By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine

Porcupine_I said:
Does anyone remember the Too Human Engine dispute? It ended with Silicon Knights not being able to sell the game.

"Silicon Knights has been forced to recall and destroy all unsold copies of their Unreal Engine games"

I would be laughing so hard if that happens here.

I think most people have the impression Crytek is looking for money. Which wouldn't be surprising given their situation over the past few years. The scale of their games has gone downhill.

With Silicon Knights, they actually attempted to sue Epic and it was a disaster for them.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
they made one outstanding game (FarCry 1)

One of the worst games I played - bullet sponge enemies spot you from 200 meters through jungle foliage and shoot with 100% precision, and respawn if you don't push forward. After initial parts jungle is replaced by bland corridors and you get even bigger bullet sponge enemies.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Pemalite said:
Crytek has had years to converse with the Star Citizen developers and has failed to do so.

They are being a-typical of a company that is going backwards financially, where they resort to litigation to make a few bucks.

Hopefully if they are a successful they won't "forget" to pay their employees for weeks/months and close/sell a heap of studio's. But I doubt it, they seem to be keen on pandering to small markets like VR which simply isn't bringing in the revenue they need.

Don't forget about their recent venture, into wanting to craft their own virtual currency, while also "putting money back into it". Where else are they going to get enough money to put into their virtual currency?, suing the shit out of someone they know of course!.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/daily-glixel-crytek-now-has-its-own-cryptocurrency-w513693

They've had years to go through all this, but they only do this now because they are suffering financially, not paying their employees, and also trying to scam folk with typical virtual currency. They need to win the case, or they will be totally fucked on maintaing that currency of theirs, let alone paying their staff.

People here are all "fuck the game I don't care about that's taking the time it actually needs", when in reality, people should be telling the company that's fucking itself and staff members over, while also seeking to screw people over with a virtual currency, to go jog on.

Crytek hasn't done anything amazing or worthwhile in years. CR is trying to make an open world space sim game, a game millions have been clamouring years for, that no other AAA developer out there would bother batting an eye to work on one such game.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Bristow9091 said:

I'm just gonna' say it; Fuck. Star. Citizen.

Seriously, I keep hearing about it and how much money they've got from crowdfunding, my brother actually spent over £800 on virtual ships... before they even added them to the game or whatever! He just got an email telling him his ships would be ready to view when the beta released or something, and when the time arrived, oh wow he can walk around a space dock and look at these ships and fly them around a little bit, and he was like "Oh my god this is the best thing ever" and I'm like "... But you've just spent £800 on spaceships...", apparently he didn't care though, lol.

And after all this time, how close is it to being out? Because my brother lost interest in it ages ago, he doesn't follow the development of it and has moved onto new games... still has £800 worth of ships though if he ever wants to go back, so that's something I suppose.

Normally games being in early access or on kickstarter or whatever for so long doesn't bother me, but with Star Citizen just everytime I see mention of it, it irks me... not sure what it is, but yeah.

tl;dr Glad they're getting sued.

The fuck does your brother do where he can just throwaway £800 like that?

vivster said:

A last Cry for help before their inevitable doom. Wouldn't be the first Germans who dreamed a bit too big.

The trauma runs deep in the genetic memory I see.

OT - maybe they can come up with a "help our legal costs" $1000 concept art spaceship now.

Around the Network

The game will still come out in 2020+
This will result in almost nothing.

Chazore said:

People here are all "fuck the game I don't care about that's taking the time it actually needs", when in reality, people should be telling the company that's fucking itself and staff members over, while also seeking to screw people over with a virtual currency, to go jog on.

Not to mention StarCitizen is funded by PC gamers, for PC gamers and has a shit-ton of support behind it, so Crytek is taking away money from a project that PC gamers have invested in.

I would not be surprised if Crytek cops a massive amount of flack taking away funding for a game funded by the PC community by tieing it up in legal processes... Then again... I wouldn't pity them for it, just like EA's massive amount of negativity surrounding loot boxes.

Chazore said:

Crytek hasn't done anything amazing or worthwhile in years. CR is trying to make an open world space sim game, a game millions have been clamouring years for, that no other AAA developer out there would bother batting an eye to work on one such game.

Ryse was the last notable release and that was meh...
Otherwise... I need to go back to Crysis 1 to remember the last time I was amazed by anything Crytek did... And ironically, that was their last PC exclusive.

And you are right, PC gamers have been begging for a grand space sim for years, we had a few good entries, but they always left you wanting or required a phone-book sized manual to play.

It's actually a missed opportunity for consoles as well. Microsoft is sitting on the Freelancer I.P. after-all.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

So is the gloat bloated game under danger?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pemalite said:
Chazore said:

Not to mention StarCitizen is funded by PC gamers, for PC gamers and has a shit-ton of support behind it, so Crytek is taking away money from a project that PC gamers have invested in.

I would not be surprised if Crytek cops a massive amount of flack taking away funding for a game funded by the PC community by tieing it up in legal processes... Then again... I wouldn't pity them for it, just like EA's massive amount of negativity surrounding loot boxes.

Chazore said:

Ryse was the last notable release and that was meh...
Otherwise... I need to go back to Crysis 1 to remember the last time I was amazed by anything Crytek did... And ironically, that was their last PC exclusive.

And you are right, PC gamers have been begging for a grand space sim for years, we had a few good entries, but they always left you wanting or required a phone-book sized manual to play.

It's actually a missed opportunity for consoles as well. Microsoft is sitting on the Freelancer I.P. after-all.

It sure seems strange that you to be putting all the blame on Crytek over the mistakes of the team developing the game, just because you are interested in the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bristow9091 said:

I'm just gonna' say it; Fuck. Star. Citizen.

Seriously, I keep hearing about it and how much money they've got from crowdfunding, my brother actually spent over £800 on virtual ships... before they even added them to the game or whatever! He just got an email telling him his ships would be ready to view when the beta released or something, and when the time arrived, oh wow he can walk around a space dock and look at these ships and fly them around a little bit, and he was like "Oh my god this is the best thing ever" and I'm like "... But you've just spent £800 on spaceships...", apparently he didn't care though, lol.

And after all this time, how close is it to being out? Because my brother lost interest in it ages ago, he doesn't follow the development of it and has moved onto new games... still has £800 worth of ships though if he ever wants to go back, so that's something I suppose.

Normally games being in early access or on kickstarter or whatever for so long doesn't bother me, but with Star Citizen just everytime I see mention of it, it irks me... not sure what it is, but yeah.

tl;dr Glad they're getting sued.

Fools and money will always part ways. There is nothin video game related on this planet that I would spend $800 on. I think for the year I spend $800 on car insurance not some virtual starship.