By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 - most underrated

Just go play Half-Life 2.
12 hours of bliss.

Around the Network

As someone who bought it launch day, I have to say it’s far from underrated. It’s not a bad game by any means, but it deserved its criticisms for sure. What it did right, namely graphics and shooting mechanics, it did a pretty damn good job. Problem was, the game was insanely linear and really offered nothing outside of its mostly cutscene story mode for that $60 price tag. It would’ve been a little more acceptable if it offered some form of multiplayer, or at least a co op mode, but there was literally nothing that added replay value. I remember buying it on Friday, And then having the platinum trophy the next day. In short, the game was a glorified tech demo for something that could be so much more. Personally, I still believe the IP has a lot of potential, and I hope Sony continues it at some point. The game has its engine and gameplay pretty spot on; a longer and more open story, plus some co op and competitive multiplayer, would make for a pretty stellar sequel. A new dev needs to do it though, unless Sony buys R@D and expands the team by a large ammount of staff.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

i'm gonna wait until it's on PS Plus, which hopefully it will this year

it was such a good reveal and idea and they really messed it up from what I've seen, and made something completely average. I wish someone else could have a go on it, make it a longer game with more open areas, like a Bioshock for example. Won't happen now of course

I think it is rated just how it should have been. Should have launched at $40 like Ratchet and Clank.

Even though I am an Uncharted fan, this game brought very little value in comparison. Uncharted did everything better including graphics, gameplay, story length, online play, etc. One might think comparing the 2 games is not ideal since it's ND, but I disagree since they chose to copy ND's style but in doing so brought nothing new to the table and worse for the exact same price of $60.

I bought it for $5. On a PSN sale. It's fine for what it is. Great graphics. Half finished story, overly linear, too many QTE. 6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
celador said:
i'm gonna wait until it's on PS Plus, which hopefully it will this year

it was such a good reveal and idea and they really messed it up from what I've seen, and made something completely average. I wish someone else could have a go on it, make it a longer game with more open areas, like a Bioshock for example. Won't happen now of course

R@D was in way over their heads. Before The Order, they were making Wii ports and PSP titles. They should’ve never taken on such a high budget project without greatly expanding their team first. My guess is, they convinced Sony somehow that they could make the next huge AAA IP for them, with their small team. I agree, hopefully Sony gives it another chance, but has someone else do it. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Wanna get this game back. I had it when I first got a ps4 was a brill game too bad I sold most of my gaming gear back then. I'll get this back to finish it is there NY ps4 pro enhancements?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I've beaten it. It's 10 hours if you pause a lot to admire the visuals. I found it fun at time, but kinda annoying at times. I remember 2 or 3 chapters of the game that were literally just short films; no input at all was required from the player.

You can find it now for $10 bucks or less. It's definitely worth a purchase but if I had bought this thing at $60 I would have been pissed. With that said, the game was as advertised. The devs were pretty clear with the type of experience they were creating/aiming for and it delivered, albeit on the short side.

4 ≈ One

Mr Puggsly said:

The game isn't 10 hours, also lots of cutscenes and walking around listening to dialogue.

The story is pretty good, the graphics are great, and the gunplay is above average. Its just the pacing overall makes it a mediocre game and the combat feels very scripted. I think its worth checking out for like $10 though.

I remember seeing the marketing and thought Sony had an answer to Gears of War. It looks like a game with lot of action but the final product was a very story driven experience. If my memory is right, there are relatively few enemy encounters for the genre. Basically, I don't feel the marketing was honest about what type of game it was.

Quantum Break > Ryse > The Order

Edit: I found an old post I had about this game and this is partly why its rated the way it is. "I just finished this game. And... I like the story but the gameplay is underwhelming. Slow, linear, repetitive combat, no replay value, too many QTEs, cliff hanger ending, much more focus on story than gameplay. If you could skip cutscenes this game would probably just be a few hours. This is the kind of game many core gamers don't want but they made it anyway.

Did they not see the criticism Ryse received? Ryse is an arguably better game by the way. Its a shame because it seems like there was so much potential here. In fact, I would like to see a sequel to this. They need to overhaul the gameplay to something that feels more like Gears. More freedom, more dynamic combat, more gameplay, maybe good multiplayer and split screen co-op. It has many great ideas and this could become a great series, but they fucked up its first outing."

Never saw the commercials and mainstream ads for the game so my above post should be worded better. What I saw of the game at game-shows (E3, PSX, etc.) and developer interviews seemed honest enough though.

4 ≈ One

the game is not bad and has lots of potential; but some designs choices made the game average. To name one, there are too many QTEs........why would you put QTEs as a stealth mechanic?! why would you do a boss fight to be a huge QTE event???

When RAD made a bad choice in the game, they made it an epic failure, while the other good parts were not lengthy enough or "epically good" enough to compensate the mistakes.

The graphics were damn amazing but they had to use the black bars, the gunning mechanics were good but the the battles were a bit scripted. For every good there was a bad thing.

The story is great with lots of potential, but the pacing sometimes can be a bit off.

Without QTEs, more gamplay sections, some puzzle solving, some exploring, and without the black bars. The game could have easily be a success.