By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

If I'm not wrong Sve have a good system, why does he need to change it? Does it use a new HDR protocol?

HDR protocol?.

No, as far as I've seen, it's a system that can handle ED, but not on the same scale as Pem/CGI/Desk and my rig specs.

ED being?

And thought you were talking about TV/projector and audio, not the processing part.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

ED being?

And thought you were talking about TV/projector and audio, not the processing part.

Elite Dangerous? 

I was on about the system to run the game, not the layout setup. 

This is also getting off topic already btw, so we should keep on track.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:
It's about time someone sues them over something.

Luckily I 'only' pledged $35 to this mess and it still says estimated delivery Nov 2014.
Elite Dangerous which started later has fully scratched my space itch already.

Then your itch has been scratched, and everyone else wanting a bigger and more expansive game, can wait for this one

Besides, with what it requires, it'd ask for you to upgrade your home cinema system to handle it, which afaik you aren't planning to do at anytime soon. 

Eh, I've moved on to VR. What decade will Star Citizen come out for VR :)

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

If I'm not wrong Sve have a good system, why does he need to change it? Does it use a new HDR protocol?

HDR protocol?.

No, as far as I've seen, it's a system that can handle ED, but not on the same scale as Pem/CGI/Desk and my rig specs.

My 'system' can't really handle ED anymore either. I was waiting to upgrade my PC for SC, yet now it's so old it needs a complete revamp. Ancient i7 and everything else. I played most of ED on my laptop, yet now it gets hot really fast and the sound starts cutting out.

I've found new time sinks, GT Sport and Skyrim VR. I would love to play something like ED or SC in VR yet headsets need to vastly improve first to be able to show a pretty starry sky. It's fine for Skyrim, yet where space is the main feature, big pixel stars don't cut it. ST bridge crew did work pretty well, yet that's mainly focused on being in the ship and tactical displays. The outside was meh. One day space exploration in VR is going to be great.

SvennoJ said:

Eh, I've moved on to VR. What decade will Star Citizen come out for VR :)

VR seems more your thing atm, gathering from your pics and posts, which isn't a bad thing in any way, it's what you want to do.

I don't think SC is going to be putting a lot into VR. They have shown a small demo of testing it, but outside of the single player and MP based sides of the game, I don't see them putting a whole lot into VR. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

My 'system' can't really handle ED anymore either. I was waiting to upgrade my PC for SC, yet now it's so old it needs a complete revamp. Ancient i7 and everything else. I played most of ED on my laptop, yet now it gets hot really fast and the sound starts cutting out.

I've found new time sinks, GT Sport and Skyrim VR. I would love to play something like ED or SC in VR yet headsets need to vastly improve first to be able to show a pretty starry sky. It's fine for Skyrim, yet where space is the main feature, big pixel stars don't cut it. ST bridge crew did work pretty well, yet that's mainly focused on being in the ship and tactical displays. The outside was meh. One day space exploration in VR is going to be great.

Personally, though my system can handle VR games, I'm waiting out for refined headsets, as well as the games themselves to improve over time and for new games to come out being geared fully for VR (polish and all).

Chazore said:

Personally, though my system can handle VR games, I'm waiting out for refined headsets, as well as the games themselves to improve over time and for new games to come out being geared fully for VR (polish and all).

It's good enough already as a main source of entertainment, just not very suited to space games with a lot of down time. I didn't wait with 3D games before they got polished either. Duke Nukem 3D aiming with arrow keys, no jump, can't look up, TR with tank controls, 3D platformers on consoles with awkward camera controls, great times.

Star Citizen seems to want to be the new Crysis. I does look lovely yet graphics aren't everything. Most of my play time of GT Sport is on my crappy old tv while the 4K HDR tv is in use. I don't even notice the screen corruption while racing. I have been appreciating smoother frame rates lately, VR has that covered at least :)

SvennoJ said: 

Star Citizen seems to want to be the new Crysis. I does look lovely yet graphics aren't everything. Most of my play time of GT Sport is on my crappy old tv while the 4K HDR tv is in use. I don't even notice the screen corruption while racing. I have been appreciating smoother frame rates lately, VR has that covered at least :)

The thing is, is that graphics are one with going for the game, but it also features more than just graphics. Like being able to fly from a space station, straight to a entering a planet's atmosphere and flying around that planet, choosing where you wish to land, rather than magically teleporting to a base on that planet or being on rails and guided towards a base. 

Then there are the mechanics involved with getting out of your ship in the middle of space, as well as transverse on a planet with low gravity by foot or vehicle. The fact that we have to enter our ships via calling down a small lift, opening the hatch by hand, calling the lift up, going inside the ship and walking towards your seat, sitting down and starting up your ship, making sure all systems are go, is something that not many space sim games out there do, let alone many open world games in general. People really dig the level of immersion that the game gives, and the graphics are just a part of the game that adds to it overall. 

shikamaru317 said:

In other words, Crytek saw that $170m in crowdfunding milestone they crossed and decided they wanted a piece of that pie. Crytek has been struggling and on the verge of bankruptcy for years, due to poor decisions; decisions such as focusing on graphics over gameplay and story, and then ending AAA development and focusing on F2P and VR. Everybody is going with Unreal 4 instead of CryEngine 5 and Crytek is on their last legs now, they've sold just about everything they can sell to stay afloat, and they're hoping to win some money here to stay afloat longer.

I think it's mostly due to that, but I also think it's because of this as well:

https://siliconangle.com/blog/2017/12/08/crytek-crycash-team-mint-gaming-cryptocurrency/

http://www.pcgamer.com/crytek-partners-with-crycash-to-launch-a-cryptocurrency-for-gamers/

They want to shove it into their F2P game, Warface, as well as other games going forward, especially with partners. They know they need a substantial amount of money to pour into this insane scammy system and there is no one nearby them with a large sum than RSI.

Star Citizen was crowdfunded,(A.K.A. free money) and yet they still have the audacity to charge microtransactions (ships) for their game. Why isn't anybody that funded the game up in arms over their pricing model?