By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42352606

TLDR:

Crytek, maker of the CryEngine game engine, is suing the team behind Star Citizen for breach of contract. The lawsuit says CIG and RSI improperly removed the CryEngine logo when the game boots up, and that the teams failed to properly disclose modifications to CryEngine 3 as part of their licensing agreement.

CIG and RSI is selling two games, Squadron 42 and the Star Citizen Persistent Universe. Crytek says that since both use the same code, that constitutes using the engine twice and represents a further breach of contract.

Well, this will surely disrupt development of the games that is already more than five years in development.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 15 December 2017

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
twintail said:
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Crytek loses. CIG are using Amazon's engine aren't they?

I feel details are missing to be able to properly tell.

Amazon bought it from........ . . . . . .   .  .     .    .      . Crytek. Dun dun dunnnnnnn

https://kotaku.com/sources-amazon-spent-big-bucks-on-cryteks-engine-1696008878

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Fcuk crytek, greedy shits

Crytek has had years to converse with the Star Citizen developers and has failed to do so.

They are being a-typical of a company that is going backwards financially, where they resort to litigation to make a few bucks.

Hopefully if they are a successful they won't "forget" to pay their employees for weeks/months and close/sell a heap of studio's. But I doubt it, they seem to be keen on pandering to small markets like VR which simply isn't bringing in the revenue they need.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Well, not suprised they've become trolls in the end, given how Yerlis were always full of shit - they made one outstanding game (FarCry 1) and fairly good engine...and that's it.

Around the Network

A last Cry for help before their inevitable doom. Wouldn't be the first Germans who dreamed a bit too big.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

deskpro2k3 said:

Well, this will surely disrupt development of the games that is already more than five years in development.

As a programmer myself (although not game development), I can say that this probably doesn't affect development at all. The programming can't do anything about it and just do as before. This is for the legal department to sort out. And it doesn't sound that bad, as that the managers stop development or take away resources. Why should they? Crytek want money, not to stop development. They will fight about this in court. And while that happens development runs behind the scenes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Bristow9091 said:

I'm just gonna' say it; Fuck. Star. Citizen.

Seriously, I keep hearing about it and how much money they've got from crowdfunding, my brother actually spent over £800 on virtual ships... before they even added them to the game or whatever! He just got an email telling him his ships would be ready to view when the beta released or something, and when the time arrived, oh wow he can walk around a space dock and look at these ships and fly them around a little bit, and he was like "Oh my god this is the best thing ever" and I'm like "... But you've just spent £800 on spaceships...", apparently he didn't care though, lol.

And after all this time, how close is it to being out? Because my brother lost interest in it ages ago, he doesn't follow the development of it and has moved onto new games... still has £800 worth of ships though if he ever wants to go back, so that's something I suppose.

Normally games being in early access or on kickstarter or whatever for so long doesn't bother me, but with Star Citizen just everytime I see mention of it, it irks me... not sure what it is, but yeah.

tl;dr Glad they're getting sued.

You gotta get your brother some help.  Seriously.  Spending that kind of money in-game may be indicative of some sort of mental health problem (unless he is very wealthy).  

Does anyone remember the Too Human Engine dispute? It ended with Silicon Knights not being able to sell the game.

"Silicon Knights has been forced to recall and destroy all unsold copies of their Unreal Engine games"

I would be laughing so hard if that happens here.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
Does anyone remember the Too Human Engine dispute? It ended with Silicon Knights not being able to sell the game.

"Silicon Knights has been forced to recall and destroy all unsold copies of their Unreal Engine games"

I would be laughing so hard if that happens here.

Well, joke's on them. Can't burn copies of a game that doesn't exist.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.