By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Mnementh said: 

a) Travel with a train, launch into space, make music, meet ghosts.
b) Play with up to eight players on one PC.
c) Hunt for the highscore.
d) This pinball game was the first game of a still existing and active gaming company.
e) Dreams were followed by fantasies which were followed by illusions.
f) Originally developed for the Amiga it was ported to multiple PC-platforms, including DOS, which was the version I played.

Pinball Dreams.

Around the Network

I'll start giving hints for my games too.

- A Holy Game
- Set in a Port.
- Known for over the top wackiness and immaturity
- The ending is presidential

- Get assaulted by tree branches and rocks.
- Endurance is needed to survive this storm.
- Why isn't she called the Storm Queen?

- Remember kids, drugs make you see aliens.
- Fame or Shame?

- Now that's a tree.

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

#39 and #35 are still unguessed.

a) The first time it happened in an old mansion.
b) The series started with this game is in high reputation still and has brought us many great and some not so great games.

Resident Evil? The original? Figured Luigi’s Mansion would be too easy with the first hint, but the second makes me think you have two RE games back to back in this list.

No idea about 39.

Yeah, Resident Evil. Compiling the list I didn't notice two Resident Evil games were back to back, only as I made the hints I realized that.

Barkley said:
Mnementh said: 

d) This pinball game was the first game of a still existing and active gaming company.
f) Originally developed for the Amiga it was ported to multiple PC-platforms, including DOS, which was the version I played.

Pinball Dreams.

Oh yeah, someone got it. Great!

Barkley said:

I'll start giving hints for my games too.

- A Holy Game
- Set in a Port.
- Known for over the top wackiness and immaturity
- The ending is presidential

- Get assaulted by tree branches and rocks.
- Endurance is needed to survive this storm.
- Why isn't she called the Storm Queen?

- Remember kids, drugs make you see aliens.
- Fame or Shame?

- Now that's a tree.

#39 is Saints Row. I'm not sure which one. I think in IV you become president, so probably that one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#40 Dyna Blaster/Bomberman
guessed by axumblade
platform DOS
release year 1990
developer/publisher Hudson Soft
genre action
links Wikipedia

Oh wow, this game are so many hours of my life. For some reason I didn't remember it for last years list. Back then as a european I wasn't aware it is actually part of the Bomberman series, I thought it was a Bomberman clone, as it was called Dyna Blaster in europe. Outside of europe it is called Bomberman, again without number, although it is different to the five years earlier released original Bomberman.

The game has a single-player mode with slow slow progression, as in each stage you got only one upgrade and you started with practically nothing. But it worked, as the monsters in each stage got more and more difficult to beat. The different worlds had differing designs and the levels became much much bigger. But the real fun was multiplayer. Normal multiplayer was already hectic and so much fun, but skull.mode brought that up to a new level. Sometimes instead of upgrade skulls were revealed instead of upgrades. And they did stuff to you for a limited time: made you slower, made you faster, inverted controls or something like this. And the best part: you could infect other players with it, by running over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njqr_aHLQ10

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

And a new game.

Guessed by Barkley: Pinball Dreams

a) This time you help two princesses.
b) Sometimes you turn into a wolf.
Guessed by S.Peelman: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

a) This indie tabletop game let's you play as a member of one of four tribes (wolfs, rats, rabbits or bears) to gain control over the kingdom.
Guessed by Darashiva: Armello

a) You're back playing the characters from the first entry of the game series.
b) You play on a ship. And a second one. And a third?
Guessed by RolStoppable: Resident Evil: Revelations

a) The first time it happened in an old mansion.
b) The series started with this game is in high reputation still and has brought us many great and some not so great games.
Guessed by S.Peelman: Resident Evil

a) As first rumours leaked about this mashup of two franchises, nobody thought that could work well together.
Guessed by Barkley: Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Last edited by Mnementh - on 22 November 2018

Around the Network
Mnementh said: 

a) As first rumours leaked about this mashup of two franchises, nobody thought that could work well together.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Maybe I shouldn't answer within 2 minutes, and let other people have a guess. xD

Mnementh said:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Barkley said:
Mnementh said: 

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Maybe I shouldn't answer within 2 minutes, and let other people have a guess. xD

Flilix said:
Mnementh said:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Oh wow, that was fast. I thought the hint was too unspecific.Thought wrong obviously. Anyways, Barkley was the faster gun, so fame and honor go to him.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

40.  This tower defense game on the PS3 seems to make fun of its own graphics
39.  This tactical RPG from Sega was probably inspired by Fire Emblem, but it was released in North America several years before we saw our first Fire Emblem game.
38.  The biggest surprise in this game comes after you've already won.

I think #39 is Shining Force.

Super Metroid

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System, WiiU
  • Action-adventure
  • Nintendo R&D1/Nintendo

'Super Metroid' is a game commonly mentioned among all-time classics. Rightfully so I might add, it is a monumental title and very influential in it's genre. The atmosphere created in the game is unprecedented, level-design superb; you'll feel very lost in it's world, trying to find a way out.

In the game, Samus tracks down the captain of the Space Pirates known as Ridley who stole the last of the Metroids and wants to use it to harness it's power. Gameplay centers around exploration and finding weapons and items to proceed ever closer to finding Ridley only to find out he wasn't the one pulling the strings. The game has too many secrets to count, and finally reaching the exhilarating endgame is a great moment. And then just when you thought you found everything, you notice you actually you got 67% of all the secrets.

I had played this game for a brief moment on the Super Nintendo way back when, but because I never owned one myself during it's prime, the game passed out of knowledge for quite a long time. Only to be rediscovered when it was re-released on the WiiU's virtual console. This made me remember that, yes, this game was indeed amazing.