By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why sony is leaving e3 in my opinion

It seems most of Sony's first party is transitioning to PS5 development. 

Around the Network
melbye said:
Snoopy said:

I think they are going to announce TLOU2, Death Stranding, and Ghost as PS5 exclusive games. PS4 is already successful and those games won't change that, however, PS5 has to prove itself.

Doubt it. I think TLOU2 will eventually be on PS5, but PS4 first. Ghosts on Tsushima will be released and stay exclusive to PS4 and my guess their next PS4-game after Days Gone. Death Stranding is the one game that i can believe will be a Breath of the Wild-like situation but not exclusive to PS5

Death Stranding is the only game that's already finished. Kojima has stated a few weeks ago that there's only polishing left!

Snoopy said:
Errorist76 said:

Those games will be cross-platform, no doubt. But they will have re-releases on PS5 because PS5 won't be out at release yet.

There were technical reasons TLG didn't come to PS3. 

PS5 will be out in 2020. Those games will be huge for PS5. Sony is all about, buy our new platform to play our games. Unlike Microsoft who are all about play anywhere. I can see it going both ways, but I wouldn't doubt Sony is making the games PS5 exclusive. Also, I haven't seen much of Ghost or Death Stranding. They might be 2021 games.

All games are confirmed PS4 games. You know what a backlash Sony would get? Impossible. 

shikamaru317 said:
My theory is they are only leaving for 2019 because they don't have enough games to show, because they decided to delay Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghosts of Tsushima and make them all cross-gen, and they don't want to show them again until PS5 is announced and they can show the PS5 versions of them all.

God I really wonder what drugs some of you guys are on.

Errorist76 said:
melbye said:

Doubt it. I think TLOU2 will eventually be on PS5, but PS4 first. Ghosts on Tsushima will be released and stay exclusive to PS4 and my guess their next PS4-game after Days Gone. Death Stranding is the one game that i can believe will be a Breath of the Wild-like situation but not exclusive to PS5

Death Stranding is the only game that's already finished. Kojima has stated a few weeks ago that there's only polishing left!

Hm, maybe Last of SU might see a dual-release on PS4 and PS5. Ghosts of Tsushima must be almost done though considering Sucker Punch hasn't released anything since 2014, unless something has gone horribly wrong at some point during development

Around the Network

Errorist76 said:

Sony still showed the better games. MS just showed multiplats and sequels of Halo, Gears and Forza. 

MS might have gotten more recognition for the show but Sony clearly took the award for the most impressive games, don't forget that.

You clearly didn't watch MS's show if that's all you think they showed. Either way you are entitled to your own opinion. I disagree.

Because you can make your own shit using the youtube to broadcast, at a much lower cost, with the same public reach.

shikamaru317 said:
Errorist76 said:

God I really wonder what drugs some of you guys are on.

None of those 3 games looked like they were close to being finished when they were shown at E3, Sony didn't even announce a release year for any of them, let alone a release quarter, which strongly suggests that they were all at least 1 year away from being finished. That makes them Q3-Q4 2019 releases at the absolute earliest (Q1-Q2 2019 is all about the Dreams beta, Concrete Genie, and maybe MediEvil). I think it is very possible that PS5 will be revealed in late 2019 ahead of a Spring 2020 release. Is it really so unlikely to you that TLOU 2, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima might get delayed from Q3-Q4 2019 to Q1-Q2 2020 to become cross-gen games? 

Those games were never said to be 2019 games. Sony has never released a new console in spring. I doubt they’d do it without hyping it up at E3 before and at least two of those three games will be 2020 titles. There would absolutely be no benefit in delaying them in order to make them cross-gen, like you said. It wouldn’t be strategically smart..they want to use those titles to sell consoles to new people. PS5 will mostly be sold to enthusiasts and fans who already are in the Playstation eco system.

Hiku said:
shikamaru317 said:

My theory is they are only leaving for 2019 because they don't have enough games to show, because they decided to delay Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghosts of Tsushima and make them all cross-gen, and they don't want to show them again until PS5 is announced and they can show the PS5 versions of them all. We will get a PS5 reveal event before the end of 2019 where they show the PS5 versions of Death Stranding, TLOU 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and also announce some PS5 exclusives like Horizon 2. 

