By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When you have to "resort" to digital.

That sweet Jak and daxter HD upgrade of all 4 games for the PS4 would have been nice as a physical release.  The PS3 HD trilogy is creeping up a bit in price in the UK.

Last edited by VGhippy - on 09 January 2018

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

I usually prefer physical copies and will usually only get digital if that's the only way to get something, or if a game is much cheaper digitally compared to physical, though i'm not sure how often that happens. 

For example I bought Modern Warfare Remastered on PS4 digitally a while ago and the PSN Store page told me it was only like 40-50GB or something like that then it turned out to be like 77GB or something like that. That really fucked up the rest of my PS4 storage and made me have to delete a lot of other games to make room for it.

That pissed me off, felt like false advertising and I regretted buying it. Even if it's because they had updates and DLC and such, then fuckin update the store page to reflect that new GB size. Just an example of why I would have preferred to get the physical copy instead of going digital if it was gonna be that big, but I normally don't buy big games like that digitally anyway. 

Wouldn't you run into the exact same problem with a physical version of the game? It gets installed completely onto the hard drive anyway and on the back of the cover it says that it needs 50 GB. So I don't really see where the difference between digital and physical is in this scenario.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I have gone full digital a couple of years ago. It's very convenient not having to fiddle with discs, everything is instantly playable at the press of controller button. Physical games are just useless clutter to me now. Sure, I could trade them in at Gamestop but nah, can't be bothered anymore.

I like to have my Switch games digital mainly because i can take them anywhere without carrying the things plus games i play the most of, id much rather digital especially big games like MMOs and openworld RPGs. That i know ill be playing for a long time, like Monster Hunter Worlds.

I would always prefer physical.

The Switch being portable means digital is better as stated by post above.

So for home console ALWAYS physical when I can (space is no problem) and Switch is a combo.

I also have younger relatives that appreciate me passing on games to them to try or keep.

Around the Network

I would’ve always chosen physical, but since account/game sharing on PS4 with my brother works so well and we both now own a PSVR on top, I prefer to save 50%. I hardly sell games anyway and he's quite actively buying games I wouldn’t have necessarily bought, which means I’m getting free games on top...yay!

OdinHades said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I usually prefer physical copies and will usually only get digital if that's the only way to get something, or if a game is much cheaper digitally compared to physical, though i'm not sure how often that happens. 

For example I bought Modern Warfare Remastered on PS4 digitally a while ago and the PSN Store page told me it was only like 40-50GB or something like that then it turned out to be like 77GB or something like that. That really fucked up the rest of my PS4 storage and made me have to delete a lot of other games to make room for it.

That pissed me off, felt like false advertising and I regretted buying it. Even if it's because they had updates and DLC and such, then fuckin update the store page to reflect that new GB size. Just an example of why I would have preferred to get the physical copy instead of going digital if it was gonna be that big, but I normally don't buy big games like that digitally anyway. 

Wouldn't you run into the exact same problem with a physical version of the game? It gets installed completely onto the hard drive anyway and on the back of the cover it says that it needs 50 GB. So I don't really see where the difference between digital and physical is in this scenario.

The only difference would be he/she wouldn’t have to download as much.

I prefer physical mainly because of DRM. Physical and digital games may have DRM, but with digital the threat that it does run no longer if servers are deactivated is high. The physical games work on the right hardware even without internet. Digital games with DRM might be bound to a specific hardware, physical games aren't because of the way they're distributed.

That said, I go digital: if no DRM (gog.com for instance), if much cheaper or on sale or if not available physical.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Phisical, cause me and my sister share game libraries. You can't usually do that with digital.
Also digital proces go up when you realize you need a 128GB card.

At about half-way, people missed the whole point of the thread