By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Inside Xbox @ X018 thread. November 10th, 1pm PT, 4pm ET, 9pm GMT

Snoopy said:
Errorist76 said:

2:1? That’s a huge exaggeration.

https://www.engadget.com/2007/10/31/360-leads-hardware-to-software-ratio-wii-and-ps3-trail-with-sim/

If that’s would be true, why is the attach rate almost 3:1 this gen in favour of PS4, although X1 is closest in the US market?

Xbox one isn't doing nearly as well as PlayStation in Canada (Part of North America) and U.K. which makes up a huge chunk as well. The other countries do help, but not nearly as much.

The biggest problem MS will have at the start of next gen is PS5 most likely having backwards compatibility. Unless Sony don’t screw this up, I doubt MS will have a chance of getting close worldwide. They might have a chance to lead in their home market, but it’ll be nowhere close to how it was in 360 times.

Around the Network

yeah show was poor, not much to be excited about. i think this gen is largely over for exclusives. i expect every new studio to be going to the next xbox immediately, preparing for as strong a first year as possible when it launches holiday 2020.

obsidian aren't the studio they were ten years ago when they made New Vegas, but with a good budget they could be a great addition. will be interesting to see what kind of games they make. the type of games they have made recently review well but they aren't system sellers. hopefully they will make something more like NV, a full open world rpg. InXile I don't know much about, so can't say how big an addition they are.

Snoopy said:
Runa216 said:

I have a very hard time believing that Microsoft will ever do as well as the Xbox 360 again. The first Xbox didn't sell all that well, the 360 sold well mostly due to how terribly the PS3 was doing (No other console manufacturer would get away with something like the Red Ring of Death and live to tell about it), and the second half of last gen somehow let Ps3 win overall. 

So Xbox wasn't putting out exclusives or making much ground for the second half of last generation, went into this generation with terrible PR and marketing, and have continued to spend the last 5 years not offering anything of value outside of Game Pass; what makes you think that they've earned consumer trust? 

So far this year they have 1 quality exclusive (Forza Horizon 4) compared to PS4's 14 games and the Switch's 8. (That's games with a 75 average or higher with 20 reviews or more on Gamerankings. PC multiplat and last-gen remasters DO count. However, if we're going by JUST PURE exclusives, then the numbers go: 0 for Xbox One, 6 for PS4, and 2 games on Switch). My point is, you're being awfully optimistic when it comes to this stuff. 

Yet NPD just showed the top 10 games for ps4 and only one exclusive. PS4 owners buy the same games as Xbox 95% of the time. Sony was selling well for the first three years and they had only one game that sold over 3 million at that time.

You really wanna do the numbers game, bro? PS4 exclusives have been regularly selling better than Xbox One exclusives by a WIDE margin, have been getting consistently better reviews, and there are a whole lot more of them. 

I have, on multiple times when I was bored, compared sales and score data for the exclusives and the PS4 wins in literally every category by a wide margin and that margin is growing wider. This year alone Spider-Man and God of War have sold around 5 million each (4.95 for God of War and counting, 4.24 for Spider-Man and still early in its run, will it 5 million easily), and the HIGHEST selling Xbox One Exclusive according to this very site is Halo 5 with 4.88 million. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

celador said:
yeah show was poor, not much to be excited about. i think this gen is largely over for exclusives. i expect every new studio to be going to the next xbox immediately, preparing for as strong a first year as possible when it launches holiday 2020.

obsidian aren't the studio they were ten years ago when they made New Vegas, but with a good budget they could be a great addition. will be interesting to see what kind of games they make. the type of games they have made recently review well but they aren't system sellers. hopefully they will make something more like NV, a full open world rpg. InXile I don't know much about, so can't say how big an addition they are.

InXile have been an ok AA studio but they've not really had big teams or budgets. They certainly have improved from what they were like maybe 8-10 years ago, they were a bit of a joke back then. So I would say they could be pretty good.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Errorist76 said:
Snoopy said:

Xbox one isn't doing nearly as well as PlayStation in Canada (Part of North America) and U.K. which makes up a huge chunk as well. The other countries do help, but not nearly as much.

