By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls is overrated, it simply isn't fun

-locks thread for blasphemy- jk!

I don't think the series is overrated in relation to its ''fun'' or ''enjoyment''. I think that part of its franchise hype is actually pretty accurate. What part I feel is overrated about the franchise is its actual difficulty. It's really not a franchise thats as hard as its claimed to be due to the fact that a lot of people just try to run and hack and slash and when they die, suddenly deem it hard because they didn't play the game correctly. They're challenging games,sure, but the difficulty of them is exaggerated quite a bit.

Reasons why I feel this franchise is fun for me is the environments we are placed in,every single one, each offer their own unique setting,while also throwing in callbacks to previous games you have played(IE: areas revisited). Game play is made fun to me because its not your normal hack and slash games that were prominent before the first Souls game,Demon Souls,came out. Souls series is all about strategy, picking and choosing when to strike, using a correct item or ranged weapon on an enemy either for strong damage or chipping away by clipping your enemy for minor damage.

I consider the Souls series a lot like the Punch Out series, two different genres,two different styles of play, but ultimate really they're the same concept. Memorize your enemies patterns and react accordingly based off what you learn to beat them. Souls games are strategy games at the end of the day with more emphasis on thinking rather than brute force(unless you over level yourself of course!),

Thats my counter to the OP with my personal experience. As OP said, its all subjective, which I agree and respect. But this is just some of the reasons why I personally like the Souls series(including Bloondborne)

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I never thought I’d ever see someone find a way to downplay fun.

It's true, though. Certain games aren't meant to be "fun", in the same way that certain movies, for example horror films, aren't meant to be either. Movies, games, books or whatever else, can entertain us in several different ways, and that can often mean not fun.

[snip]

I guess it depends on how broad your definition of fun is. To lean into your movie comparison, I had great fun watching films like Schindler's List and The Babadook, despite the sometimes horrifying depictions of humanity in the former and the unbearable sense of dread in the latter.

Experiencing greatness is fun for me, regardless of the subject matter.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
mZuzek said:

It's true, though. Certain games aren't meant to be "fun", in the same way that certain movies, for example horror films, aren't meant to be either. Movies, games, books or whatever else, can entertain us in several different ways, and that can often mean not fun.

[snip]

I guess it depends on how broad your definition of fun is. To lean into your movie comparison, I had great fun watching films like Schindler's List and The Babadook, despite the sometimes horrifying depictions of humanity in the former and the unbearable sense of dread in the latter.

Experiencing greatness is fun for me, regardless of the subject matter.

I guess, but you can see why the term can be looked at as a simple notion of just 'having a good time'. Heck even I was an inch away from saying "I didn't like it because I wasn't having fun" when talking about Dark Souls there.

I'm not even gonna reply to further quotes from Dark Souls fans here either, I've dealt with that enough in life. They're probably the main reason I don't like this game, because whenever I criticize something about it and explain why I didn't like it, they're always sure to get defensive and start talking about how I don't "understand" it and how I'm playing it the wrong way. Hell yeah if I didn't understand it I'm not gonna like it it, it's as simple as that, personally I've played and enjoyed several games from several different genres that have the qualities people praise about Dark Souls, maybe the reason I don't like Dark Souls is because it really does do things wrong. I mean, what better way to encourage a player playing the "wrong" way to learn how to play it right than by wasting 20 minutes of their life each time they die, right? Man, makes me fired up to get right back at it and do everything all over again!

It's a lot of fun.
It's still no Demon's Souls, Bloodborne or Nioh, tho.

I dont fell overrated, i just sucked and gave up of dying, moved on. Is just not for me.

Around the Network

I agree that the series is overrated, from what I've played at any rate (Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne). I couldn't get into DS2 at all, but Bloodborne was solid, especially the Orphan of Kos fight in the DLC.

In general I find the sheer amount of praise all these titles get a little bit baffling, but then I feel that way about a lot of series so... *shrug*

Machina said:

I agree that the series is overrated, from what I've played at any rate (Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne). I couldn't get into DS2 at all, but Bloodborne was solid, especially the Orphan of Kos fight in the DLC.

In general I find the sheer amount of praise all these titles get a little bit baffling, but then I feel that way about a lot of series so... *shrug*

I always considered DS2 the bastard child of the franchise. Original creator didnt work on the game like he did the others, so the quality and care for that game showed and lacked immensely. Bloodborne was just awesome, man have I wanted a sequel to that for some time. But at least we have Sekiro to look forward to though,close enough xD

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

dark souls got a 88% rating so I don't see how this is overrated. It's just rated good. compare it with games like gta4 with with a 97% rating. do you want me to tell gta4 is one of the best games ever made?

ruffy37 said:
dark souls got a 88% rating so I don't see how this is overrated. It's just rated good. compare it with games like gta4 with with a 97% rating. do you want me to tell gta4 is one of the best games ever made?

I think it's reasonable to say GTA IV is among the 10,000 best games ever, so, yes.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Machina said:

I always considered DS2 the bastard child of the franchise. Original creator didnt work on the game like he did the others, so the quality and care for that game showed and lacked immensely. Bloodborne was just awesome, man have I wanted a sequel to that for some time. But at least we have Sekiro to look forward to though,close enough xD

Oi. that's my favourite Souls.

I actually didn't like much at first, it was only after I've finished DSIII that I got back to it and really loved it. Yeah, it has some problems, level design is not always top notch, but progressive hollowing (loosing more and more life after every death) is what I really liked about it.