By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

S.Peelman said:

#41: One of the first pieces of footage we ever saw of this game, was a dangling, gently swaying lamp in a dark and small room which showed off a pretty impressive lighting engine, for a handheld.

First I thought I have no idea which game it could be, but I'm intrigued after this description. Than a thought occured. Could it be...? I looked at youtube for the trailer of what I thought about, and indeed, there was a dangling lamp. Resident Evil Revelations. I played the crap out of this game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
(Change YoY: -3)

My favourite RTS franchise of all time is Command & Conquer, and the best game in the series in my opinion is Red Alert 2. It's not the highest ranked game from the series in my top 50, but a lot of that comes down to nostalgia for the other game that's still to come. I've always loved the fact that while other RTS games were constantly trying to change things up in order to modernize the genre, C&C has for the most part remained very traditional. Naturally the series has changed things up and updated its gameplay mechanics, but the core of the franchise for the most part always stayed the same. To me, this was the game where they found the perfect balance with this.

The gameplay was smoother and more varied than before, but still contained within it the basic gameplay loop that the first game in the series established half-a-decade earlier. Let other franchises worry about modernizing the genre. C&C has always been at its best when it doesn't try to change the formula too much. There's a reason why the lowest point of the series to this day is Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight. 

Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

#41: One of the first pieces of footage we ever saw of this game, was a dangling, gently swaying lamp in a dark and small room which showed off a pretty impressive lighting engine, for a handheld.

First I thought I have no idea which game it could be, but I'm intrigued after this description. Than a thought occured. Could it be...? I looked at youtube for the trailer of what I thought about, and indeed, there was a dangling lamp. Resident Evil Revelations. I played the crap out of this game.

Yes! Very good.

axumblade said:
Dr.Vita said:

Hints:
#43 - Manipulate gravity for the first time on a handheld
#42 - 31st century, a world where humans have regressed to primitive tribal societies as a result of some unspecified calamity

42 sounds like Horizon: Zero Dawn. My boyfriend talks about this game all the time. :'D 

Correct, your boyfriend has a good taste. ;)

#41 Attack of the Friday Monsters!
guessed by no one
platform 3DS
release year 2013
developer/publisher Millenium Kitchen/Aquria/Level-5
genre adventure
links Wikipedia
last year  #39

As I said before with other games, I love adventures. And this game is another one, a small but heartwarming adventure. You play a little kid in Japan in the 70s, as the monster movies became big. The kids roam around and do stuff, and you playing one of these kids has to solve quests to progress the story. There is really not much to it, but it all is so masterfully executed, it just clicks.

The game was part of the guild-series. That was an experiment from Level-5 to ask different well known game designers to go crazy and implement an idea they always wanted to do, although on a small scale. These guild games were published by Level-5 on the 3DS eShop as download games. And actually I liked most of these guild games. I wish Level-5 (or whoever) tries again something like this, it showed some interesting ideas in result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnW8_1XBps

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 November 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

More hints.

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.
b) You can kill yourself with your own attack if you not careful.
c) The whole series and it's gameplay revolves around the weapon used, which is kinda tricky to work with.
d) You can upgrade your weapons with more reach and number, which makes it even more likely to accidentaly kill yourself.
e) Play with up to five players on one PC - it get's quite crowded on the keyboard.
f) White vs. Black.
Guessed by axumblade: Bomberman/Dyna Blaster

a) Travel with a train, launch into space, make music, meet ghosts.
b) Play with up to eight players on one PC.
c) Hunt for the highscore.
d) This pinball game was the first game of a still existing and active gaming company.
e) Dreams were followed by fantasies which were followed by illusions.

a) This time you help two princesses.
b) Sometimes you turn into a wolf.
Guessed by S.Peelman: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

a) This indie tabletop game let's you play as a member of one of four tribes (wolfs, rats, rabbits or bears) to gain control over the kingdom.
Guessed by Darashiva: Armello

a) You're back playing the characters from the first entry of the game series.
b) You play on a ship. And a second one. And a third?

a) The first time it happened in an old mansion.

RolStoppable said:
Mnementh said: 

a) You're back playing the characters from the first entry of the game series.
b) You play on a ship. And a second one. And a third?

Resident Evil Revelations.

Yes. I was a bit surprised, that S.Peelman also has just gave hints for RE:Revelations.

Mnementh said:
RolStoppable said:

Resident Evil Revelations.

Yes. I was a bit surprised, that S.Peelman also has just gave hints for RE:Revelations.

Was just about to guess but Rol ninjad me.

More hints.

- mZuzek can't stop talking about how much he loves this game
- 4 (+1) islands

- There are three versions of this game

- 3rd game out of 4, soon out of 5

- Can it sell 5 million in Japan alone??

- This 4th main entry in its franchise introduces a lot more verticality

Flilix said:

More hints.

- There are three versions of this game

Fire Emblem Fates?