By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

I'll do a few more game hints

-A remake of the first game in the franchise, this time with added cutscenes, abilities/weapons and areas after beating the original final boss.
-Uses the engine from the 4th game and marks the first time there have been two games from this franchise on a single platform.

-Part of a long running rpg franchise, this game is a direct sequel to the previous game but unrelated to any of the other titles, though Yogurt is still here.
-A shining example of what a killer developer can do with more heroes, 9 of them to be exact.

-A sequel in name only, this JRPG not only defines the main characteristic of the franchise but also leads to an entirely separate rpg saga.
-The best way to win is hitting yourself.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Darashiva said:

(...)

Anyway, here are hints for the next few games on my list as well:

#40: Introduced a charge shot mechanic to this classic 2D action platforming franchise.

#39: From the madhouse in the first game to the city proper in this one.

#38: Haystacks shouldn't provide quite as much of a safety net as they do in this franchise. This is the second game in it.  

Thread has a lot of new posts since the last time I checked, so a few of the games have probably already been guessed.

#40: Mega Man 4
#39: Resident Evil 2
#38: Assassin's Creed 2

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Gonna do #45-41, as I'll be traveling tomorrow:

This game is a remake of a title whose sequel was remade last year (you might need to read that more than once)

This PS2 game kickstarted a franchise that's getting an animated Netflix show

The middle child in a beloved spiritual trilogy

It's been 15 years but it's getting a sequel...on PlayStation 6 maybe?

A HD remake of this shooter was included in a much-maligned 2014 compilation

#45: Metroid Zero Mission
#42: Beyond Good & Evil
#41: Halo 2

Don't tell me that #43 is Shadow of the Colossus.

Those are all right!

Flilix said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

BG&E is right!

#45 is a GBA game.

Metroid: Zero Mission

Yup!

RolStoppable said:
Landale_Star said:
I'll do a few more game hints

-A remake of the first game in the franchise, this time with added cutscenes, abilities/weapons and areas after beating the original final boss.
-Uses the engine from the 4th game and marks the first time there have been two games from this franchise on a single platform.

-Part of a long running rpg franchise, this game is a direct sequel to the previous game but unrelated to any of the other titles, though Yogurt is still here.
-A shining example of what a killer developer can do with more heroes, 9 of them to be exact.

-A sequel in name only, this JRPG not only defines the main characteristic of the franchise but also leads to an entirely separate rpg saga.
-The best way to win is hitting yourself.

#41: Metroid Zero Mission... again
#40: Sega's Shining series. I don't think it's Shining Force 2, but I can't be bothered to use Google.
#39: Sounds like Final Fantasy II, but it really doesn't. Maybe Shin Megami Tensei 2.

#41 and 39 are correct I'll accept that Final Fantasy II since you mentioned it. 

#40 You got the series

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 20 November 2018

RolStoppable said:
Darashiva said:

(...)

Anyway, here are hints for the next few games on my list as well:

#40: Introduced a charge shot mechanic to this classic 2D action platforming franchise.

#38: Haystacks shouldn't provide quite as much of a safety net as they do in this franchise. This is the second game in it.  

Thread has a lot of new posts since the last time I checked, so a few of the games have probably already been guessed.

#40: Mega Man 4
#39: Resident Evil 2
#38: Assassin's Creed 2

Yes to 40, no to 39, and 38 was already guessed, but it's right too.

RolStoppable said:
Landale_Star said:

#41 and 39 are correct I'll accept that Final Fantasy II since you mentioned it.

What's the separate RPG saga you speak of in relation to Final Fantasy II?

Regarding #40, is Yogurt also in Phantasy Star games? Or is just that I couldn't name the correct offspring of Shining?

I meant the SaGa series since its often considered to be a spiritual offshoot of FFII and Akitoshi Kawazu was the lead designer for FFII before beginning the first SaGa game.

As for #40 I don't think Yogurt appears in Phantasy Star, you were correct with the Shining series just not the right game.

Around the Network
Darashiva said: 

I think this is Batman: Arkham City

Landale_Star said:
Darashiva said: 

I think this is Batman: Arkham City

That's the one.

Let the guesses coming.

a) Laundryman vs. evil alien space monster!
b) Cast a spell so your servant falls down.
c) Every friday the gigantic monsters come out.
d) What do the employees of the TV station know about the friday monsters?
e) Collect glims to trade them into monster cards!
f) Made by Kaz Ayabe this little download game falls into a series of games released as little artistic experiments on the 3DS eShop.
g) How many humans are actually aliens?

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.
b) You can kill yourself with your own attack if you not careful.
c) The whole series and it's gameplay revolves around the weapon used, which is kinda tricky to work with.
d) You can upgrade your weapons with more reach and number, which makes it even more likely to accidentaly kill yourself.
e) Play with up to five players on one PC - it get's quite crowded on the keyboard.
f) White vs. Black.
Guessed by axumblade: Bomberman/Dyna Blaster

a) Travel with a train, launch into space, make music, meet ghosts.
b) Play with up to eight players on one PC.
c) Hunt for the highscore.
d) This pinball game was the first game of a still existing and active gaming company.

a) This time you help two princesses.
b) Sometimes you turn into a wolf.
Guessed by S.Peelman: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

a) This indie tabletop game let's you play as a member of one of four tribes (wolfs, rats, rabbits or bears) to gain control over the kingdom.
Guessed by Darashiva: Armello

a) You're back playing the characters from the first entry of the game series.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Age of Mythology

• Windows PC
  • Real-time Strategy
  • Ensemble Studios/Microsoft Game Studios

It is hard for a game in the Real-time Strategy genre to really grip me, I usually gravitate more towards turn-based. But a few have done just that. One of the best ones is surely 'Age of Mythology'. The game is a spin-off of famous RTS-series 'Age of Empires', and it runs on a precursur of 'Age of Empires 3''s game-engine.

What sets it apart from the realistic roots of it's parent series is the emphasis on, as the name says, mythology. Namely three ancient mythologies; Greek, Egyptian and Norse. The expansion-pack, called 'Titans', adds a fourth one; Atlantean, technically an offshoot of the Greek mythology. Though a fun addition and it comes with some great new content, this expansion is not really necessary and it even breaks the balance of gameplay a bit.

The mythological influence is what makes the game fun. Each race is unique with their own strengths and weaknesses, and have their own mechanics by way of legendary creatures and the God Powers, which double as tech-ages usually found in other RTS's. Since there are many combinations of gods to choose from, advancing to the next stage adds a great deal of strategy to the game, something I have never really seen in other games of the genre.

#41: One of the first pieces of footage we ever saw of this game, was a dangling, gently swaying lamp in a dark and small room which showed off a pretty impressive lighting engine, for a handheld.