The biggest problem MS will have at the start of next gen is PS5 most likely having backwards compatibility. Unless Sony don’t screw this up, I doubt MS will have a chance of getting close worldwide. They might have a chance to lead in their home market, but it’ll be nowhere close to how it was in 360 times.

Console sells don't matter but software sells does. In fact, Phil Spencer said in a theoretical situation if they can sell fewer consoles, but more software will be ideal. If you buy a ps5 and buy 1 game a year or throw it in the closet it does Sony no good.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Nautilus said:
That was a weak show

4/10

I wouldn't even give it that. Crackdown looks terrible and the rest was all gamepass stuff and expansions for games I don't have or don't like. 

2/10 and I'm only being that generous because the crowd was inexplicably excited, even when No Man's Sea was discussed. 

Kingdom Hearts 3 part was the best of the show.
Because of that new trailer (or expanded trailer) Id give it like a 4/10 too.

Snoopy said:
Errorist76 said:

Console sells don't matter but software sells does. In fact, Phil Spencer said in a theoretical situation if they can sell fewer consoles, but more software will be ideal. If you buy a ps5 and buy 1 game a year or throw it in the closet it does Sony no good.

But we know thats not how the correlation is currently true though. The numbers of owned games is significantly higher this gen than last...  now if you had said Gamepass/PC means that console sales dont matter as much to MS, I would give you that, but overall in Sony's case they are selling much more hardware and selling much more software. So the argument is pretty mute this gen. Perhaps it won't be the case next gen if MS sort out the MS PC Store as currently it's shite.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Snoopy said:
Errorist76 said:

This makes sense, since MS is obviously selling their consoles at a loss. Again, software sales this gen pretty much match the console sales, so I don’t get your point why it should be different next gen, especially since MS seems to be pushing for Gamepass now.

celador said:

They made 2 games resently.

Torment: Tides of Numenera (im a huge planescape torment fan, a game in the series was hype for me, but it didnt live up to the 1st game)
Wasteland 2.... was okay, but really buggy. I didnt play it more than like... 5hours? or so before I uninstalled it (its 80 metacritic and overrated imo).

They "can" make good games, and hopefully with MS backing them, they can take more time to make sure the polish is on point, and that their future games are up to the quality they need to be.

Obsidian is a amasing company, the histroy they have alone.
Thats def. the better of the two buys.

Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2 are amasing imo.
So we know that obsidian can make great games still. My faith in them is much higher than in InXile.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 10 November 2018

Runa216 said:
Snoopy said:

Yet NPD just showed the top 10 games for ps4 and only one exclusive. PS4 owners buy the same games as Xbox 95% of the time. Sony was selling well for the first three years and they had only one game that sold over 3 million at that time.

You really wanna do the numbers game, bro? PS4 exclusives have been regularly selling better than Xbox One exclusives by a WIDE margin, have been getting consistently better reviews, and there are a whole lot more of them. 

I have, on multiple times when I was bored, compared sales and score data for the exclusives and the PS4 wins in literally every category by a wide margin and that margin is growing wider. This year alone Spider-Man and God of War have sold around 5 million each (4.95 for God of War and counting, 4.24 for Spider-Man and still early in its run, will it 5 million easily), and the HIGHEST selling Xbox One Exclusive according to this very site is Halo 5 with 4.88 million. 

5 million people out of 90 million ps4 users isn't really proving your point. The two games you brought up came at the end of the generation. How did ps4 sell well before these games? You really think 60 million ps4 owners bought ps4 for uncharted 4, a game that isn't even in the top 10 NPD for PS4? 

PS4 succeeded mainly because it was cheaper and therefore adopted right away. And most people buy the system where their friends are at. That is why Sony is stubborn about crossplay because it is a huge selling point for ps4.

A quality game is someone's opinion. I like multiplayer games that's why I play xbox more. I can finish most ps4 games in a week and there are only 5 ps4 exclusives I like. I play everything else on Xbox one x since it plays majority the games that both PlayStation and Xbox players play, except much better in every way.