By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That's not crowdfunding though, it's sales.

It's both. They aren't mutually exclusive you know.

Sales =/= Capital

From Investopedia...

What is 'Crowdfunding'

Crowdfunding is the use of small amounts of capital from a large number of individuals to finance a new business venture. Crowdfunding makes use of the easy accessibility of vast networks of people through social media and crowdfunding websites to bring investors and entrepreneurs together. Crowdfunding has the potential to increase entrepreneurship by expanding the pool of investors from whom funds can be raised beyond the traditional circle of owners, relatives and venture capitalists.

Read more: Crowdfunding https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/crowdfunding.asp#ixzz51Qhi0P54 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Chazore said:

The thing is, is that graphics are one with going for the game, but it also features more than just graphics. Like being able to fly from a space station, straight to a entering a planet's atmosphere and flying around that planet, choosing where you wish to land, rather than magically teleporting to a base on that planet or being on rails and guided towards a base. 

Then there are the mechanics involved with getting out of your ship in the middle of space, as well as transverse on a planet with low gravity by foot or vehicle. The fact that we have to enter our ships via calling down a small lift, opening the hatch by hand, calling the lift up, going inside the ship and walking towards your seat, sitting down and starting up your ship, making sure all systems are go, is something that not many space sim games out there do, let alone many open world games in general. People really dig the level of immersion that the game gives, and the graphics are just a part of the game that adds to it overall. 

True that all sounds great. I've already done most of that in ED though. Approaching a planet, fighting gravity while landing from space, choosing a flat spot to land, safely set down, dispatch the buggy to drive around around in low of high gravity while finding artifacts or mining rocks. Then call the ship down again, load the buggy back in, and carefully take off to jump to the next system. And it all works in the same game, no different modules or extra load times. I did move on to other games before they added the ability to walk through the cockpit, when I played you could only look around from the pilot seat.

It's a different approach to making a game. SC seems so fragmented, a lot of very deep yet disconnected parts. While ED started out a mile wide and slowly added more detail like planetary landings. Yet it all worked seamlessly together from day one. Ofcourse SC is still waiting for day one to bring it all together. So far it mostly lives on the dream of this perfect space sim. It's interesting to follow where its going, I'm just not that interested in trying it out anymore.

Perhaps the itch will come back by the time SC matures :) It was great exploring the galaxy, going half a year without seeing a space station, visiting nebula all over the milky way, going through the dense center of the galaxy to the far out reaches 65k ly from Earth. It really gave me a sense of how unbelievably big the galaxy alone is and a good sense of what a 300 billion stars means. You got to fly through it to get an idea. Then you sit on the edge of the galaxy and look at the tiny blip of Andromeda in the dark sky with the bright disk of our galaxy behind you. Quite a special moment. One day I hope to make that pilgrimage again in VR :)

What you described seems like the difference of making a strong core foundation and adding to it versus make something very big and full of holes and then filling the holes.

Just like what happened between embraer and if I'm not wrong Bombardier on their regional jets. Embraer made a small aircraft (I think for 50 passengers) and then released bigger versions up to almost 100 passanger while Bombardier had one aroung 100 passangers and were cutting until they got to the 50... that made all versions of embraer lighter and cheaper making they lead against Bombardier on thar gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cerebralbore101 said:

Sales =/= Capital

Never said otherwise.

Cerebralbore101 said:

From Investopedia...

What is 'Crowdfunding'

Crowdfunding is the use of small amounts of capital from a large number of individuals to finance a new business venture. Crowdfunding makes use of the easy accessibility of vast networks of people through social media and crowdfunding websites to bring investors and entrepreneurs together. Crowdfunding has the potential to increase entrepreneurship by expanding the pool of investors from whom funds can be raised beyond the traditional circle of owners, relatives and venture capitalists.

Read more: Crowdfunding https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/crowdfunding.asp#ixzz51Qhi0P54 

You have just contradicted your prior statement where you said it wasn't crowdfunding.

You make this to easy for me. ;)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Sales =/= Capital

Never said otherwise.

Cerebralbore101 said:

From Investopedia...

What is 'Crowdfunding'

You have just contradicted your prior statement where you said it wasn't crowdfunding.

No part of that says that sales are crowdfunding. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Pemalite said:

Never said otherwise.

Then go look up the definition of capital and investment.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Then go look up the definition of capital and investment.

I just knew you were going to try and stretch the meaning of words. From Investopedia...

Capital refers to financial assets or the financial value of assets, such as funds held in deposit accounts, as well as the tangible machinery and production equipment used in environments such as factories and other manufacturing facilities. Additionally, capital includes facilities, such as the buildings used for the production and storage of the manufactured goods. Materials used and consumed as part of the manufacturing process do not qualify.

Read more: Capital https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capital.asp#ixzz51ayPbUDA 
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

I get your argument, but it is flawed. You are trying to say that money from sales can be defined as a financial asset, and therefore can be defined as capital. Under that definition though, a huge swath of games can be defined as crowdfunded.  For Example: Super Mario 64 was "Crowdfunded" from the sales of Super Mario World. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

I get your argument, but it is flawed. You are trying to say that money from sales can be defined as a financial asset, and therefore can be defined as capital. Under that definition though, a huge swath of games can be defined as crowdfunded.  For Example: Super Mario 64 was "Crowdfunded" from the sales of Super Mario World. 

False.

People (Crowd) are investing  in digital items/goods/services.
Cloud Imperium Games is using the capital (Funding) that they have accrued from those transactions and have used it to directly fund the development of the current title... And not a future "maybe" title (Which your analogy pertains to). - Which they have been 100% transparent about from the beginning.

Cloud Imperium Games is still crowd funding, it actually hasn't stopped since it's Kickstarter campaign, only difference now is that it shifted the crowfunding to it's own platform rather than Kickstarters.
Every buck made from people investing in the game goes towards the current games development and not some what-if future title that no one knows about until it's announced.

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

False.

People (Crowd) are investing  in digital items/goods/services.
Cloud Imperium Games is using the capital (Funding) that they have accrued from those transactions and have used it to directly fund the development of the current title... And not a future "maybe" title (Which your analogy pertains to). - Which they have been 100% transparent about from the beginning.

Cloud Imperium Games is still crowd funding, it actually hasn't stopped since it's Kickstarter campaign, only difference now is that it shifted the crowfunding to it's own platform rather than Kickstarters.
Every buck made from people investing in the game goes towards the current games development and not some what-if future title that no one knows about until it's announced.

Whether or not it is a future maybe title doesn't affect whether it is "crowdfunded" or not. All that matters is that the money came from a large group of individuals. At least if we take your frankenstein interpretation of investopedia's definition to heart. Now that that no longer works, you're moving the goalpost. You've added further requirements to your own special definition. But let's work with your special definition further. Under your definition of "crowdfunding" Skyrim's expansions were "crowdfunded" with sales of the base game. Also, under your definition of "crowdfunding" PUBG is crowdfunded by it's sales. No matter which way you slice it CIG's marketing department is full of BS. Even using your special definition, they are not the most successful "crowdfunding" campaign ever, because under your special definition there are a crapton of games with more successful "crowdfunding". 

But anyway, go ahead and keep adding things to your own definition until Star Citizen somehow matches what you want it to be. 

Star Citizen has almost hit 174 million USD, in crowd, funding!

HoloDust said:
Well, not suprised they've become trolls in the end, given how Yerlis were always full of shit - they made one outstanding game (FarCry 1) and fairly good engine...and that's it.

I don't care for the game, but don't diss with the engine that can ragdoll UEIV around like a wet rag...