By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine

Cerebralbore101 said:
Star Citizen was crowdfunded,(A.K.A. free money) and yet they still have the audacity to charge microtransactions (ships) for their game. Why isn't anybody that funded the game up in arms over their pricing model?

Aren't the microtransactions a part of the croudfunding?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Star Citizen was crowdfunded,(A.K.A. free money) and yet they still have the audacity to charge microtransactions (ships) for their game. Why isn't anybody that funded the game up in arms over their pricing model?

How could they be? Didn't they get funded on kickstarter or something? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah, but I assume the microtransactions are helping found the game as well.

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

ED being?

And thought you were talking about TV/projector and audio, not the processing part.

Elite Dangerous? 

I was on about the system to run the game, not the layout setup. 

This is also getting off topic already btw, so we should keep on track.

Owww I see, my bad.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Because some people love to part with their money

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, but I assume the microtransactions are helping found the game as well.

I just looked it up. They only funded 2.1 million through kickstarter. So yeah, they've been counting the microtransactions as part of the "crowdfunding" for this game. That's how they are able to say the game was funded for over 100 million or whatever. It's nothing but a bunch of marketing lies. 

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Pemalite said:

Amazon licensed/bought the engine from Crytek and turned it into it's own game engine dubbed "Lumberjack". - That is what Cloud Imperium Games is using as a base for StarCitizen.

Lumberjack is based on the architecture of CryEngine. If it's not using cryteks codes then I think there is no problem.

...That is what I said. Essentially.

DonFerrari said:

We would need the purchase terms to be sure what was the clauses. And again their licensing through Amazon may have had other issues that open for the suing. But sure considering both points I wouldn't put that CIG done it out of ill intent.

Before knowing the details we don't know how much of the burden is deserved to them.

Sure, if Amazon have total control over every aspect of the engine and can use any way without Amazon or any licensed needing to make any mention of Crytek, etc, then Crytek would be totally of and will lose money on the suing... I don't think they are dumb enough to put a sue in a case like this. At most they would look for a settling with CIG pressuring they to pay to not get the game in trouble, going to the court will just make things slower.

Well. If the engine purchase terms is enough to give them total control of the engine in the event Crytek folded/Got sold off, then we can assume Cloud Imperium Games is in a very good legal position either way.

One must assume that Amazon will be dragged into this at some point as well, THAT will be interesting if it happens.

shikamaru317 said:

Crytek has been struggling and on the verge of bankruptcy for years, due to poor decisions; decisions such as focusing on graphics over gameplay and story, and then ending AAA development and focusing on F2P and VR.

Crytek focusing on "graphics" is what put them on the map in the first place, FarCry and Crysis being prime examples. Crysis sold especially well on PC as it essentially became a viral meme.

And then Crysis 2 happened, the game felt small, confined and scaled back compared to the first game, mostly because they had to pander for lower-end console platforms, which could be argued that it damaged the brand.

shikamaru317 said:

Everybody is going with Unreal 4 instead of CryEngine 5 and Crytek is on their last legs now, they've sold just about everything they can sell to stay afloat, and they're hoping to win some money here to stay afloat longer.

When they also lost the ability to pay their employees, they lost allot of vital people who helped develop CryEngine itself, some even went over to Bethesda to help build out iD Tech.
You can't just get that talent back overnight either.

But you are right... Unless the developer/publisher is using it's own engine, then chances are they are licensing Unreal Engine 4.

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Because the funding continued after the initial kickstarter campaign and continues to this very day.
Those "Microtransactions" have accrued 170 million smacko's to fund and make the game.

Although I am of the firm belief that the microtransactions are stupidly excessive.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I just looked it up. They only funded 2.1 million through kickstarter. So yeah, they've been counting the microtransactions as part of the "crowdfunding" for this game. That's how they are able to say the game was funded for over 100 million or whatever. It's nothing but a bunch of marketing lies. 

How it is a lie when they are using the sale of those digital goods to build the game? It's not like they haven't been upfront about where their revenue is coming from, they have actually been extremely transparent.

I mean, after the game is made, then sure. It will likely be profit.
I am actually interested to see what the company does after StarCitizen is released.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Lumberjack is based on the architecture of CryEngine. If it's not using cryteks codes then I think there is no problem.

...That is what I said. Essentially.

DonFerrari said:

We would need the purchase terms to be sure what was the clauses. And again their licensing through Amazon may have had other issues that open for the suing. But sure considering both points I wouldn't put that CIG done it out of ill intent.

Before knowing the details we don't know how much of the burden is deserved to them.

Sure, if Amazon have total control over every aspect of the engine and can use any way without Amazon or any licensed needing to make any mention of Crytek, etc, then Crytek would be totally of and will lose money on the suing... I don't think they are dumb enough to put a sue in a case like this. At most they would look for a settling with CIG pressuring they to pay to not get the game in trouble, going to the court will just make things slower.

Well. If the engine purchase terms is enough to give them total control of the engine in the event Crytek folded/Got sold off, then we can assume Cloud Imperium Games is in a very good legal position either way.

