By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 - most underrated

Mnementh said:
It's the usual thing: the game got overhyped way too much. This is understandable, at the time the PS4 had not much exclusives that weren't ports. So The Order was hyped into overdrive. If it was just marketed as a solid mid-level game (which it is) at maybe lower price, this would have taken on good. But as the commercials and hype was saying something else, many that bought it felt deceived. That is all.

The hype in the media in the weeks before release was mainly negative, if you remember right.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
Mnementh said:
It's the usual thing: the game got overhyped way too much. This is understandable, at the time the PS4 had not much exclusives that weren't ports. So The Order was hyped into overdrive. If it was just marketed as a solid mid-level game (which it is) at maybe lower price, this would have taken on good. But as the commercials and hype was saying something else, many that bought it felt deceived. That is all.

The hype in the media in the weeks before release was mainly negative, if you remember right.

It got criticism in the media, after the magazines git review copies. Before that all they could go for, was the marketuing machine. And the marketing machine was working for the game. Just look at the threads here in VGChartz. to see how the major impression was before release and how it changed with release. There may be single media outlets that looked through the hype and identified warning markers, but the marketing just drowned these voices.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Errorist76 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yeah I agree. The Order didn’t fail because RAD was unprepared; it failed because the studio focused on, in my opinion, the wrong elements. Heck, the game’s director said storytelling and graphics were the most important things.

It was...it was supposed to be more like a Telltale game than Gears or Uncharted. If that's wrong is very subjective, but people definitely had the wrong expectations.

Can you blame people for expecting a third-person shooter in the vein of Gear or Uncharted?

The PS Store lists the game as an "intense third-person action-adventure shooter..."

Sony hosted trailers like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hxz8IWWzt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJvIak6BpE

Errorist76 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yeah I agree. The Order didn’t fail because RAD was unprepared; it failed because the studio focused on, in my opinion, the wrong elements. Heck, the game’s director said storytelling and graphics were the most important things.

It was...it was supposed to be more like a Telltale game than Gears or Uncharted. If that's wrong is very subjective, but people definitely had the wrong expectations.

Regardless of expectation, it just doesn't do what its aiming for in a particularly enjoyable way.

Its not like a Telltale game because you aren't making decisions, shaping relationships, etc. Until Dawn is a Telltale style of game, The Order is a linear shooter with a ton of story that can't be skipped.

Even if you explain to someone what it is before they play it, its still a mediocre product. Watching a bunch of cut scenes, walking through environments with little to explore, and relatively few action scenes is never going to be a great game. But that's the game they made anyway.

I think I paid $10 for it on PSN when it was only like a year old, that was a fair price. But its still a slog because of bad pacing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I beat it in 8 1/2 hours, and was very satisfied. I felt it was well worth $60 and I would give it an 8.5/10. One point for each hour of gameplay.

To me The Order 1886 is PS4's Uncharted. A great single player only game, with a short, but very enjoyable experience, that can be played through multiple times. I enjoy games like this, bacuase it is nothing to play through it once a year, similar to a lot of old SNES games. It would be great if we got a surprise sequal to thislike we saw with Knack 2.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
Farsala said:

I am far too lazy to explain fully, because it is probably a waste of time if you can't see it already.

But I will say that I said they copied ND's style with Uncharted, not that they copied it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-how-uncharted-influenced-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886

Uncharted 2 was the push Weerasuriya needed to settle upon Ready at Dawn's shot at the big time - a big budget triple-A home console exclusive of its own after years spent making high quality handheld games in the God of War series.

"We're not trying to emulate things they've done moment to moment," he says. "We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment."

They didn't copy UC. Problem was some people seemingly expected something along those lines.

DonFerrari said:
Farsala said:

I am far too lazy to explain fully, because it is probably a waste of time if you can't see it already.

But I will say that I said they copied ND's style with Uncharted, not that they copied it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-how-uncharted-influenced-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886

Uncharted 2 was the push Weerasuriya needed to settle upon Ready at Dawn's shot at the big time - a big budget triple-A home console exclusive of its own after years spent making high quality handheld games in the God of War series.

"We're not trying to emulate things they've done moment to moment," he says. "We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment."

Nowhere on that text it says anything similar to copy or emulate as you yourself said.

They were inspired by the idea and feelings of UC, the cinematic idea and just that. So you post about copying ND style is unfounded.

@both, Again I didn't say they copied UC but the style. Your @bold is exactly what I am talking about, and it's a 3rd person shooter.

This will be my last post on the topic.

Yeah, no. The only positive thing about the game was it’s graphics. Which is a shame, because those purty graphics come at the expense of pretty much everything else. You’re plopped down into this very cool setting but every environment is static, the experience is on rails entirely. In fact if you explore too far, in many instances you actually trigger the next cut scene and are unable to return to the area you were exploring.

Combat was generic. Enemies were extremely cliche characters. Sniper guy, cover guy, shotgun guy. A couple moderately cool guns that get old very quick. NPCs that are dumb as fuck and will stand in your way during gunfights and just stand there when you’re waiting on them to open a door to advance the story.

That said, if the narrative the game wanted to tell was actually any good, I’d have forgiven all the other sins. But the story is shit. Your team gets zero backstory, the grail gets zero lore, the boss fights are actually recycled, you never actually fight the main enemy, and it ends in a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

https://youtu.be/vG0zJ89Fv8c

This sums up my thoughts on the game rather well. I got the plat in either 5.5 or 6.5 hours. I wrote a review here. I think I gave it a 5? Honestly that was too nice on it. Game sucks ass imho.

Nice Graphics
Short
Story was OK
Dumb repeated Boss battles with QT events
Combat was shallow

All in all, unremarkable game.

No it was crap. And I played it how it was meant to be played. On a 2.4.1 130'' screen.

8 hours wasted on a great concept (more so time period then gameplay concept).

We had a metascore prediction thread. My prediction (65 IIRC) was the closest one. Good times, hehe.

Last edited by okr - on 06 January 2018