By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why sony is leaving e3 in my opinion

Azzanation said:
TranceformerFX said:
Alot of people are making the assumption that since Sony isn't appearing for E3 in 2019, it means that they'll instead announce the PS5.
In reality - it's the exact opposite.

Sony isn't appearing at E3 because they're not going to announce the PS5. The gaming media is inconveniently putting Sony in a bad position by hyping up the "imminent PS5". While all of it pure speculation and conjecture, it none the less gets people thinking that the PS5 is coming despite zero evidence or confirmation from Sony. Basically, Sony isn't playing ball with the media and figures it's best to quelch rumors and false media hype by not showing up to E3 at all. Which is the right thing to do because Sony doesn't want the potential negative feedback from the community.

For those of you who think the PS5 is coming regardless; you're wrong. Sony absolutely will not release the PS5 until Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima have hit shelves.

The PS5 will come out on Nov. 2020, with the announcement happening in Feb.2020 in a live Press Conference. (For those.of you who are unaware, the PS4 wasn't announced at E3 - it was announced at New York press conference in Feb. 2013. The actual console is what was revealed at E3 2013 along with the retail price)

I agree with the bold however everything else I have to disagree on.

Not being at a show does not distinguish the rumours of a PS5 console, in fact it only fans the rumour flames even more. 

There are also many rumours flying around that games like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding etc are PS5 games (Possibly cross platform games, similar to Zelda BOTW with the WiiU and Switch launch)

Sony's 2018 show was a disappointment, and it probably did nothing but slightly tarnished the PS brand. Considering MS has the power edge now and majority of Xbox and Nintendo mistakes have been corrected with the S and X machines and Switch consoles, there's nothing really else they can do but showcase the same games we got in 2018 again.. maybe they could show case some low budget or Indy games but that's just making them look flat compared to what Nintendo and Xbox will bring to the table in 2019. MS have 14 gaming studios now with majority of them most likely making announcements of there future plans and there next projects next year.

I think you mean "extinguish" not "distinguish"...

There has been zero speculation that those games would be coming to PS5, that would be dumb to spin the rumor mill on games that haven't released yet - on a console that has barely been acknowledged (PS5). The PS5 could be a cardboard knock off of NintendoLabs for all we know.

Sony's E3 was a disappointment? Lol wut?

So by that logic, any time a gameplay trailer debuts for the first time, that's it. No more. We've seen all there is. All other trailers are moot after that, and we wait for the game. That's what your last bolded comment insinuates. Which sounds REALLY short sighted and...dumb..

E3 2018

*First ever Last of Us 2 game play trailer, WOOOOOT*

Hypothetical TGS 2019

*What? Another Last of Us 2 gameplay trailer showing Joel? SNOOOOOOOZE, WHAT IS THIS? 2018??? WE ALREADY GOT A GAME PLAY TRAILER! JEEZ SONY YOU DROPPED THE BALL GAAAWWWD...

:-I

Around the Network

don't think it will be that bad, sony is planing something and they will share soon what it will be

I think Sony should change the narrative of when they make announcements. E3, PAX, TGS, Gamescom, etc. are great events for bring gamers together to try new hardware and games, or participate in major tournaments, but I think PSX and Nitendo Direct like events are much better for major announcements.

I think it is more important to announce things in a timely fashion as opposed to forcing an announcement for a specific date set by a show. It also doesn't make sense to drop your announcements at the same time as everyone else in the industry. You are just asking for things to get overlooked if you cram your announcement in with 100's of other companies.

Going forward I hope Sony uses a more strategic and consumer friendly approach to announcements. Be more open with Directs right through the OS, and communicate with the userbase. Make major announcements at PSX. Use non gaming events like IFA and CES to market the broader capability of the ecosystem. There is huge room to improve their marketing and showmanship. Hopefully this is a sign they are heading in the right direction.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

TranceformerFX said:
Alot of people are making the assumption that since Sony isn't appearing for E3 in 2019, it means that they'll instead announce the PS5.

Sony isn't appearing at E3 because they're not going to announce the PS5. The gaming media is inconveniently putting Sony in a bad position by hyping up the "imminent PS5". While all of it pure speculation and conjecture, it none the less gets people thinking that the PS5 is coming despite zero evidence or confirmation from Sony. Basically, Sony isn't playing ball with the media and figures it's best to quelch rumors and false media hype by not showing up to E3 at all. Which is the right thing to do because Sony doesn't want the potential negative feedback from the community.

For those of you who think the PS5 is coming regardless; you're wrong. Sony absolutely will not release the PS5 until Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima have hit shelves.

