By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why sony is leaving e3 in my opinion

shikamaru317 said:

My theory is they are only leaving for 2019 because they don't have enough games to show, because they decided to delay Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghosts of Tsushima and make them all cross-gen, and they don't want to show them again until PS5 is announced and they can show the PS5 versions of them all. We will get a PS5 reveal event before the end of 2019 where they show the PS5 versions of Death Stranding, TLOU 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and also announce some PS5 exclusives like Horizon 2. 

But surely this is not the first time they've had little new first party titles to show at E3? They've been going for 23 years in a row, so I doubt they haven't encountered this scenario before. But they can make up for those titles with third party showcases, as always. I'm sure they can reach an agreement with Square Enix to have a Final Fantasy VII trailer ready for E3 for example.

The fact that they not only chose to skip E3 for the first time, but also said that they're looking for new ways to reach out to their audience suggests to me that this is more about them not wanting to waste millions upon millions on E3 when in today's world there are many other ways to reach your audience, for significantly less money, and with less factors that can go wrong with a live presentation, etc.

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” said Sony in a statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”



Around the Network

Because you can make your own shit using the youtube to broadcast, at a much lower cost, with the same public reach.



shikamaru317 said:
Errorist76 said:

God I really wonder what drugs some of you guys are on.

None of those 3 games looked like they were close to being finished when they were shown at E3, Sony didn't even announce a release year for any of them, let alone a release quarter, which strongly suggests that they were all at least 1 year away from being finished. That makes them Q3-Q4 2019 releases at the absolute earliest (Q1-Q2 2019 is all about the Dreams beta, Concrete Genie, and maybe MediEvil). I think it is very possible that PS5 will be revealed in late 2019 ahead of a Spring 2020 release. Is it really so unlikely to you that TLOU 2, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima might get delayed from Q3-Q4 2019 to Q1-Q2 2020 to become cross-gen games? 

Those games were never said to be 2019 games. Sony has never released a new console in spring. I doubt they’d do it without hyping it up at E3 before and at least two of those three games will be 2020 titles. There would absolutely be no benefit in delaying them in order to make them cross-gen, like you said. It wouldn’t be strategically smart..they want to use those titles to sell consoles to new people. PS5 will mostly be sold to enthusiasts and fans who already are in the Playstation eco system.



Errorist76 said:
shikamaru317 said:

None of those 3 games looked like they were close to being finished when they were shown at E3, Sony didn't even announce a release year for any of them, let alone a release quarter, which strongly suggests that they were all at least 1 year away from being finished. That makes them Q3-Q4 2019 releases at the absolute earliest (Q1-Q2 2019 is all about the Dreams beta, Concrete Genie, and maybe MediEvil). I think it is very possible that PS5 will be revealed in late 2019 ahead of a Spring 2020 release. Is it really so unlikely to you that TLOU 2, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima might get delayed from Q3-Q4 2019 to Q1-Q2 2020 to become cross-gen games? 

Those games were never said to be 2019 games. Sony has never released a new console in spring. I doubt they’d do it without hyping it up at E3 before and at least two of those three games will be 2020 titles. There would absolutely be no benefit in delaying them in order to make them cross-gen, like you said. It wouldn’t be strategically smart..they want to use those titles to sell consoles to new people. PS5 will mostly be sold to enthusiasts and fans who already are in the Playstation eco system.

So then you agree with me that at least 2 of those 3 big games will be 2020 releases. I definitely think if they are 2020 games already, why would they not be cross-gen? It would be stupid to release them as late life exclusives, they tried that last gen with GT6 and it was a mistake, PS4's release hype killed it's legs and GT 6 ended up selling less than half of the copies that GT5 sold lifetime. Cross-gen releases however are proven to be highly successful, just look at some cross-gen games from this gen like Assassin's Creed 4 (best-selling game in the AC series), Battlefield 4 (2nd bestselling game in the series after Battlefield 3 I believe), and CoD Ghosts (over 30m sold including digital, a feat that only CoD games in the Modern Warfare and Black Ops series ever managed, making Ghosts the most successful non mini-series Call of Duty release to date). I just don't see a benefit to releasing Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghost of Tsushima as PS4 exclusives in late 2019 or 2020, whereas if they are cross-gen instead and release within PS5's launch window, they will move a good many extra PS5's at launch. Maybe 1 of them will PS4 exclusive, but all 3? No way that happens imo. 