But surely this is not the first time they've had little new first party titles to show at E3? They've been going for 23 years in a row, so I doubt they haven't encountered this scenario before. But they can make up for those titles with third party showcases, as always. I'm sure they can reach an agreement with Square Enix to have a Final Fantasy VII trailer ready for E3 for example.

The fact that they not only chose to skip E3 for the first time, but also said that they're looking for new ways to reach out to their audience suggests to me that this is more about them not wanting to waste millions upon millions on E3 when in today's world there are many other ways to reach your audience, for significantly less money, and with less factors that can go wrong with a live presentation, etc.

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” said Sony in a statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

That could be a possibility if they weren't also skipping PSX this year. It sounds more likely they aren't doing E3 for the same reason they aren't doing PSX: they don't have any more titles to show.

I think shikamaru's assessment was right that a lot of these games are going to be available on PS5. Death Stranding most definitively is and I expected that the minute they showed off walking gameplay and no release date. I wouldn't doubt that Days Gone may be as well. Not sure about TLOU2. 

All in all, these announcements suggest that Sony isn't doing events because they don't have any titles and a lot of what is left is being moved to the PS5. Keep in mind game development, especially on the AAA consoles, has been getting longer and longer. So long that Sony would show off games at multiple E3s before being released. If Sony just releases these titles on PS4 and leaves nothing for PS5, then the system will basically have nothing but filler for a good 3-4 years after release. Moreover, Nintendo showed this does work as they did with Zelda. With increased competition from Nintendo and Microsoft and the economy being strong, my guess is PS5 will be released before March 31st 2020 and likely be shown off in late 2019. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

shikamaru317 said:
Errorist76 said:

Those games were never said to be 2019 games. Sony has never released a new console in spring. I doubt they’d do it without hyping it up at E3 before and at least two of those three games will be 2020 titles. There would absolutely be no benefit in delaying them in order to make them cross-gen, like you said. It wouldn’t be strategically smart..they want to use those titles to sell consoles to new people. PS5 will mostly be sold to enthusiasts and fans who already are in the Playstation eco system.

So then you agree with me that at least 2 of those 3 big games will be 2020 releases. I definitely think if they are 2020 games already, why would they not be cross-gen? It would be stupid to release them as late life exclusives, they tried that last gen with GT6 and it was a mistake, PS4's release hype killed it's legs and GT 6 ended up selling less than half of the copies that GT5 sold lifetime. Cross-gen releases however are proven to be highly successful, just look at some cross-gen games from this gen like Assassin's Creed 4 (best-selling game in the AC series), Battlefield 4 (2nd bestselling game in the series after Battlefield 3 I believe), and CoD Ghosts (over 30m sold including digital, a feat that only CoD games in the Modern Warfare and Black Ops series ever managed, making Ghosts the most successful non mini-series Call of Duty release to date). I just don't see a benefit to releasing Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and Ghost of Tsushima as PS4 exclusives in late 2019 or 2020, whereas if they are cross-gen instead and release within PS5's launch window, they will move a good many extra PS5's at launch. Maybe 1 of them will PS4 exclusive, but all 3? No way that happens imo. 

As for a Spring 2020 release for PS5, maybe the reason that Sony never tried a Spring release before is because they thought it would be a disaster to release a new system outside of the Holiday sales season, but Switch proved that a Spring launch can be very successful. Also, with all signs pointing to a Holiday 2020 release for Xbox Scarlett, Sony might want to beat them to the punch and get a 5 or 6 month sales headstart over MS next gen. 

I never said they won’t release on PS5 later. They will and will be cross-gen then. After PS5 has released.

GT6 sold less because it was basically the same game, just a bit more polished..not because it was late. TLOU was also a late gen game, a send-off...and that’s what part 2 and the other games will be as well.

Doesnt mean they’d won’t get released on PS5 as well.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 17 November 2018