The PS5 will come out on Nov. 2020, with the announcement happening in Feb.2020 in a live Press Conference. (For those.of you who are unaware, the PS4 wasn't announced at E3 - it was announced at New York press conference in Feb. 2013. The actual console is what was revealed at E3 2013 along with the retail price)

How about this..... the PS5 will be announced/released before the next e3 sony shows up for. So thats basicaly saying june 2020.

And this isn't some sort of media frenzy, its common sense. The only thing that ensures there will be no PS5 announcement in 2019 is if sony also announces they are skipping PSX2019 too. But if there is going to be a PSX2019 then thats pretty much a confirmation for the PS5 right there.

Reasoning for that is that they skip PSX 2018 ans E3 2019 because they have nothing to show but then have something for the PS4 to show in december 2019 during PSX? Makes no sense. They have nothing new to show because everything new right now is going to be on the PS5.

OTBWY said:
The reason? They straight up said they have no games to show. Can't get any more clear than that.

Thats actually a lie.

The E3 announcement went like this:

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” said Sony in a statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

The reason they give is because they want to try to put on a differnt show. Thats radically differnt than what they can do at E3.

Around the Network

Sony isn't leaving E3. They just do not have anything to show this year. They can't just show up with the same games we've seen the last 2-3 years,it would bore even their most hardcore fans. Instead they're skipping it to save that headache focus on gearing up for PS5. We'll see announcements, their own mini shows in 2019 to keep us updated with the 2019 releases. They'll be back 100% in full force with slew of ps5 announcements at E3 2020

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

TranceformerFX said: 

There has been zero speculation that those games would be coming to PS5, that would be dumb to spin the rumor mill on games that haven't released yet - on a console that has barely been acknowledged (PS5). The PS5 could be a cardboard knock off of NintendoLabs for all we know.

Sony's E3 was a disappointment? Lol wut?

*What? Another Last of Us 2 gameplay trailer showing Joel? SNOOOOOOOZE, WHAT IS THIS? 2018??? WE ALREADY GOT A GAME PLAY TRAILER! JEEZ SONY YOU DROPPED THE BALL GAAAWWWD...

:-I

Lets not act like there isn't a PS5 coming, its not rocket science to figure its coming, just when. < Not rocket Science.

From the majority of people who went to the show, Sony's show was a mess compared to other shows. < Majority's opinion.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/06/reaction_sonys_strong_e3_2018_show_almost_ruined_by_rubbish_format < Plenty of Articles on it.

Going to the E3 shows to see the same games is okay if its mixed with new announcements and other game announcements. < Just my opinion

I wouldn't go to a show to see the same games iv seen before. < Just another opinion of mine.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 17 November 2018

Their E3 this year was possibly their weakest ever due to quantity, so if they have even less than that (or the same) I could see why they'd cancel it. I still remember their show from this year and how shocked people were when it ended after so few games.

Azzanation said:
TranceformerFX said:

I agree with the bold however everything else I have to disagree on.

Not being at a show does not distinguish the rumours of a PS5 console, in fact it only fans the rumour flames even more. 

There are also many rumours flying around that games like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding etc are PS5 games (Possibly cross platform games, similar to Zelda BOTW with the WiiU and Switch launch)

Sony's 2018 show was a disappointment, and it probably did nothing but slightly tarnished the PS brand. Considering MS has the power edge now and majority of Xbox and Nintendo mistakes have been corrected with the S and X machines and Switch consoles, there's nothing really else they can do but showcase the same games we got in 2018 again.. maybe they could show case some low budget or Indy games but that's just making them look flat compared to what Nintendo and Xbox will bring to the table in 2019. MS have 14 gaming studios now with majority of them most likely making announcements of there future plans and there next projects next year.

This sounds more like Sony retreating from the E3 battle rather then showing up there competitors. They will be back and they will have a lot more to show but right now what's next? I feel the PS5 is even more closer than we think due to this interesting E3 avoidance method.

If TLOU 2 had to be the PS5 title, we would not have had two consecutive reveals of the same in E3 expo. One being the announcement and the other gameplay, not to mention the extra ones showcased during the other press conferences. I do feel Naughty Dog would soon announce the release date by q1 2019 for a q4 2019 release. PSE still remains the big card to me imho.

I'm just going to re-use my comment from thread number 2 on this subject, Sony might think they have nothing to gain from E3 next year. If they aren't ready to talk about PS5 yet no new games to announce leaves only Last of Us 2, Dead Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima left to talk about and what else is there really to say about those games. They aren't going to sell more copies of those games by showing them at E3 again.