By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When you have to "resort" to digital.

This is not a "digital vs. physical media" debate. (Although I can see it evolving into one.)

When there's an option to buy a physical or digital version of a game, my default choice is physical.  But when it comes down to it, I'll buy digital if the physical version of the game is out of print, and the price of the physical version is too high beyond reason.  I would have loved to own a copy of the Gravity Rush Remaster for the PS4.  Original priced at $30, I should have pick it up when I can since it was a very limited run.  It easily runs for almost 3x as much on eBay for the US version.  You can get it on sale on the PSN for $15.  So it was too tempting to pass up given the reality of the physical release on the gray market.  Honestly, I'd buy a near mint copy of the original for $30 over the current digital sale price, but at this point I cannot really complain.  Thankfully, Gravity Rush 2 has yet to succumb to gray market gouging.  I'll be keeping an eye out on this one.

What games would you have preferred to have a physical copy of, but had to resort to buying digital?

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 09 January 2018

Around the Network

Okami HD for the PC. Generally I prefer physical over digital. But I am considering to go all digital when I buy the Switch this year.

I always prefer physical, but see the conveniences of Digital. I go physical first always, but if I have to do digital for whatever reason, I do not really care one way or another.

Unless it is a Zelda game. I have at least one physical version of every canon/non-canon game in my collection (including CD-i). This is my only exception to the not caring rule.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

cheaper.....

i mean if the retail is $60 vs $40... i would very much likely to buy the digital esp if it doesnt have collection value for me

XD84 said:

Okami HD for the PC. Generally I prefer physical over digital. But I am considering to go all digital when I buy the Switch this year.

I will say that next gen, I see myself going mainly digital unless it's a limited edition.  When I purchase my Switch later this year, I'll still buy physical.

Around the Network

I normally buy games physically, but if the digital version is cheaper I don't mind buying it digitally. I got Monster Hunter 4U and Zelda Majora's Mask both for -30% (I think) on the eShop.

LivingMetal said:
XD84 said:

I will say that next gen, I see myself going mainly digital unless it's a limited edition.  When I purchase my Switch later this year, I'll still buy physical.

There is only one thing that holds me back of going all digital with the Switch. Will I still be able to have access to all my games on system in 10 years? That is why I have no issues to buy digital games over steam, since I will be able to play does games in many years to come. 

Digital for me these days.
Having a physical copy is nice and all, but I don't like too many copies taking up space in my room, or getting tattered with time, so I'd rather they take space in my HDD/SSD's instead.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Throughout 2017, I've been finding myself leaning more and more towards digital. So, it's not really a last resort, for any Switch game that's 10 GB or less, digital is actually my preferred option.

I don't resort to buying digital myself. If a game does not have a physical release, I simply do not get it, no matter the game.