As for a Spring 2020 release for PS5, maybe the reason that Sony never tried a Spring release before is because they thought it would be a disaster to release a new system outside of the Holiday sales season, but Switch proved that a Spring launch can be very successful. Also, with all signs pointing to a Holiday 2020 release for Xbox Scarlett, Sony might want to beat them to the punch and get a 5 or 6 month sales headstart over MS next gen. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 17 November 2018

Hiku said:
shikamaru317 said:

My theory is they are only leaving for 2019 because they don't have enough games to show, because they decided to delay Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghosts of Tsushima and make them all cross-gen, and they don't want to show them again until PS5 is announced and they can show the PS5 versions of them all. We will get a PS5 reveal event before the end of 2019 where they show the PS5 versions of Death Stranding, TLOU 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and also announce some PS5 exclusives like Horizon 2. 

But surely this is not the first time they've had little new first party titles to show at E3? They've been going for 23 years in a row, so I doubt they haven't encountered this scenario before. But they can make up for those titles with third party showcases, as always. I'm sure they can reach an agreement with Square Enix to have a Final Fantasy VII trailer ready for E3 for example.

The fact that they not only chose to skip E3 for the first time, but also said that they're looking for new ways to reach out to their audience suggests to me that this is more about them not wanting to waste millions upon millions on E3 when in today's world there are many other ways to reach your audience, for significantly less money, and with less factors that can go wrong with a live presentation, etc.

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” said Sony in a statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

That could be a possibility if they weren't also skipping PSX this year. It sounds more likely they aren't doing E3 for the same reason they aren't doing PSX: they don't have any more titles to show.

I think shikamaru's assessment was right that a lot of these games are going to be available on PS5. Death Stranding most definitively is and I expected that the minute they showed off walking gameplay and no release date. I wouldn't doubt that Days Gone may be as well. Not sure about TLOU2. 

All in all, these announcements suggest that Sony isn't doing events because they don't have any titles and a lot of what is left is being moved to the PS5. Keep in mind game development, especially on the AAA consoles, has been getting longer and longer. So long that Sony would show off games at multiple E3s before being released. If Sony just releases these titles on PS4 and leaves nothing for PS5, then the system will basically have nothing but filler for a good 3-4 years after release. Moreover, Nintendo showed this does work as they did with Zelda. With increased competition from Nintendo and Microsoft and the economy being strong, my guess is PS5 will be released before March 31st 2020 and likely be shown off in late 2019. 



Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Errorist76 said:

Those games were never said to be 2019 games. Sony has never released a new console in spring. I doubt they’d do it without hyping it up at E3 before and at least two of those three games will be 2020 titles. There would absolutely be no benefit in delaying them in order to make them cross-gen, like you said. It wouldn’t be strategically smart..they want to use those titles to sell consoles to new people. PS5 will mostly be sold to enthusiasts and fans who already are in the Playstation eco system.

So then you agree with me that at least 2 of those 3 big games will be 2020 releases. I definitely think if they are 2020 games already, why would they not be cross-gen? It would be stupid to release them as late life exclusives, they tried that last gen with GT6 and it was a mistake, PS4's release hype killed it's legs and GT 6 ended up selling less than half of the copies that GT5 sold lifetime. Cross-gen releases however are proven to be highly successful, just look at some cross-gen games from this gen like Assassin's Creed 4 (best-selling game in the AC series), Battlefield 4 (2nd bestselling game in the series after Battlefield 3 I believe), and CoD Ghosts (over 30m sold including digital, a feat that only CoD games in the Modern Warfare and Black Ops series ever managed, making Ghosts the most successful non mini-series Call of Duty release to date). I just don't see a benefit to releasing Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghost of Tsushima as PS4 exclusives in late 2019 or 2020, whereas if they are cross-gen instead and release within PS5's launch window, they will move a good many extra PS5's at launch. Maybe 1 of them will PS4 exclusive, but all 3? No way that happens imo. 

As for a Spring 2020 release for PS5, maybe the reason that Sony never tried a Spring release before is because they thought it would be a disaster to release a new system outside of the Holiday sales season, but Switch proved that a Spring launch can be very successful. Also, with all signs pointing to a Holiday 2020 release for Xbox Scarlett, Sony might want to beat them to the punch and get a 5 or 6 month sales headstart over MS next gen. 

