By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 - most underrated

Farsala said:
I think it is rated just how it should have been. Should have launched at $40 like Ratchet and Clank.

Even though I am an Uncharted fan, this game brought very little value in comparison. Uncharted did everything better including graphics, gameplay, story length, online play, etc. One might think comparing the 2 games is not ideal since it's ND, but I disagree since they chose to copy ND's style but in doing so brought nothing new to the table and worse for the exact same price of $60.

I fail to see how they copied UC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
celador said:
i'm gonna wait until it's on PS Plus, which hopefully it will this year

it was such a good reveal and idea and they really messed it up from what I've seen, and made something completely average. I wish someone else could have a go on it, make it a longer game with more open areas, like a Bioshock for example. Won't happen now of course

R@D was in way over their heads. Before The Order, they were making Wii ports and PSP titles. They should’ve never taken on such a high budget project without greatly expanding their team first. My guess is, they convinced Sony somehow that they could make the next huge AAA IP for them, with their small team. I agree, hopefully Sony gives it another chance, but has someone else do it. 

I don't think that was the problem though.

The gunplay and melee attacks were well done, the problem was they didn't focus enough on that and too much elsewhere.

So in the end its a gorgeous game with great story telling, but fails hardest on gameplay. The game is judged poorly because its just not that fun, I didn't bother replaying it because its so story driven.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 06 January 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Definitely a good game. No one would have complained if they'd have sold it at 40 back then. The 60 price tag for 7 realistically hours of playtime was a bit much. Sadly the game had a hate campaign even before it was released, it wasn't funny at all. Mostly because people simple were expecting another Gears instead of the cinematic, narrative driven game that it was advertised as. I'd definitely put the game above Quantum Break and Ryse, no discussion.

I think Gallahad and his pals (the girl especially..what was her name?!) were some of the most interesting characters in a long time...I'd gladly know how their story continues.. it had just begun.

DonFerrari said:
Farsala said:
I think it is rated just how it should have been. Should have launched at $40 like Ratchet and Clank.

Even though I am an Uncharted fan, this game brought very little value in comparison. Uncharted did everything better including graphics, gameplay, story length, online play, etc. One might think comparing the 2 games is not ideal since it's ND, but I disagree since they chose to copy ND's style but in doing so brought nothing new to the table and worse for the exact same price of $60.

I am far too lazy to explain fully, because it is probably a waste of time if you can't see it already.

But I will say that I said they copied ND's style with Uncharted, not that they copied it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-how-uncharted-influenced-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886

Uncharted 2 was the push Weerasuriya needed to settle upon Ready at Dawn's shot at the big time - a big budget triple-A home console exclusive of its own after years spent making high quality handheld games in the God of War series.

"We're not trying to emulate things they've done moment to moment," he says. "We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment."

caffeinade said:
Just go play Half-Life 2.
12 hours of bliss.

12 hours?! Did you play on easy?!

Around the Network
Farsala said:
DonFerrari said:

I am far too lazy to explain fully, because it is probably a waste of time if you can't see it already.

But I will say that I said they copied ND's style with Uncharted, not that they copied it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-how-uncharted-influenced-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886

Uncharted 2 was the push Weerasuriya needed to settle upon Ready at Dawn's shot at the big time - a big budget triple-A home console exclusive of its own after years spent making high quality handheld games in the God of War series.

"We're not trying to emulate things they've done moment to moment," he says. "We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment."

They didn't copy UC. Problem was some people seemingly expected something along those lines.

Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:

R@D was in way over their heads. Before The Order, they were making Wii ports and PSP titles. They should’ve never taken on such a high budget project without greatly expanding their team first. My guess is, they convinced Sony somehow that they could make the next huge AAA IP for them, with their small team. I agree, hopefully Sony gives it another chance, but has someone else do it. 

The gunplay and melee attacks were well done, the problem was they didn't focus enough on that too much elsewhere.

So in the end its a gorgeous game with great story telling, but fails hardest on gameplay. The game is judged poor because its just not that fun, I didn't bother replaying it because its so story driven.

Yeah I agree. The Order didn’t fail because RAD was unprepared; it failed because the studio focused on, in my opinion, the wrong elements. Heck, the game’s director said storytelling and graphics were the most important things.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The gunplay and melee attacks were well done, the problem was they didn't focus enough on that too much elsewhere.

So in the end its a gorgeous game with great story telling, but fails hardest on gameplay. The game is judged poor because its just not that fun, I didn't bother replaying it because its so story driven.

Yeah I agree. The Order didn’t fail because RAD was unprepared; it failed because the studio focused on, in my opinion, the wrong elements. Heck, the game’s director said storytelling and graphics were the most important things.

It was...it was supposed to be more like a Telltale game than Gears or Uncharted. If that's wrong is very subjective, but people definitely had the wrong expectations.

Farsala said:
DonFerrari said:

Nowhere on that text it says anything similar to copy or emulate as you yourself said.

They were inspired by the idea and feelings of UC, the cinematic idea and just that. So you post about copying ND style is unfounded.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's the usual thing: the game got overhyped way too much. This is understandable, at the time the PS4 had not much exclusives that weren't ports. So The Order was hyped into overdrive. If it was just marketed as a solid mid-level game (which it is) at maybe lower price, this would have taken on good. But as the commercials and hype was saying something else, many that bought it felt deceived. That is all.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]