By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine

Pemalite said:

deskpro2k3 said:

it's still using cryteks codes. not sure what the agreement is with CryEngine and Amazon though.

Amazon licensed/bought the engine from Crytek and turned it into it's own game engine dubbed "Lumberjack". - That is what Cloud Imperium Games is using as a base for StarCitizen.

Lumberjack is based on the architecture of CryEngine. If it's not using cryteks codes then I think there is no problem.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 15 December 2017

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

Eeeer if you have a contract one not assume anything, they follow the contract. But as you said, even open source is very keen on you removing the original developer name from it. And from the OP, it seems to have been several breach of contract.

Doing some digging. Apparently Cloud Imperium games did an outright purchase of the engine and source code last year in the event that they would be covered if Crytek did go bankrupt. (As that was becoming a real possibility at the time.)

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/22782/article/star-citizen-dev-responds-to-crytek-going-under-fears/

Which means that, not only did Cloud Imperium Games own the complete rights to CryEngine, the source and it's use, but it should have negated any and all prior contracts as a new contract superseded the old one.
Then we have the fact they aren't using that fork of the CryEngine now anyway, they have instead licensed it from Amazon.

DonFerrari said:
I didn't say we can't put burden on them, I said we can't put ALL the burden, meaning if you don't know if CIG have any deal with crytek or if their contract with amazon tied it, we can't say it's all on Crytek.

You put as much of the burden on them as they deserve. No more and no less.

DonFerrari said:
Not knowing details on the contract we actually don't know if Crytek isn't a party on Amazon contract.

Doesn't matter.

deskpro2k3 said:

it's still using cryteks codes. not sure what the agreement is with CryEngine and Amazon though.

Amazon licensed/bought the engine from Crytek and turned it into it's own game engine dubbed "Lumberjack". - That is what Cloud Imperium Games is using as a base for StarCitizen.

DonFerrari said:

But in case the one breaching contract is Amazon by selling the license of their engine based on CryEngine3 then they should sue Amazon... we'll have to wait for more data.

Unless of course Amazon has the license to issue licenses for other party's to freely license it's licensed engine.

We would need the purchase terms to be sure what was the clauses. And again their licensing through Amazon may have had other issues that open for the suing. But sure considering both points I wouldn't put that CIG done it out of ill intent.

Before knowing the details we don't know how much of the burden is deserved to them.

Sure, if Amazon have total control over every aspect of the engine and can use any way without Amazon or any licensed needing to make any mention of Crytek, etc, then Crytek would be totally of and will lose money on the suing... I don't think they are dumb enough to put a sue in a case like this. At most they would look for a settling with CIG pressuring they to pay to not get the game in trouble, going to the court will just make things slower.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's about time someone sues them over something.

Luckily I 'only' pledged $35 to this mess and it still says estimated delivery Nov 2014.
Elite Dangerous which started later has fully scratched my space itch already.

SvennoJ said:

Luckily I 'only' pledged $35 to this mess and it still says estimated delivery Nov 2014.

Then your itch has been scratched, and everyone else wanting a bigger and more expansive game, can wait for this one

Besides, with what it requires, it'd ask for you to upgrade your home cinema system to handle it, which afaik you aren't planning to do at anytime soon. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It sounds like Crytec is getting desperate

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Same for me and Elite. Once I played Elite Dangerous I stopped caring for SC.

"Tell me why does it have to be so hard

to let go when it?s your final day

...When death is on it's way"

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

Then your itch has been scratched, and everyone else wanting a bigger and more expansive game, can wait for this one

Besides, with what it requires, it'd ask for you to upgrade your home cinema system to handle it, which afaik you aren't planning to do at anytime soon. 

If I'm not wrong Sve have a good system, why does he need to change it? Does it use a new HDR protocol?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

m0ney said:
HoloDust said: 

you sure you've played original PC version and not cutdown console port back in days?

lol what console ports, the time it came out (2003 or 2004?) no console was capable of running something like that. I think I upgraded my video card to play it. Everyone was amazed by the realism of tropical island, in game magazines all they did was talk about how great the jungle and the water was, but the game itself was poor. Same thing happened in 1998 with Unreal.

Far Cry Instincts from 2005...as I said earlier, cutdown port of PC game.

I found gfx to be nice (though I liked Riddick, from the same year, more), but level design and clever enemies were what made me like it so much.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

DonFerrari said:

If I'm not wrong Sve have a good system, why does he need to change it? Does it use a new HDR protocol?

HDR protocol?.

No, as far as I've seen, it's a system that can handle ED, but not on the same scale as Pem/CGI/Desk and my rig specs.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Azzanation said:
It sounds like Crytec is getting desperate

They are, because they need a decent amount of money to sink it into their virtual currency idea they have running. They want to "put back into it", but for that, they need a large sum of money to do so, all while still having to pay staff that they still haven't fully paid off yet. 

I'm still amazed at the few here, who are very willing to tread on CRI, yet support a company that hasn't done much for the industry in years, and has been reported on not paying their own staff for some time.