By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why sony is leaving e3 in my opinion

VideoGameAccountant said:

I think shikamaru's assessment was right that a lot of these games are going to be available on PS5. Death Stranding most definitively is and I expected that the minute they showed off walking gameplay and no release date. I wouldn't doubt that Days Gone may be as well. Not sure about TLOU2. 

Death Stranding is finished already, only polishing left. Days Gone even has a release date already.

Around the Network

They dont need to waste time and money on that when all their fans already are updated for the next 15 months.

The PS5 isn't coming in 2019. If I could put money down on this thread, I would. I'm that certain.
It's coming Nov. 2020. Bank on it. Last of Us 2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima will have released by then.

Anyone who legitimately believes that it's coming in 2019 is wrong. I say this with confidence. The PS5 will not come out in 2019, nor will we hear anything about it next year.

2020 is when we get the PS5 reveal and the information dump.

The consumers who can't afford a PS4, possibly also can't afford to be part of events such as e3, even if it's due to their location and time. If instead of expecting those people to come to you for one big event, what if you spent all year going to them with smaller community based events? This would also be a great idea if you were launching a mobile/handheld/hybrid platform, after one large worldwide announcement first. If not, PS4 and Pro on the road would probably do wonders regardless.

BraLoD said:
They are gearing up to the PS5.
I don't think Sony is ever coming back to E3 (or at least for some years, if their new models goes wrong), they said they are looking for new ways to engage the community, there is nothing to do with "Sony has nothing to show" as some people are trying to push, there is always something to show, even if its nothing theirs, PS4 has a huge amount of 3rd party support and could bring several announcements from them, they have never missed a conference before, this is unprecedent, Sony has left E3 for good, the statement was pretty clear IMO.
The point is Sony is using the PS5 reveal as a chance to promote themselves even more, PSE will be their whole focus, and they might be thinking about spreading their announcements over the year.
E3 was a big show and good for Sony but now they want ever bit of the attention they bring to benefir only themselves, and they'll use the PS5 to catapult this.
From now on PSE is their main event, they might still appear on small events here and there if the timing is good, but the big guns will all be announced on events of their own.

While I am not convinced they hve left E3 for good, I aso kinda agree with you.

It just makes sense now for them to focus on PSX at the end of every year. I mean right now we have quakecon, EA has their own conference, ubisoft has theirs, SE hs theirs.....etc. There really is no point in having E3 anymore.   

Around the Network

Let's just not assume there must necessarily be a good reason: although this is a gen when Sony did most things right, in its history it did many little and big mistakes.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Hiku said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

That could be a possibility if they weren't also skipping PSX this year. It sounds more likely they aren't doing E3 for the same reason they aren't doing PSX: they don't have any more titles to show.

I think shikamaru's assessment was right that a lot of these games are going to be available on PS5. Death Stranding most definitively is and I expected that the minute they showed off walking gameplay and no release date. I wouldn't doubt that Days Gone may be as well. Not sure about TLOU2. 

All in all, these announcements suggest that Sony isn't doing events because they don't have any titles and a lot of what is left is being moved to the PS5. Keep in mind game development, especially on the AAA consoles, has been getting longer and longer. So long that Sony would show off games at multiple E3s before being released. If Sony just releases these titles on PS4 and leaves nothing for PS5, then the system will basically have nothing but filler for a good 3-4 years after release. Moreover, Nintendo showed this does work as they did with Zelda. With increased competition from Nintendo and Microsoft and the economy being strong, my guess is PS5 will be released before March 31st 2020 and likely be shown off in late 2019. 

To me it would seem very unlikely that Sony would not be able to acquire enough material for an event for over a full year. So if they skip PSX due to lack of content, then the reason for E3 should not be the same. And that seems reflected in their contrasting statements.
They cite a lack of relevant news to warrant a PSX show, but for E3 they were specifically talking about exploring new ways to reach their audience instead.

PSX, which also hosts the Capcom Cup Street Fighter V finals, is also an expensive event. Especially compared to something like a Nintendo Direct.
That the content they have to display this year didn't warrant the cost of the PSX sounds plausible considering they attended E3. However, if they want to make their PSX more eventful, moving their otherwise E3 announcements to PSX would be one way to go about it. But that would not be possible this year, since they did attend E3 2017. They could only make PSX more stacked starting from 2018.
That's assuming they will do a PSX again, which I'm not sure about either.

One thing we can be sure of is that all these companies have increasingly questioned if the millions in expenses of attending E3 are worth it, after we left the age where most people got their gaming information from magazines and TV.

I'm not disagreeing that several of these upcoming Sony first party titles will be either cross generational, or outright moved to PS5. I suspect that will happen as well. But I cannot see them not having enough content to show at E3 a full year later, especially when they skip PSX. And when they have such strong third party support, and when they can show off new cross generational games, which there will no doubt be many of considering PS4's very large install base. Like how Metal Gear Solid V was presented before PS4 was announced.

I don't see how it couldn't be the same reason. The PS4 is at the end of it's life and we've seen every game Sony will release on it. What would E3 be again? More Last of Us? More Death Stranding? More Days Gone? There aren't any other games left to warrant E3 just as there isn't enough to warrant PSX. Additionally, it may also be for the simple reason that these games are now releasing on the PS5, so they'll likely go dark until then. 

Sony's game division has been doing well with some hit titles and the improving US economy. If anything, it's much better than it was during the PS3 years when the division was tanking. But now Sony is going to pinch pennies? Additionally, you mention that companies are questioning the cost of E3, but have they really? Microsoft still holds huge events when they have less than Sony, and the only thing Nintendo has backed off on is the stage event. Nintendo still takes up a large space at E3 which is where I'm sure the lion's share of the cost comes from (think about setting these up, hiring people to run it, taking it down and the bill they pay the ESA for doing it). Again, Sony has never questioned it before, even when they had real financial difficulties with actual fear of bankruptcy, they still attended E3.

I think the different statements are just PR talk. Sony not doing their own little event is one thing but skipping out on the biggest press event for video games is a much bigger deal. Saying "We aren't going to E3 because no games" is a bad look during the transition period of a new consoles. I think that unique event where they communicate with their fans is the reveal of the PS5.

Last edited by VideoGameAccountant - on 18 November 2018

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

I think they will keep all the new info they have for future games and the PS5 to use on their own event to ensure they can create enough positive hype for it in one blast.

bluemd said:

While leaving e3 may seem crazy, sony was the one company with most to lose from e3. 

Being Nintendo and sony the most popular  console companies they managed to attract most of the attention to the conference. At the same time sony was the one who spent the most on the conference, while giving Microsoft lots of visibility (even outside the conference).

Now without sony and eNintendo (and probably other third parties) e3 will become less and less important, leaving to each consolle producer alone in promoting their brand. And the less popolar you are, the more you will suffer the lack of a single conference.

What do you think? 

sony is not going to e3 simply because it has no new games to show. They want to avoid a repeat of last e3 disaster. I'm sure sony will now learn not to blow your load on one e3. 

Even after all these years they are still saying sony has no gamez!!! crow will be served again

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...