By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 39 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - September 24-30, 2018

Pretty poor September for switch
I expected something like 4M in Q2, 10M in Q3 and 4 million on Q4 to get to the 20 million.
I thought it would increase in September when compared to august to keep up to get a 4M in this Q.
Só, seems they will have to ship 11 or 12 million in Q3 if they want to keep the 20 million forecast, and that is insane high. Really hard to believe from a 300$ gaming system.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

nero said: 

Healthy numbers all around. Both above baseline

Yeah, after the last two disappointing weeks they're both up again above their resective baselines (~20K/40K). But this week saw a number of mid-level releases, so that explains it. Does the rest of the year has consistent releases of at least decent software, so they both can keep up?

Anyways, PS4 version of Musou sold 4 times as much as Switch version. For FIFA it was nearly four times the sales. Anyone knows how well the Switch release of Dragon Ball Fighters hold up with this number? Valkyria Chronicles sold 10 times as much at the PS4 first week. But even then, VC4 on PS4 is still disappointing compared with previous entries. This makes me sad, as this games is quite good. I hope for better sales in the West. The World ends with you sold initially 80K in opening week on the DS, so 14K for a remake 10 years later seems OKish.

SMP should do it, Pokemon and Smash. Don't know if there are more games that can push sales.

Games not doing great compared to PS4 but the base is greater in PS4, how it can settle and pick up

jonathanalis said:
Pretty poor September for switch
I expected something like 4M in Q2, 10M in Q3 and 4 million on Q4 to get to the 20 million.
I thought it would increase in September when compared to august to keep up to get a 4M in this Q.
Só, seems they will have to ship 11 or 12 million in Q3 if they want to keep the 20 million forecast, and that is insane high. Really hard to believe from a 300$ gaming system.
I think it all falls on Pokemon Let's Go and whether it can attract the Go audience. It's possible but I doubt it, I think Switch will just barely miss the mark.

PS4 had some good debuts, but I'm sad about Cold Steel 4. I was really hoping 100k+.

Also, fans of the more niche games haven't quite moved to Switch yet. Some not great debuts this week.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Plenty of new games this week. Now the release schedule is really starting to heat up.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:

The PS4 sells 9% of its total hardware in Japan.

The Switch sells 25% of its total hardware in Japan.

Given this, about how much better would you expect the Switch to sell in Japan relative to the PS4?

Currently it's at about a 60/40 split in Japan for this calendar year.

Sorry, 60/40 for you is 'just barely easing past it'? And mind you, PS4-sales would look a lot worse without the MonHUn boost, as can easily be obsderved in Neros graph.

And yes, the PS4 has better regions, namely europe. And yes, the Switch has worse regions, namely europe too. And yes, the PS4 does pretty well. And yes after 2017 we may have expected more from the Switch. All this doesn't change the fact, that you compared sales of the peak of a system with a relatively new one, talking about 'just barely easing past it' for a system that is constantly doubles the sales of the other and is about to overtake the total sales of five years in just two. You just got overly defensive of the PS4. That is silly. The PS4 did great. It is just, that by now another system shines bright. Who knows if the Switch can keep up this momentum past 2020, but for the moment it does well. That doesn't diminish the  great performance of the PS4. No need to defend the PS4 with silly statements.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

nero said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, after the last two disappointing weeks they're both up again above their resective baselines (~20K/40K). But this week saw a number of mid-level releases, so that explains it. Does the rest of the year has consistent releases of at least decent software, so they both can keep up?

Anyways, PS4 version of Musou sold 4 times as much as Switch version. For FIFA it was nearly four times the sales. Anyone knows how well the Switch release of Dragon Ball Fighters hold up with this number? Valkyria Chronicles sold 10 times as much at the PS4 first week. But even then, VC4 on PS4 is still disappointing compared with previous entries. This makes me sad, as this games is quite good. I hope for better sales in the West. The World ends with you sold initially 80K in opening week on the DS, so 14K for a remake 10 years later seems OKish.

SMP should do it, Pokemon and Smash. Don't know if there are more games that can push sales.

Games not doing great compared to PS4 but the base is greater in PS4, how it can settle and pick up

Actually user base is already pretty close in Japan. PS4 doesn't have four times the units in the wild, not even double. So Switch-games should sell better. And they actually do, only in different genres.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Megiddo said:

Given this, about how much better would you expect the Switch to sell in Japan relative to the PS4?

You do realize Monster Hunter boost skews things?

From Week 8-week 39

PS4-685,447

NSW-1,415,159

When talking about whether or not something IS dominating, you look at current sales, not ones from 8-9 months ago.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Switch 3rd party not looking great

zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

You do realize Monster Hunter boost skews things?

From Week 8-week 39

PS4-685,447

NSW-1,415,159

When talking about whether or not something IS dominating, you look at current sales, not ones from 8-9 months ago.

I mean, do you understand what 'this calendar year' means? It's not some arbitrary range as you seem to have selected.

This has to be your weakest argument I've read yet. Yes, tentpole games will raise sales. That's not some amazing secret. It's not Sony's fault that Nintendo didn't have a tentpole game in the first 10 months of this calendar year.

Even in that cherry-picked range, the ratio is 67/33 and not the 75/25 that it should be.