By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why sony is leaving e3 in my opinion

While leaving e3 may seem crazy, sony was the one company with most to lose from e3. 

Being Nintendo and sony the most popular  console companies they managed to attract most of the attention to the conference. At the same time sony was the one who spent the most on the conference, while giving Microsoft lots of visibility (even outside the conference).

Now without sony and eNintendo (and probably other third parties) e3 will become less and less important, leaving to each consolle producer alone in promoting their brand. And the less popolar you are, the more you will suffer the lack of a single conference.

What do you think? 

Around the Network

I think people are jumping the gun because of one E3. Sony not coming in 2019 doesn't mean they won't make major showings in the future ...

1) Nintendo NEVER left E3. They still have the biggest booth at the convention. The only thing that changed is the format of their presentation (from live conference to video presentation). And it's still called the "E3 Direct". That's it.

2) I disagree. The week of E3 is by far the week of the year with the most gaming related announcements, by a WIDE margin. Attendance for E3 2018 was the highest since 2005 as well.

What more than likely is the case, is that Sony doesnt have enough to show to justify a conference. Rather than put out another lackluster show like last year's, they decide to pull out for now, and come back E3 2020 with a bang, with two years worth of announcements.

Either that, or they are saving for PSX 2019, which this falls within the week of Playstation's 25th anniversary. They will be back at E3 for sure next year.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Declaring it a good or a bad move without knowing Sony's plans for the short and long term is really impossible. If it's a one-off thing to prepare for the PS5 then this turns into nothing.

As the market leader, there will still be plenty of games announced for the PS4 by other companies. If Sony only has already announced PS4 titles and everything else is PS5 content that they're keeping under wraps then a conference from them would be a waste of time and resources.

Alot of people are making the assumption that since Sony isn't appearing for E3 in 2019, it means that they'll instead announce the PS5.
In reality - it's the exact opposite.

Sony isn't appearing at E3 because they're not going to announce the PS5. The gaming media is inconveniently putting Sony in a bad position by hyping up the "imminent PS5". While all of it pure speculation and conjecture, it none the less gets people thinking that the PS5 is coming despite zero evidence or confirmation from Sony. Basically, Sony isn't playing ball with the media and figures it's best to quelch rumors and false media hype by not showing up to E3 at all. Which is the right thing to do because Sony doesn't want the potential negative feedback from the community.

For those of you who think the PS5 is coming regardless; you're wrong. Sony absolutely will not release the PS5 until Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima have hit shelves.

The PS5 will come out on Nov. 2020, with the announcement happening in Feb.2020 in a live Press Conference. (For those.of you who are unaware, the PS4 wasn't announced at E3 - it was announced at New York press conference in Feb. 2013. The actual console is what was revealed at E3 2013 along with the retail price)

Around the Network

They will not have anything to show for PS4 anymore so they will skip E3 to announce the PS5 and upcoming games in 2020

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

The reason? They straight up said they have no games to show. Can't get any more clear than that.

I think Sony only pulled out of E3 this year because they don't have any major game announcements left for this generation. Also, E3 isn't cheap (from what journalists have said) and requires a lot of planning (I believe Shawn Layden said they start planning for E3 sometime around January). Sony probably determined that the costs outweighed the benefits this year and decided it was better to not go. Days Gone should be out before E3 2019, which would only leave The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima. We've seen a decent amount of footage from each of those games and all that's left is to announce release dates. With God of War, Spider-Man, and Days Gone having their release dates announced on the Playstation Blog, they'll probably do the same for the remaining three exclusives.

I expect they'll be back at E3 in 2020 once the PS5 has been officially revealed at PSX 2019.

TranceformerFX said:
Alot of people are making the assumption that since Sony isn't appearing for E3 in 2019, it means that they'll instead announce the PS5.
In reality - it's the exact opposite.

Sony isn't appearing at E3 because they're not going to announce the PS5. The gaming media is inconveniently putting Sony in a bad position by hyping up the "imminent PS5". While all of it pure speculation and conjecture, it none the less gets people thinking that the PS5 is coming despite zero evidence or confirmation from Sony. Basically, Sony isn't playing ball with the media and figures it's best to quelch rumors and false media hype by not showing up to E3 at all. Which is the right thing to do because Sony doesn't want the potential negative feedback from the community.

For those of you who think the PS5 is coming regardless; you're wrong. Sony absolutely will not release the PS5 until Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima have hit shelves.

The PS5 will come out on Nov. 2020, with the announcement happening in Feb.2020 in a live Press Conference. (For those.of you who are unaware, the PS4 wasn't announced at E3 - it was announced at New York press conference in Feb. 2013. The actual console is what was revealed at E3 2013 along with the retail price)

I agree with the bold however everything else I have to disagree on.

Not being at a show does not distinguish the rumours of a PS5 console, in fact it only fans the rumour flames even more. 

There are also many rumours flying around that games like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding etc are PS5 games (Possibly cross platform games, similar to Zelda BOTW with the WiiU and Switch launch)

Sony's 2018 show was a disappointment, and it probably did nothing but slightly tarnished the PS brand. Considering MS has the power edge now and majority of Xbox and Nintendo mistakes have been corrected with the S and X machines and Switch consoles, there's nothing really else they can do but showcase the same games we got in 2018 again.. maybe they could show case some low budget or Indy games but that's just making them look flat compared to what Nintendo and Xbox will bring to the table in 2019. MS have 14 gaming studios now with majority of them most likely making announcements of there future plans and there next projects next year.

This sounds more like Sony retreating from the E3 battle rather then showing up there competitors. They will be back and they will have a lot more to show but right now what's next? I feel the PS5 is even more closer than we think due to this interesting E3 avoidance method.

Qwark said:
They will not have anything to show for PS4 anymore so they will skip E3 to announce the PS5 and upcoming games in 2020

I agree!