficulty if it's well made, and Dark Souls' wasn't.

Dark Souls difficulty is very well made, in fact I would say they have the best difficulty "setting" of any game out there. The whole game revolves around dying and becoming more and more hollow is actually part of the lore, dying is part of the experience. The problem is that you are looking at dying like you do in other games, as a time waste, unfair, a failure. When you should be looking at it as a learning experience and something that is supposed to happen several times throughout the game.

Did you really think you could beat any of the Souls games with 0 deaths? You were being delusional, dying is part of the game, not dying in a souls game is like spiderman not being able to websling in a spiderman's game. I died hundreds of times on my first demon souls run and it was a crazy and amazing experience.



omarct said:
mZuzek said:

It's true, though. Certain games aren't meant to be "fun", in the same way that certain movies, for example horror films, aren't meant to be either. Movies, games, books or whatever else, can entertain us in several different ways, and that can often mean not fun.

As for Dark Souls, well... I'm no fan, either. I tried getting into it twice, and I hated it. I hated the difficulty, yes, but specifically my biggest issue wasn't with the trial-and-error nature of it, but rather with how extremely punishing the game is. You often lose up to 20 minutes of progress each time you die, and on top of that you also lose all the experience you got, which you can only recover by making it back to where you died - which is one reason to make you more eager to "just get through" the backtracking, on top of also wanting to do it asap because you don't wanna waste a lot of time replaying stuff you already did, and well, ultimately it leads to you dying again and losing even more progress. It's a completely toxic gameplay loop. I stopped playing at the (apparently infamous) dragon bridge, because that was the point where I died twice in a row to things I couldn't avoid without prior knowledge, and lost far too much progress for me to bother investing again in a game I was simply not enjoying in any way (and this was my second time playing it, the first time I quit even earlier).

I very much dislike all the culture that's been created around this game, the "IT'S HARD" thing, because it is hard in all the wrong ways, and actively wants the player to quit playing. Well guess what, I did quit. It's the modern day equivalent of oldschool games giving you a "game over" and sending you back to the beginning, it's just bullshit. I love me some hard games, and have beaten my fair share of them, but I can only appreciate difficulty if it's well made, and Dark Souls' wasn't.

Dark Souls difficulty is very well made, in fact I would say they have the best difficulty "setting" of any game out there. The whole game revolves around dying and becoming more and more hollow is actually part of the lore, dying is part of the experience. The problem is that you are looking at dying like you do in other games, as a time waste, unfair, a failure. When you should be looking at it as a learning experience and something that is supposed to happen several times throughout the game.

Did you really think you could beat any of the Souls games with 0 deaths? You were being delusional, dying is part of the game, not dying in a souls game is like spiderman not being able to websling in a spiderman's game. I died hundreds of times on my first demon souls run and it was a crazy and amazing experience.

Right, thanks for saying the same crap every Dark Soul fan ever has told me a couple billion times.

I'll stick to better games, thank you. If you want an example of a game doing the Dark Souls dying thing right, look at Hollow Knight. Later.



mZuzek said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I never thought I’d ever see someone find a way to downplay fun.

It's true, though. Certain games aren't meant to be "fun", in the same way that certain movies, for example horror films, aren't meant to be either. Movies, games, books or whatever else, can entertain us in several different ways, and that can often mean not fun.

As for Dark Souls, well... I'm no fan, either. I tried getting into it twice, and I hated it. I hated the difficulty, yes, but specifically my biggest issue wasn't with the trial-and-error nature of it, but rather with how extremely punishing the game is. You often lose up to 20 minutes of progress each time you die, and on top of that you also lose all the experience you got, which you can only recover by making it back to where you died - which is one reason to make you more eager to "just get through" the backtracking, on top of also wanting to do it asap because you don't wanna waste a lot of time replaying stuff you already did, and well, ultimately it leads to you dying again and losing even more progress. It's a completely toxic gameplay loop. I stopped playing at the (apparently infamous) dragon bridge, because that was the point where I died twice in a row to things I couldn't avoid without prior knowledge, and lost far too much progress for me to bother investing again in a game I was simply not enjoying in any way (and this was my second time playing it, the first time I quit even earlier).

I very much dislike all the culture that's been created around this game, the "IT'S HARD" thing, because it is hard in all the wrong ways, and actively wants the player to quit playing. Well guess what, I did quit. It's the modern day equivalent of oldschool games giving you a "game over" and sending you back to the beginning, it's just bullshit. I love me some hard games, and have beaten my fair share of them, but I can only appreciate difficulty if it's well made, and Dark Souls' wasn't.

The losing progress stuff makes it much more intense and the player more cautious of environmental cues so they can't just hack away at enemies and run through the game at a brisk pace. The dragon on the dragon bridge makes a sound to alarm the player and you can see its shadow on the bridge well before it burns everything there which is something you would have seen coming if you had understood anything from playthrough till that time, reading environmental cues.

Dark Souls isn't highly regarded because its hard, its the amazing world designs and interconnectedness of the world, which you didn't experience because you quit the game too early. Its also the weighty and tight combat and the variety of weapons, something you couldn't have experienced so early in the game. The boss fights are amazing though you only fought two of them among twenty six. The games have amazing stories as well which you have to piece together using item descriptions.