By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 979 Greatest Games, as of 2018

I'm the only one who voted for Deus Ex? That's crazy!

Around the Network

It really feels like we just need to get more people voting on the list. Maybe then there would some more diversity near the top of the list. Not sure why more people don't participate though. Is the top 50 too difficult to come up with or something?

mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:
It really feels like we just need to get more people voting on the list. Maybe then there would some more diversity near the top of the list. Not sure why more people don't participate though. Is the top 50 too difficult to come up with or something?

There sure are many who just can't come up with a top 50, but I for one am kinda glad there wasn't an overwhelming amount of people this year, being my first time and all. I feel it was also a result of the general inactivity around here last year, I'm expecting the site to pick up a lot this year as it's likely gonna be a more news-filled year in gaming, and hopefully that reflects in more people taking part too.

In any case, the list is probably more diverse than it's being given credit for - the issue is more with the top 20 being insanely Nintendo-centric, and beyond bringing in more people, that's always gonna be hard to change because people tend to flock towards the same games when it comes to Nintendo. Be them Nintendo fans or not, games like SMB3, SMW, Galaxy 1/2, Odyssey, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Breath of the Wild and Super Metroid are bound to show up high in many people's lists simply because they stand out more, whereas different consoles usually have a wider variety of good games and thus the votes will be more spread out.

Yeah, that's more or less it. Most of the list is really diverse, I just don't quite agree with the idea that Nintendo has made 18 of the 20 best games ever made. Many of them certainly deserve their spot that high up no question. There are just some that I really don't see being that high, but that's always the case with opinions.

Whoops, forgot about this. Back when Smeags did it he messaged me a reminder. Both Baten Kaitos games would have been way higher if I'd voted.

Darashiva said:

I have a top 500. It's not difficult at all. This just wasn't advertised nearly enough. I didn't know it was still happening. I thought it stopped when Smeags left.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
mZuzek said:

There sure are many who just can't come up with a top 50, but I for one am kinda glad there wasn't an overwhelming amount of people this year, being my first time and all. I feel it was also a result of the general inactivity around here last year, I'm expecting the site to pick up a lot this year as it's likely gonna be a more news-filled year in gaming, and hopefully that reflects in more people taking part too.

In any case, the list is probably more diverse than it's being given credit for - the issue is more with the top 20 being insanely Nintendo-centric, and beyond bringing in more people, that's always gonna be hard to change because people tend to flock towards the same games when it comes to Nintendo. Be them Nintendo fans or not, games like SMB3, SMW, Galaxy 1/2, Odyssey, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Breath of the Wild and Super Metroid are bound to show up high in many people's lists simply because they stand out more, whereas different consoles usually have a wider variety of good games and thus the votes will be more spread out.

Yeah, that's more or less it. Most of the list is really diverse, I just don't quite agree with the idea that Nintendo has made 18 of the 20 best games ever made. Many of them certainly deserve their spot that high up no question. There are just some that I really don't see being that high, but that's always the case with opinions.

Part of the problem is that there are 5 different Smash games, 7 generations of Poke'mon, and 9 Mario Karts. People can't agree on which game in a series is best, so we wind up with every game in a long running Nintendo series getting a spot in the top 100. 

HylianSwordsman said:
Darashiva said:

I have a top 500. It's not difficult at all. This just wasn't advertised nearly enough. I didn't know it was still happening. I thought it stopped when Smeags left.

I had no difficulties putting my list together either. I made the original top 50 a few years ago and I just switch things up and add games as I play new stuff. I haven't listed every game I've ever played, but I have something like top 150 written down.

alternine said:
Still don't get the point of these polls on a Nintendo dominated forum. Obviously you know what it's gonna be lol

If you look at the single lists, it is by far not that Nintendo dominated. But the point is, that Nintendo-fans can easily agree on some games, while votes for other games usually are spread out very wide. So some Nintendo titles just gather a lot of points. Also this site is extremely console-focused and young. PC-titles or old titles have no chance near the TOP 100 and even less do mobile games (although there are good ones).

Yerm said:
Ive noticed one thing, and thats that Pac-Man is not on this list. and that upsets me

You should start a campaign for Pac-man. Make VGC-play-sessions for Pac-Man!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
alternine said:
Still don't get the point of these polls on a Nintendo dominated forum. Obviously you know what it's gonna be lol

I'm not convinced this forum is Nintendo dominated.  But most of the people on this forum don't participate in this event.  Maybe the younger people have a hard time coming up with 50 games they really like?  I don't know.  It does seem like the top games are over represented from generations 4 - 6 though, so I think age plays a factor.

Yerm said:
Ive noticed one thing, and thats that Pac-Man is not on this list. and that upsets me

Yeah, some games are so old that no one votes for them.  Pac-Man is probably the most popular game of all time for North America.  Either that or Pong, but Pong was even before my time.  I was never a Pac-Man guy, but if there were more people who were gamers from the early 80s then they definitely would have voted for Pac-Man.  It was even bigger than Super Mario 1.

We should create a league for older gamers on VGC.

Darashiva said:

Hmm, some younger players said they had difficulties coming up with 50 good games. Older players generally don't seem to have this problem. But that seems not all, for many people it seems to be a difficulty to put the games in order. I personally decided that it is not so important how the order was on each single game and I have no problem with games switching around on my list each year. If I would try to find a 'objectively' sorted list, I would probably be paralyzed though. I think we should make clear that it is OK you feel like reordering your list one day after sending.

mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:

Hmm, maybe if I am not too lazy, I could create a software that supports you in creating the lists. Especially putting in the lists as texts and the software tries to match the game on each entry. Even if only half of it is recognized, this probably is the part that is the most work.

I'm a bit hazy though in how the points work. Does #50 get one point, #49 two points and so on to #1 getting 50 points?

Darashiva said:
mZuzek said:

Yeah, probably how the ranking works and how Nintendo games are perceived works in favor of them, because I see the single lists are way more diverse than the TOP 20. Maybe the point-system can be tweaked so it works not more so much in favor of Nintendo.

HylianSwordsman said:
Whoops, forgot about this. Back when Smeags did it he messaged me a reminder. Both Baten Kaitos games would have been way higher if I'd voted.

Probably there should be a reminder early on to prior participants. Really some time before the event starts.

Darashiva said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I had no difficulties putting my list together either. I made the original top 50 a few years ago and I just switch things up and add games as I play new stuff. I haven't listed every game I've ever played, but I have something like top 150 written down.

Yeah, older players tend to have long lists of games to choose from. I feel sorry about leaving so much out not about listing mediocre game to fill my list.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The_Liquid_Laser said:
alternine said:

I'm not convinced this forum is Nintendo dominated.  But most of the people on this forum don't participate in this event.  Maybe the younger people have a hard time coming up with 50 games they really like?  I don't know.  It does seem like the top games are over represented from generations 4 - 6 though, so I think age plays a factor.

No, this forum is Nintendo dominated. There are more Nintendo topics/threads in the forum and Nintendo threads get way more replies. Most of the thread polls confirm the same thing.

I think in general that Nintendo fans (compared to Playstation and Xbox fans) are the most active users in internet forums. And on this site it is really extreme. I guess that Nintendo fans are the oldest gamers among the big three and therefore participate more on these internet gaming forums.

Just out of interest, is ResetEra more balanced with the fanbases?

Ouch, the only one of my top 5 to make the overall top 100 was Earthbound, shocked that even that is so low (no way in hell Undertale should be above it but w/e)! It's great to see such a diverse list too!

Thanks for all the work Muzek, those are the longest lists I think I've ever seen. Hopefully more people join in next year, my list's changed already!