One must assume that Amazon will be dragged into this at some point as well, THAT will be interesting if it happens.

shikamaru317 said:

Crytek has been struggling and on the verge of bankruptcy for years, due to poor decisions; decisions such as focusing on graphics over gameplay and story, and then ending AAA development and focusing on F2P and VR.

Crytek focusing on "graphics" is what put them on the map in the first place, FarCry and Crysis being prime examples. Crysis sold especially well on PC as it essentially became a viral meme.

And then Crysis 2 happened, the game felt small, confined and scaled back compared to the first game, mostly because they had to pander for lower-end console platforms, which could be argued that it damaged the brand.

shikamaru317 said:

Everybody is going with Unreal 4 instead of CryEngine 5 and Crytek is on their last legs now, they've sold just about everything they can sell to stay afloat, and they're hoping to win some money here to stay afloat longer.

When they also lost the ability to pay their employees, they lost allot of vital people who helped develop CryEngine itself, some even went over to Bethesda to help build out iD Tech.
You can't just get that talent back overnight either.

But you are right... Unless the developer/publisher is using it's own engine, then chances are they are licensing Unreal Engine 4.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Because the funding continued after the initial kickstarter campaign and continues to this very day.
Those "Microtransactions" have accrued 170 million smacko's to fund and make the game.

Although I am of the firm belief that the microtransactions are stupidly excessive.

Cerebralbore101 said:

How it is a lie when they are using the sale of those digital goods to build the game? It's not like they haven't been upfront about where their revenue is coming from, they have actually been extremely transparent.

I mean, after the game is made, then sure. It will likely be profit.
I am actually interested to see what the company does after StarCitizen is released.

Amazon probably will be dragged and it will either be ugly to crytek or they will gain some money to drop the suing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That's not crowdfunding though, it's sales. They bill this game as the record holder for crowdfunding, in order to generate more hype. When you say a game was crowdfunded for 150 million, that brings up images of an out of this world wildly successful kickstarter campaign. In reality they are just making money off of early access sales and a ridiculous pricing model. 

The cycle goes like this...

1. Sell MTS to generate revenue. 

2. Claim that revenue as "crowdfunded" when it's really just sales. 

3. Sell more MTS based on the hype generated by the "crowdfunded" lie. 

4. Repeat the above as long as you possibly can. Never release your game. 

Chazore said:

The thing is, is that graphics are one with going for the game, but it also features more than just graphics. Like being able to fly from a space station, straight to a entering a planet's atmosphere and flying around that planet, choosing where you wish to land, rather than magically teleporting to a base on that planet or being on rails and guided towards a base. 

Then there are the mechanics involved with getting out of your ship in the middle of space, as well as transverse on a planet with low gravity by foot or vehicle. The fact that we have to enter our ships via calling down a small lift, opening the hatch by hand, calling the lift up, going inside the ship and walking towards your seat, sitting down and starting up your ship, making sure all systems are go, is something that not many space sim games out there do, let alone many open world games in general. People really dig the level of immersion that the game gives, and the graphics are just a part of the game that adds to it overall. 

True that all sounds great. I've already done most of that in ED though. Approaching a planet, fighting gravity while landing from space, choosing a flat spot to land, safely set down, dispatch the buggy to drive around around in low of high gravity while finding artifacts or mining rocks. Then call the ship down again, load the buggy back in, and carefully take off to jump to the next system. And it all works in the same game, no different modules or extra load times. I did move on to other games before they added the ability to walk through the cockpit, when I played you could only look around from the pilot seat.

It's a different approach to making a game. SC seems so fragmented, a lot of very deep yet disconnected parts. While ED started out a mile wide and slowly added more detail like planetary landings. Yet it all worked seamlessly together from day one. Ofcourse SC is still waiting for day one to bring it all together. So far it mostly lives on the dream of this perfect space sim. It's interesting to follow where its going, I'm just not that interested in trying it out anymore.

Perhaps the itch will come back by the time SC matures :) It was great exploring the galaxy, going half a year without seeing a space station, visiting nebula all over the milky way, going through the dense center of the galaxy to the far out reaches 65k ly from Earth. It really gave me a sense of how unbelievably big the galaxy alone is and a good sense of what a 300 billion stars means. You got to fly through it to get an idea. Then you sit on the edge of the galaxy and look at the tiny blip of Andromeda in the dark sky with the bright disk of our galaxy behind you. Quite a special moment. One day I hope to make that pilgrimage again in VR :)

shikamaru317 said:

It may have been what put them on the map, but it was also what ultimately lead to their downfall. Their AAA budgets were just too high for the level of sales they were getting, because that level of graphical fidelity is expensive. Crysis 3 cost them $66m to develop despite only having 23 months of development with a team of 100 people, and the sales just didn't justify that budget, which is why EA dropped them instead of funding a new AAA Crysis. Ryse ultimately failed as well due to focusing on graphics over gameplay and story. Now they are just a shell of what they once were, focusing on F2P and VR games. 

Well. Sales wise, I think Crysis 1 sold better than Crysis 3 anyway as it's still selling digitally on PC every steam sale.

Cerebralbore101 said:

That's not crowdfunding though, it's sales.

It's both. They aren't mutually exclusive you know.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--