I never said they won’t release on PS5 later. They will and will be cross-gen then. After PS5 has released.

GT6 sold less because it was basically the same game, just a bit more polished..not because it was late. TLOU was also a late gen game, a send-off...and that’s what part 2 and the other games will be as well.

Doesnt mean they’d won’t get released on PS5 as well.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 17 November 2018

VideoGameAccountant said:

I think shikamaru's assessment was right that a lot of these games are going to be available on PS5. Death Stranding most definitively is and I expected that the minute they showed off walking gameplay and no release date. I wouldn't doubt that Days Gone may be as well. Not sure about TLOU2. 

 

Death Stranding is finished already, only polishing left. Days Gone even has a release date already.



VideoGameAccountant said:
Hiku said:

But surely this is not the first time they've had little new first party titles to show at E3? They've been going for 23 years in a row, so I doubt they haven't encountered this scenario before. But they can make up for those titles with third party showcases, as always. I'm sure they can reach an agreement with Square Enix to have a Final Fantasy VII trailer ready for E3 for example.

The fact that they not only chose to skip E3 for the first time, but also said that they're looking for new ways to reach out to their audience suggests to me that this is more about them not wanting to waste millions upon millions on E3 when in today's world there are many other ways to reach your audience, for significantly less money, and with less factors that can go wrong with a live presentation, etc.

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” said Sony in a statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

That could be a possibility if they weren't also skipping PSX this year. It sounds more likely they aren't doing E3 for the same reason they aren't doing PSX: they don't have any more titles to show.

I think shikamaru's assessment was right that a lot of these games are going to be available on PS5. Death Stranding most definitively is and I expected that the minute they showed off walking gameplay and no release date. I wouldn't doubt that Days Gone may be as well. Not sure about TLOU2. 

All in all, these announcements suggest that Sony isn't doing events because they don't have any titles and a lot of what is left is being moved to the PS5. Keep in mind game development, especially on the AAA consoles, has been getting longer and longer. So long that Sony would show off games at multiple E3s before being released. If Sony just releases these titles on PS4 and leaves nothing for PS5, then the system will basically have nothing but filler for a good 3-4 years after release. Moreover, Nintendo showed this does work as they did with Zelda. With increased competition from Nintendo and Microsoft and the economy being strong, my guess is PS5 will be released before March 31st 2020 and likely be shown off in late 2019. 

To me it would seem very unlikely that Sony would not be able to acquire enough material for an event for over a full year. So if they skip PSX due to lack of content, then the reason for E3 should not be the same. And that seems reflected in their contrasting statements.
They cite a lack of relevant news to warrant a PSX show, but for E3 they were specifically talking about exploring new ways to reach their audience instead.

PSX, which also hosts the Capcom Cup Street Fighter V finals, is also an expensive event. Especially compared to something like a Nintendo Direct.
That the content they have to display this year didn't warrant the cost of the PSX sounds plausible considering they attended E3. However, if they want to make their PSX more eventful, moving their otherwise E3 announcements to PSX would be one way to go about it. But that would not be possible this year, since they did attend E3 2017. They could only make PSX more stacked starting from 2018.
That's assuming they will do a PSX again, which I'm not sure about either.

One thing we can be sure of is that all these companies have increasingly questioned if the millions in expenses of attending E3 are worth it, after we left the age where most people got their gaming information from magazines and TV.

I'm not disagreeing that several of these upcoming Sony first party titles will be either cross generational, or outright moved to PS5. I suspect that will happen as well. But I cannot see them not having enough content to show at E3 a full year later, especially when they skip PSX. And when they have such strong third party support, and when they can show off new cross generational games, which there will no doubt be many of considering PS4's very large install base. Like how Metal Gear Solid V was presented before PS4 was announced.



They dont need to waste time and money on that when all their fans already are updated for the next 15 months.



The PS5 isn't coming in 2019. If I could put money down on this thread, I would. I'm that certain.
It's coming Nov. 2020. Bank on it. Last of Us 2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima will have released by then.

Anyone who legitimately believes that it's coming in 2019 is wrong. I say this with confidence. The PS5 will not come out in 2019, nor will we hear anything about it next year.

2020 is when we get the PS5 reveal and the information dump.